Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

New Ouya Console Every Year

Interesting for anyone that is planning to purchase (or already has pre-ordered) the new Ouya console coming out...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/ex...le-every-year/

Ouya is expected to iterate every year, taking advantage of annual price drops on components for the $99 Android console.

"As it relates to iterating the console and refreshes, our strategy is very much similar to the mobile strategy. There will be a new Ouya every year," Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman told us at DICE today. "There will be an Ouya 2 and an Ouya 3. We'll take advantage of faster, better processors, take advantage of prices falling. So if we can get more than 8GB of Flash in our box, we will. And in so doing, make sure that all games are backwards compatible."

Regarding the specs of the Ouya 1, she said, "We're launching on the Tegra 3. It's a quad-core A9 chip. Because it's not a mobile device, we don't have to balance power for battery life. So when all four quads are running, it's 1.6GHz. It's gonna be the best Tegra 3 device on the market."

Games will be tied to a user's Ouya account, so even if customers upgrade annually, the plan is for them to own their content from one console to the next. Ouya also announced earlier today a partnership with Double Fine Productions and Words With Friends creator Paul Bettner. The Ouya console will be available in June.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

El Presidente
    Being able to keep previous games is a really nice thing addition here. I need to go read some more about the Ouya but this is interesting.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I know it doesn't have any kind of mind shattering power, but it will be interesting to see what smaller companies come up with having an open platform. I am just excited for the emulator aspect of it, I will easily be able to play my retro games with a crisp and clear picture on my living room TV now, which I know can be done other ways, but this setup will be much much cleaner!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Makes sense it's just like people's phones and what they do when the new iPhone comes out.

I was wondering about this for a while and assumed yearly releases so they can keep on top of the tech.

It's going to be a pain in the ass figuring out what content works on what ouya console that's for sure. As soon as they bring out multiple platforms they segregate the market and make it not as easy as it should be

Via Tapatalk

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    This ouya is interesting.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Makes sense it's just like people's phones and what they do when the new iPhone comes out.

I was wondering about this for a while and assumed yearly releases so they can keep on top of the tech.

It's going to be a pain in the ass figuring out what content works on what ouya console that's for sure. As soon as they bring out multiple platforms they segregate the market and make it not as easy as it should be

Via Tapatalk
    Yeah, I am wondering how they are going to handle that as well...but as long as they keep with the $99 price tag it will make it easier to swallow when you have to upgrade over the years!

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    . As soon as they bring out multiple platforms they segregate the market and make it not as easy as it should be

Via Tapatalk
    And I thought the point of Ouya was to release a unified android platform

BBK. Tapatalking

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    This is OK but upgrding a PC once every 5 years is outrageous?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    This is OK but upgrding a PC once every 5 years is outrageous?
    I never said anything about upgrading a PC every 5 years being outrageous, I am actually in the process of pricing out parts for a re-build later this year, which my current system is 4 years old.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I never said you said...

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    sooo i can look forward to iphone and android games on a home console every year... greaaaaaaaat.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    sooo i can look forward to iphone and android games on a home console every year... greaaaaaaaat.
    While I do see games that are on the systems now being on the console as well, I think we will end up seeing a lot of new games from the console that we wouldn't have experienced with on mobile phones. Now if it is a year down the road and all we see are the same exact games from the mobile scene then I agree to complain away!

Thread Information