Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony's 1st party developers and the future of PS4(Rumor edition)

Did you know that porting Killzone 3's engine to the PSVita wasn't a hard task? Some coding changed while others stayed the same with added effects not found in Killzone 3. Sony obviously designed the PSvita to take advantage of carrying out such a task with the ps3.

Now lets move forward to the Playstation 4 and the possibilities. Rumors are suggesting that Sony is ditching the idea of exotic tech, which was found in the ps2 and ps3, in favor of more straightforward off the shelf pc tech. No longer should we hear about it being so difficult to take advantage of. So it's following in the steps of its handheld brother, the PsVita. Keeping everything in mind, it would seem that the PS4 will be able to take advantage of PS3 engines right out the gate. You wouldn't call it a true next gen engine but there would be great improvements over the ps3 and would definitely pass as a first wave title. Assuming that my speculation is true then it should mean that Sony's 1st party usual 2 year(a few with 3 years) dev cycle will stay into play when shifting from the Ps3 to Ps4. Maybe now Team Ico and Polyphony Digital can join the list of short cycles. Take a look at the list compiled of Sony's 1st party studios. Credit goes to KAL2006 at Gaf

I'm not even going to speculate what the first half of the list is doing. Just know that I'm very excited. No, not in that way you freaks

I do wonder if Sony will try its hand at snatching a 3rd party exclusive for the ps4. They made a big mistake letting rockstar out of their GTA contract. Agent is nowhere to be seen. Hopefully it still exist and will become their ps4 exclusive but I'm not holding my breath on that.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-08-2013 at 16:40.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yeah that's quite the list. I am excited by how the PS4 and PSV will communicate, hopefully they don't drop the ball on that one

The list needs updating as Sony has severed ties with SuperBot (unfortunately ). But yeah really exciting to see what these guys have been upto. I read that Media Molecule has only a handful of their staff working on Tearaway. Like under 10 people, lol.

There has definitely been a shift part way through this generation, in prep for ps4 I guess, where their most recognisable and successful studios have recruited a 2nd team. It seems like a pretty good idea as ideas and expertise can be bounced back and forth you'd imagine

I had completely forgotten about Ready at Dawn. Their PSP God of War's were outstanding and I think they have a fair few ex- Naughty Dog guys there.

Sony has to play it sensibly with regards to releasing these games. Hype is a given when we enter a new generation, so they should not blow their load at launch and leave months without software. Basically what is happening with WiiU and happened with Vita and 3DS iirc

Somehow I think they won't bother with money-hatting any 3rd party games. They probably should but I think they trust their own offerings to make a splash. I dunno if they will lol, but let's hope so

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Strong first party is nothing I've ever had to worry about with Sony.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I bet PSN titles are going to remain cross compatible with the PS4 and PS3. RAIN will probably be playable on both.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I bet PSN titles are going to remain cross compatible with the PS4 and PS3. RAIN will probably be playable on both.
    The is no difference in the code of a PSN title and a retail disc PS3 game. If one is compatible then the other will be as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    its nice to see sony change there mind about the ps4 hardware makeing it user friendly. devs should jump on this

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    NEED MORE THIRD PARTY EXCLUSIVES!!!! That's where the real creativity comes in..... or an extra dose at least

P.S.loved exotic tech, but I already said how I really feel about that

Thread Information