Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Same as the Xbox 360 and it's RROD issue, right?
    Um, not even close. I was kidding Blacksite. You should know that buy now. DRE on PS2 and 360 RROD were probably pretty close. However, while YLOD is still an ongoing issue, I don't think it was EVEN REMOTELY close to how bad RROD was.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Um, not even close. I was kidding Blacksite. You should know that buy now. DRE on PS2 and 360 RROD were probably pretty close. However, while YLOD is still an ongoing issue, I don't think it was EVEN REMOTELY close to how bad RROD was.
    YLOD is still an ongoing issue? Thats news to me.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    YLOD is still an ongoing issue? Thats news to me.
    As in older original PS3's still kicking the bucket. Not with new PS3's. I think RROD and YLOD are gone now.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Anyone who is still on their original 60GB should play the lottery.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire_Saviour View Post
    Shipped = Sold to retailers. Nobody can track every consumer sale, so shipped numbers ARE sold numbers.

I thought people already knew this.
    Not necessarily. Unsold units can be returned by the retailer to the manufacturer as unsold merchandise.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    As in older original PS3's still kicking the bucket. Not with new PS3's. I think RROD and YLOD are gone now.
    Ok. I kinda thought thats what you meant but I was just making sure. lol

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Anyone who is still on their original 60GB should play the lottery.
    I do but i guess that I donīt have the same luck in gambling as I do in electronics, lol

I actually have 2 60gb ps3s that are still running and never ylod.

Master Guru
    The YLOD was a non issue to the majority of the PS3 user base. It was more or less a bad batch of 60 GB models. So that didn't help sales much.

The RROD however was a catastrophic fatal error that just about every 360 owner has experienced and likely experienced on multiple occasions. It greatly helped the 360's sales as people just ran out and bought a new console when theirs broke because they didn't want to wait 3 weeks to resume playing the game they were in the middle of playing.

So with all that factored, the PS3 probably passed the 360 in worldwide sales years ago if you take into account all the inflated sales of the 360 due to RROD alone.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    The YLOD was a non issue to the majority of the PS3 user base. It was more or less a bad batch of 60 GB models. So that didn't help sales much.

The RROD however was a catastrophic fatal error that just about every 360 owner has experienced and likely experienced on multiple occasions. It greatly helped the 360's sales as people just ran out and bought a new console when theirs broke because they didn't want to wait 3 weeks to resume playing the game they were in the middle of playing.

So with all that factored, the PS3 probably passed the 360 in worldwide sales years ago if you take into account all the inflated sales of the 360 due to RROD alone.
    YLOD wasnt just the 60 units, effected the later 80s too. (im talking about the partial-BC 80s, not the more or less full BC ones like the 60s)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I still remember when RROD got replaced by E74 error when the Falcon mobo revision 360's started dying. Had that happen too. It wasnt until Jasper that things started better although it was the 360 Slim that finally solved the problem.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    There's just too many hardware problems nowadays which is why I'm waiting on the Vita (which seems to be fine for the majority so far) and PS4.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    YLOD wasnt just the 60 units, effected the later 80s too. (im talking about the partial-BC 80s, not the more or less full BC ones like the 60s)
    It was the 40gb too. Mine had YLOD.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Most phats suffered from the YLOD, some of the early 120GB Slims did too though it was very rare.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member

LOL. Wow, just Wow. Bury your head in the sand much?

Even going by just the posters here the YLOD was widespread. And this is just a small sampling of the total PS3 owners. Extrapolate that out and see what you get.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    LOL. Wow, just Wow. Bury your head in the sand much? Even going by just the posters here the YLOD was widespread. And this is just a small sampling of the total PS3 owners. Extrapolate that out and see what you get. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with you but still nowhere near as widespread as the RROD.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I agree with you but still nowhere near as widespread as the RROD.
    You're 100% right.

Dedicated Member

The 70 million sales number was a solid sell through count. It's likely that Sony has sold upwards of 75 million PS3s at this point though. We haven't had an update in awhile.

Either way the PS3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales.

Even if Sony shipped 75 million, which they haven't according to their own numbers, how would that put them ahead of the 360 which at this point has passed the 76 million mark?

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Even if Sony shipped 75 million, which they haven't according to their own numbers, how would that put them ahead of the 360 which at this point has passed the 76 million mark?
    Fuzzy math

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    It shouldn't have even been that close with the PS2 userbase that Sony had. Sony failed to capitalize on what should have been another runaway success. The PS3 had everything going for it.

Thread Information