Master Poster

just lucked out with upgrades

Saw a tweet from amd saying they delayed the 8000 series cards again so decided to jump on a 7950.
    browsing Microcenter website last night going over the options, fully intent on going in and dropping $300+

Refreshed the page and saw a 7950 MSI Twin Frozer III Boost Edition for $170 after rebate with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

also picked up a Fractal Define R4.

walked out of the store feeling like I stole something.

i'll post some pics of the new build later tonight

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I love my FD R4, sweet case.

Master Poster

here's a quick picture

I might add another af140 fan in the top rear and move one of the lower front intake to the side panel.

I can guess the card was returned because of loud coil whine but in my r4 i can barely hear it.

4. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Sweet set up! I would post mine but my cable management is horrible haha
    Six Years With PSU!~ Favourite Games of all Time~ Smash Bros, Spyro, GTA series and Elder Scrolls Series
    Add me on PSN FOXY007 OR Steam psn_foxy007
    My Hardware~ Sony Bravia 240hz 3D 40".. Ps3 Slim250gig and Sony Bravia Surround Sound 5.1
    PC- i7 3930k|gtx670|8g ram|2T HDD|Bluray disc drive

Forum Sage

Nice job on keeping the airflow up by managing your cables. Can't wait until I build my next rig.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    here's a quick picture

I might add another af140 fan in the top rear and move one of the lower front intake to the side panel.

I can guess the card was returned because of loud coil whine but in my r4 i can barely hear it.
    Diggin the single sleeving on the power lines, I've been thinking about doing that to mine for awhile now. Just haven't got the gumption up to do it already.

Only pic I have of my case stored right now, sorry kinda blurry and badly lit. Was a quick shot I snapped to send to my buddy when I got a closed loop cooler on my 7850:

Yah, I need to redo my wiring. Was in too much of a rush to close it up.

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Diggin the single sleeving on the power lines, I've been thinking about doing that to mine for awhile now. Just haven't got the gumption up to do it already.

Only pic I have of my case stored right now, sorry kinda blurry and badly lit. Was a quick shot I snapped to send to my buddy when I got a closed loop cooler on my 7850:

Yah, I need to redo my wiring. Was in too much of a rush to close it up.
    Did you set up the cooler yourself?
    I've always wanted to get into water cooling stuff but just afraid the time money and effort wont be worth it.

corsair makes a nice closed loop cpu cooler that i've looked into, maybe theres something similar for gpus.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Did you set up the cooler yourself?
    I've always wanted to get into water cooling stuff but just afraid the time money and effort wont be worth it.

corsair makes a nice closed loop cpu cooler that i've looked into, maybe theres something similar for gpus.
    Actually that _is_ a closed loop cpu cooler on my 7850
    (An Antec Kuhler 620 to be exact)

I've got two in my case, one on the cpu and one on the gpu. Had the bracket cut so I could mount the waterblock on the gpu, radiator is mounted in the bottom 140mm intake vent in my case. You can barely see it in that pic. My gpu temps on air were hitting 70*c+ overclocked 200mhz. With the water cooler on it barely ever breaks 40*c...ever.

Anyways, with your 7950 you could do it. Only problem is the 79xx series cards have a slightly recessed gpu die, you'll actually have to insert a copper shim in between the water block and the gpu die to make contact. Not hard to do, just a little bit a PITA to get just "right".

If you're interested head over to http://triptcc.com/
    He makes the retention bracket you would need, as well as the copper shim. Also makes backplates and all that kind of stuff, pretty nice work too. My bracket cost $20...cheap but so worth it. Your 7950 would look bad ass with a water cooler and custom cut backplate...

Like you I also want to build my own full loop water cooling setup...but right now $$$ and my fear of plumbing are in the way

Master Poster

Actually that _is_ a closed loop cpu cooler on my 7850
    (An Antec Kuhler 620 to be exact)

I've got two in my case, one on the cpu and one on the gpu. Had the bracket cut so I could mount the waterblock on the gpu, radiator is mounted in the bottom 140mm intake vent in my case. You can barely see it in that pic. My gpu temps on air were hitting 70*c+ overclocked 200mhz. With the water cooler on it barely ever breaks 40*c...ever.

Anyways, with your 7950 you could do it. Only problem is the 79xx series cards have a slightly recessed gpu die, you'll actually have to insert a copper shim in between the water block and the gpu die to make contact. Not hard to do, just a little bit a PITA to get just "right".

If you're interested head over to http://triptcc.com/
    He makes the retention bracket you would need, as well as the copper shim. Also makes backplates and all that kind of stuff, pretty nice work too. My bracket cost $20...cheap but so worth it. Your 7950 would look bad ass with a water cooler and custom cut backplate...

Like you I also want to build my own full loop water cooling setup...but right now $$$ and my fear of plumbing are in the way
    I just pushed my card in catalyst to 1100MHz and the memory 1575Mhz
    fans started to push really hard to keep it around 70c so i dialed it back a bit but in afterburner I want to see if i can push 1200-1300MHz but i'll only do that with a better cooling solution.

is there any videos of a 7950 install with that cooling setup?

I had to buy an extender for my motherboard cpu power plug and saw these at microcenter
    ModRight cable extenders
    decided to just get them for all my connections.
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 02-19-2013 at 07:38.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I just pushed my card in catalyst to 1100MHz and the memory 1575Mhz
    fans started to push really hard to keep it around 70c so i dialed it back a bit but in afterburner I want to see if i can push 1200-1300MHz but i'll only do that with a better cooling solution.

is there any videos of a 7950 install with that cooling setup?
    Pretty nice overclock there. And yeah I hear ya on the fans getting loud, my card was disturbing at 1100mhz. Unfortunately it artifacts and crashes if I game on it past 1050. Guess I can't complain since stock is 860!

Anyways: No I haven't seen any videos of an install like this. Honestly it's not too hard. Taking apart the heatsink and shroud on a video card for the first time is a bit weird but nothing scary, hardest part is getting the TIM off the gpu die!

There is an official thread over at OCN. Check it out if you'd like. The guy that owns the tript website I linked earlier is one of the approved OCN Artisans allowed to sell there, goes by the name of DWood.

I had to buy an extender for my motherboard cpu power plug and saw these at microcenter
    ModRight cable extenders
    decided to just get them for all my connections.
    Dammit...I need to get on that. I sleeved a PSU before but it's a freaking pain to do, I'd probably spring for a new PSU just so I could use those! Thanks!

Master Poster

Pretty nice overclock there. And yeah I hear ya on the fans getting loud, my card was disturbing at 1100mhz. Unfortunately it artifacts and crashes if I game on it past 1050. Guess I can't complain since stock is 860!

Anyways: No I haven't seen any videos of an install like this. Honestly it's not too hard. Taking apart the heatsink and shroud on a video card for the first time is a bit weird but nothing scary, hardest part is getting the TIM off the gpu die!

There is an official thread over at OCN. Check it out if you'd like. The guy that owns the tript website I linked earlier is one of the approved OCN Artisans allowed to sell there, goes by the name of DWood.

Dammit...I need to get on that. I sleeved a PSU before but it's a freaking pain to do, I'd probably spring for a new PSU just so I could use those! Thanks!

how much did the mod cost all together?

just saw newegg has the ARCTIC Accelero on sale for $100
    `Link

Looks like it has pretty good reviews too.

also do any of the radiators that support the mod support 140mm fans?
    most all the ones i saw were 120.

I'll most likely get in touch with that guy though
    rep for the info

(also trying to talk myself out of xfire 7950s.... )
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 02-20-2013 at 05:03.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awesome, man! I'm probably going to build a whole new rig at the end of this year.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    how much did the mod cost all together?

just saw newegg has the ARCTIC Accelero on sale for $100
    `Link

Looks like it has pretty good reviews too.

also do any of the radiators that support the mod support 140mm fans?
    most all the ones i saw were 120.

I'll most likely get in touch with that guy though
    rep for the info

(also trying to talk myself out of xfire 7950s.... )
    Cost for me all said and done was under $70. $20 for the bracket and the Antec Kuhler 620 was under $50 on a special. You'll see that one sometimes as low as $40.

I haven't heard or seen the Accelero myself so I couldn't comment, though it looks pretty cool too.

Most of these water coolers are actually manufactured by the same company: Asetek.
    As long as they have the same waterblock mount style then they will work. I'm sure if you ask Dwood he'll probably know which ones use which mounts. Corsair does have a 140mm one, but it's new and $99. Not sure which mount it uses though.

Xfire 7950's? If you're gonna go that far out then it would be time to go to frozencpu and get some front/back plates for two 7950's and make a custom loop

Thread Information