Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

[Nintendo 3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance Review

Kingdom Hearts made its debut on the PS2 back in 2002. The story tells of a young boy named Sora and his companions as they fight against beings such as Nobodies and Heartless. Since 2002, Kingdom Hearts has spawned many sequels and spinoffs, and this review takes a deep dive into the latest of the series: Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.

Dream Drop Distance takes place sometime after Kingdom Hearts 2. The game basically covers the Exam Sora and Riku take to become Keyblade Masters. During the test, Sora and Riku travel to new worlds not featured in past KH games. KH:3D features some old characters as well as new ones like Quasimodo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Like the characters, there are some new and old elements in Dream Drop Distance.

This game plays just like a Kingdom Hearts game would. Although there’s no PS2 controller, the 3DS controls are not shabby either. Controlling Sora and Riku is a breeze thanks to the analog stick on the 3DS and the placement of other buttons. However, like other Kingdom Hearts, sometimes the camera can be a bit frustrating.
    The creatures Sora and Riku fight in this game are called “Dream Eaters”. I really liked the variety of Dream Eaters to fight such as the popular Panda and Elephant. Along with new beings to fight, new features such as flowmotion and status ailments make their entrance. The main problem I had was with flowmotion. I’d like to have seen more techniques in flowmotion but I have my hopes up for some more flash in Kingdom Hearts 3. Another element of this adventure is the ability to fight with the good dream eaters. Instead of Donald and Goofy, Sora and Riku fight with the dream eaters. Like Sora and Riku, dream eaters level up and learn different abilities. These abilities help Sora and Riku out as well. It’s also very addicting to cuddle with your dream eater and create many different dream eaters using raw materials from the dream eaters you fight.

The music was decent, nothing was memorable. Sora, Riku, and others are voiced mostly by the same actors and the voice acting is top notch like the other Kingdom Hearts games. Graphic wise, it’s a gorgeous 3DS title and another game that shows the power of the 3DS.

Overall, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is a great game that sets the stage for the next Kingdom Hearts game. Not only is this game a must play for Kingdom Hearts fans, but for 3DS owners as well. I highly recommend KH:3D.

Score: 8.5 out of 10.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awesome review!!!!! Good job blackwolf!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    I was waiting for someone to do this game Nice review. I personally feel that DDD is the best spin-off title the franchise has had - even edging out (by a little) Birth By Sleep.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Makes me wish I had a 3DS, but I cant justify it over one game.. x.x

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Makes me wish I had a 3DS, but I cant justify it over one game.. x.x
    I would say Resident Evil Revelations would help change your mind, but they are porting it to the PS3.

I must say, it sounds like when the 3DS gets more games your mind will change and you'll buy one. It's not my business whether you buy a 3DS, but the more the merrier.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

6. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Thanks for your contribution, you single cell organism, you! I hope that this isn't the last we've seen from you.

If I may though...I would offer the gentle encouragement to perhaps prolong your review a little next time . Just delve a bit deeper and add a few more thoughts on each aspect of the game...sound, looks, mechanics, etc.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    One of my favourite games on the 3DS without a doubt.

Adding to the index

Thread Information