Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

Battling the media Bias

It can be pointed out over countless perhaps hundreds of articles the negativity in the press over Sony's PS3 console during its launch and even today. Now we are already seeing the tide of negative articles start on the soon to be announced PS4. Sony clearly will have it's work cut out for it if it is to change perception in America with the gaming public. With so much headwind to push through I wonder if we won't see a repeat performance here in America as last gen. It is very well known that Microsoft has huge ties in the media. Not only are they major stakeholders in giant online browsers but they have big stakes in the print media and television market. With so much influence from such a stake holder and advertising clout over many others it is clear to see why Sony is often a favorite target for many on the internet and mainstream media alike. Not only has Sony not unveiled their PS4 specs or even really mentioned their plans yet we have the negativity starting early and often. The latest posted on yahoo (which yes isn't a credible source for gaming yet gets huge traffic amongst avg american's and more casual following gamers) depicts the early onset of such negative press. The article uses rumors that are so amiss that it shows they have an agenda in displaying the article and not reporting news or bringing any credible information to the public. It saddens me to see these types of reports because it just goes to show that the media is so incredibly corrupt its often hard to believe anything because your always getting a spin. Here is the latest article depicting we will be getting a gimpt PS4 that will be heavily media and connectivity focuses and not a gaming first machine.

http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...174827757.html
    "Sony (SNE) is scheduled to announce its next-generation PlayStation 4 console at a press conference in New York City on February 20th. Recent rumors have pegged the system as a gaming powerhouse with 16GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and 1080p HD resolution in 3D at 60 fps, however this may not be what the company is aiming for. According to a report from the Nikkei, Sony hopes the Playstation 4 will act more as a home entertainment “nerve center” than a dedicated gaming system. An unnamed company executive reportedly said that the console’s main selling point won’t be its high-end specs, but rather the new styles of play it will introduce and its ability to connect and share to mobile devices. The PlayStation 4 is rumored to launch in October and could cost more than $400."

With these types of articles out front and center on the main page it is clear Sony will have its work cut out. It's started already and I'm sure it will get way worse. You can just read the avg comments on the article and see the way this crap information can sway opinion. It's sad but it's just like the cable and mainstream news organizations depicting the news with their bias. We saw how bad it got for the PS3 last gen...this gen will be much the same if Sony doesn't fight it better.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A tide of negative articles about PS4? Cant say that I've seen that.

Ultimate Veteran
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
    Other opinions are available.

Ultimate Veteran
    Honestly, right now, it seems like the new XBox is getting the $#@! end of the stick. Between the lower specs, draconian DRM and general ill-will towards Microsoft abandoning the core gamer for Kinect I would say the shoe is on the other foot.

You can't even do a Google search for PS4 or 720 without seeing some of it. I can only assume MS is waiting for a "$599 US Dollars" or "Riiiiiiidge Raaaaceeeerr" moment at Sony's unveiling event on the 20th to strike back.

Forum Elder
    don't recall any media bias towards PS3.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Let the haters hate (not that I have seen much PS4 hate)...if current info is anything to go by, the company known for awesome and unique content production, giving value to the consumer and unrelenting service to the core gamer is about to launch a powerhouse gaming platform. The proof will be in the pudding. Sony played catch up last gen, but Sony is holding some serious cards that have yet to be revealed and matched by MS.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    It makes sense, back before PS3 came out, Sony had the dominant brand. Then you heard the $599 price tag and with the 360 getting good praise and picking up momentum, all those sites were getting great hits with people reading all the Sony Doom and Gloom articles. Hating on Sony made them money. I didn't read too many of those articles back in the day, but IGN was horrible about it.

Not to mention with Yahoo, at one point they were almost bought by Microsoft. If that had happened every big title release would probably be a front page story. I'd say right now the Wii U is getting a lot of hate. There's a lot of bait articles announcing its doom.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    It makes sense, back before PS3 came out, Sony had the dominant brand. Then you heard the $599 price tag and with the 360 getting good praise and picking up momentum, all those sites were getting great hits with people reading all the Sony Doom and Gloom articles. Hating on Sony made them money. I didn't read too many of those articles back in the day, but IGN was horrible about it.

Not to mention with Yahoo, at one point they were almost bought by Microsoft. If that had happened every big title release would probably be a front page story. I'd say right now the Wii U is getting a lot of hate. There's a lot of bait articles announcing its doom.
    Yeah, I think it was Pachter (or some analyst) that said the Wii U would go the way of the Sega Dreamcast which is a bit of a silly comparison.

Ultimate Veteran
    What I find ironic is that if XBox 720 and PS4 use some kind of crazy DRM, I will jump ship to the Wii-U personally lol.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Honestly I will say that the ps3 got its fair share of hate from some media outlets but this time around the 720 is public enemy number one. Gamers and media alike have not reserved at taking shots at the still completely rumored specs of the 720.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member
    Haters gonna hate. There's nothing we can do about it, I remember the MS FUD campaign for the ps3, they reported sky high power consumption rates for the ps3, trolled the Paris launch, fud like "360 will be the only console where people can play GTA IV and Halo" (ppl took that to mean that GTA IV would also become 360 exclusive). But at the end of it all, the ps3 has indeed won this generation (in terms of total sales). But thankfully, I haven't seen THAT level of FUD or hate, at least not yet, but I expect more attacks on both Durango and Orbis from the respective hater camps. This time around though, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show.

Elite Guru
    You battle any terrible journalism by not giving the site hits. Ever.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    A tide of negative articles about PS4? Cant say that I've seen that.
    I agree with you and me too as well lol.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Yeah, I think it was Pachter (or some analyst) that said the Wii U would go the way of the Sega Dreamcast which is a bit of a silly comparison.
    That would not surprise me if Pachter did say that. He CAN have some smart analysis of this or that, but he has been known to make claims or ridiculous statements because it stirs up the internetz and people flock to the source.

Thread Information