Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Retrospective look at the PS3, why did you buy one?

For me it was pretty much the following trailers:

I really enjoyed my time with the PS2 so the first video just clicked with me and most hardcore PlayStation fans. I also (sadly) bought into the whole limitless power of the Cell. MotorStorm pretty much sealed the deal for me though. Dynamic gameplay in general (track deformation and having your vehicle accumulate mud) screamed next-gen back then.

What about you guys?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-10-2013 at 02:42.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    ...socom.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Why did i buy a PS3? PS3 was the only console that offered games, controller, and online service i liked so it was the only option available.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I had $500. I was young and stupid so why not?.

But in reality I'm a Playstation fan. I've been playing games on the things since the first one came out. Good times. So buying the Playstation 3 was an obvious choice(Well it did suffer 2 YLOD which I fixed!).

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Well i REALLY REALLY wanted GTA IV and i had, and really loved my ps2, so got a ps3 instead.

No i was not disappointed in IV, it is one of my best games this gen.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I had psone and ps2 do why not get a 3 lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    I had psone and ps2 do why not get a 3 lol
    same

that and the games we played were on it, some game called MGS4 and FFXIII
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Items Deadmau5
    someone i met in college introduced me to street fighter, and that's pretty much why. also wanted to try MGS4 which turned out to be rather disappointing =[

PC guy at heart, i don't pay much attention to new consoles until they drop to a reasonable price.

Super Elite
    Same as a lot of people I'd guess. I prefered the PS1 more so than the others. The PS2 beat out the SNES for my favourite console so I thought the PS3 would do better. Probably wouldn't have bought one early if they didn't remove the PS2 BC but I did. Ni No Kuni has finally made it somewhat worth it.
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    For me, as I have been fan of PS series and loved my PS1 as well as my PS2. So, there was no reason not to get the PS3. When I got my PS3, oh man. I stayed up all night looooooooooooool.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Enjoyed my PS1 and PS2 so I naturally went on to PS3. Motorstorm and Resistance were two other reasons.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Just riding the PlayStation legacy. PS1, PS2, PS3 was a no brainer, as is PS4.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I had all the Playstation consoles before it so I stuck with it, plus the fact I love Metal Gear Solid and MGS4 was a must own.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    One of the main reasons I went for the PS3 is because I had the Playstation and the Playstation 2, they were everything I wanted in a gaming console and the PS3 looked no different! Eventually though I bought a 360 as most of my friends had one and it has some great exclusives.

This was another main reason

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Always wanted one but never REALLY wanted one until my friend got one and we got playing Uncharted and some other games. Then about 2 days later I pretty much HAD to go out and buy my own.. uncharted was all I could think about lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    There's lots of reasons why i bought a PS3. For one, i'm a PS fan. I loved the PS1 and PS2 so i was looking forward to the PS3. At the time i had a 360 for about a year and a half and was growing tired of its exclusive offerings. Having seen Resistance, Uncharted, Motorostorm, and others in action with Metal Gear Solid 4 coming i knew it was time to get a PS3 and i was not disappointed.

I have had the most enjoyment of playing single player games with the PS3 than any other console i've owned and that's saying something because the PS1 and PS2 were amazing consoles. Nevermind all the other great consoles that came before them.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I wanted to continue playing some of my favorite ps2 series: MGS, GTA, and FF. At the time I had no reason to expect them to not be exclusives. What really did it in for me was Warhawk. One of the most fun, frustrating games I've played this gen.

Veteran
    I never bought a PS3. I was about to, but then I found out PS4 might come out this year. I might just...skip a generation and hopefully be able to play PS3 titles on it via download or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

I bought a ps3 because there are plenty of exclusive games, playstation + and more. Am very happy to be on the platform also love the fact you can put your own wallpaper as your backdrop or get animated themes.....Only had one for a few months after transferring from a different platform and couldn't be happier

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit777 View Post
    I bought a ps3 because there are plenty of exclusive games, playstation + and more. Am very happy to be on the platform also love the fact you can put your own wallpaper as your backdrop or get animated themes.....Only had one for a few months after transferring from a different platform and couldn't be happier
    Yep. In fact I've got an Infamous 2 Festival of Blood theme that looks awesome. Oh btw welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-11-2013 at 06:44.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit777 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Because it was a PlayStation. Haven't missed any didn't want to start another console generation on a bad note.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I had a PS1 and a PS2... logical step and I love gaming

Dedicated Member
    For me, it was about DMC 4 initially, had played DMC 3 on PC (that too with a keyboard lol), and I was blown away by the visceral and addictive gameplay. I ranted hard when DMC 4 went multiplatform, hadn't bought a ps3 till then, instead I got a psp (ps3 was still wayyy out of my budget). Then I saw games like KZ2, Uncharted 1 and 2, Resistance 1 & 2, Ratchet and Clack Future : Tools of Destruction, MGS4, BurnOut Paradise. To me Playstation represented the amalgamation of everything I wanted in gaming - the fact was reinforced by ALL the awesome games I played on psp (Resistance Retribution, Ratchet and Clank size matters, GoW Chains of Olympus and Ghost Of Sparta, Syphon Filter Logan's shadow, Disgaea 1 and 2, Loco Roco, Patapon... you get the picture . ) - so by then, the choice was simple. My ps3 is still my best expenditure yet, the hour upon hours that I've enjoyed on this beautiful machine are priceless. So my next gen choice has already become easy as cake. So long as Sony keeps pumping out daring and mind blowing games like Uncharted 2/3, GoW 3, KZ 2/3, there's no place I'd rather be than PlayStation.

El Presidente
    I had a PS1 and a PS2 so I wanted a PS3. The two games I wanted it for were Ratchet and Clank and God of War. At the time I really wanted a PS3 because in my mind it would be the best console. I don't believe that anymore and question purchasing the PS3 at all. Loved my PS2 more and got much more use out of it.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Thread Information