Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Report: 'Blistering new PlayStation 4 'to cost just 270'

Blistering new PlayStation 4 'to cost just 270' and could steal a march on the next generation Xbox
    Reports say that price would be lower than PS3 was at launch
    UK gamers might have to wait until next year for the console
    By KATE BEVAN
    PUBLISHED: 07:32 EST, 8 February 2013 | UPDATED: 12:05 EST, 8 February 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz2KT98Haws
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Playstation 4 could cost as little as 270 when it launches later this year, according to a report in a Japanese newspaper.
    The Asahi Shimbun reports that Sony's new gaming console will cost 40,000 Yen - which translates to about 270.
    However, UK gamers will have to factor in VAT, which adds a whopping 20 per cent to the price, taking the possible UK figure to around 325.

Even at that price, the PS4 will be a bargain.
    The PS3 cost 60,000 Yen when it launched in Japan 2006.
    The new console is expected to be announced at a press conference in New York on February 20.

If the price is as low as the rumours suggest, it could steal a march on Microsoft's next-generation Xbox console, which doesn't yet have a launch date.
    Microsoft's console, which could be named the Xbox 720, could be announced at the annual E3 gaming conference, held in Los Angeles in June.

And observers expect it to be on the shelves in time for Christmas, which could mean a battle for supremacy between Microsoft and Sony as their next-generation consoles go head-to-head in the vital holiday season market.

However, rumours suggested yesterday that gamers in the UK could have to wait until next year until Sony's PS4 finally lands on British soil.
    A developer told Edge magazine that Sony is planning to concentrate its marketing efforts on its home market in Japan and the US.
    The move would be to ensure that Sony can push sufficiently high numbers of the console out to stores for Christmas and not lose sales because of insufficient units being shipped.
    All eyes are on the specs for Sony's new console.
    Rumours yesterday surfaced that it would be heavily focused on the cloud, which would put the Japanese' firm's purchase last year of a leading cloud-based gaming company into perspective.
    Sony paid $380 million for Gaikai in June last year. At the time Sony's chief executive, Andrew House, said: 'By combining Gaikai's resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE's [Sony Computer Entertainment] extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences.
    'SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices.'
    At the time it was reported that Gaikai had been hoping for a buyer to spend around $500 million.
    The new console is also expected to have a touchpad controller, as well as an eight-core x64 AMD processor (codenamed 'Bulldozer), 8GB of RAM, 2.2GB of video RAM, four USB ports that use the new high-speed USB 3.0 standard, a Blu-ray drive, a hard drive of 160GB, an Ethernet port, and both HDMI and optical outputs.
    Specs for the next-generation Xbox are rumoured to be comparable, with insiders suggesting that it will also pack 8GB of RAM, HDMI connectors and USB 3.0.
    The launches are important for both Sony and Microsoft, as gamers have moved away from consoles since the Xbox 360 and the PS3 debuted.
    More and more people have shifted to the tablet and the smartphone as a gaming platform.
    Analysts expect that tablets and other mobile devices will match the power and graphics of today's games consoles within a few years.
    Many are already able to run the kinds of 3D games that were once the exclusive preserve of those dedicated machines and high-spec gaming PCs.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#axzz2KT8tsWwl

At that price, I think we could expect the UK to be out in force for the PS4.
    20 MB signatures are, in fact, not acceptable. Please adhere to the rules. Thanks.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I wonder how much they would lose per console?

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Extreme Poster
    At that price, I would buy it at launch.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Day one!!!!

Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Now that is a bargain. However, I expect there to be multiple ways to buy either console. Contract type deals that make it seem cheaper.

Master Poster
    Does anyone think amazon will have pre-orders? I know they didn't for the wii-u (not that I was looking to buy one).
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ex nihilo7 View Post
    Does anyone think amazon will have pre-orders? I know they didn't for the wii-u (not that I was looking to buy one).
    I think they will.

As for, Nintendo: I've noticed Amazon having a not-so-friendly relationship with them. Each time a new console is released, Amazon never has them until months later.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Dang! lol it's day one for me regardless of the price. That is unless it's more than the ps3 at launch.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    I've kinda had a feeling this gen would be cheaper as the rumored specs are all using current tech that debs are very familiar with. I'd bet on being 2 versions of the ps4 for 399.99 and 499.99 with the more expensive model having a larger hdd and a game or 2nd controller

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    360 bucks? Nice.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    Thats cool. For me, I have no problem this time to buy it and once they will accept preorders. I will pay it all fully.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Now that is a bargain. However, I expect there to be multiple ways to buy either console. Contract type deals that make it seem cheaper.
    Well, technically it would be cheaper. The $100 360 with the 2 year contract pretty much gets you Live for free.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#axzz2KT8tsWwl

At that price, I think we could expect the UK to be out in force for the PS4.
    uk PS3 (40gb) released at 299, so it could be 325

Veteran
    I'm loving it. Sony has the right idea with this, for sure.

Ancient
    I called it!

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Extreme Poster
    Though grain of salt until it's official. Anything can happen.

Though if Sony wants to stay in competition, they will need to come out with an affordable console...heck all of the companies do. MS had the right idea current generation.

From my point of view this doesn't sounds too good. It means it won't be too powerful which is a bit sad. Surely a 360$ console won't be able to last for the usual 10 year life cycles that Sony likes to brag about.

Let's wait for 20feb and after that we will, hopefully, have a clearer view on the situation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    From my point of view this doesn't sounds too good. It means it won't be too powerful which is a bit sad. Surely a 360$ console won't be able to last for the usual 10 year life cycles that Sony likes to brag about.

Let's wait for 20feb and after that we will, hopefully, have a clearer view on the situation.
    I think if you take a look at how far graphics processors have come since the PS3 came out, the manufacturers won't have to tear holes in your pockets to make a machine that gives noticeable performance gains over PS3 and 360. If the price is deterring you, it honestly shouldn't.

Think of it this way. NVidia didn't even move on using unified shader pipelines until the GeForce 280. They are now ramping up to launch the GeForce 780 series this year. That is several generations of hardware beyond the 8800 and the 9800s that launched after the PS3 came out and those used dedicated pipes.

So, a $200 graphics card today will pretty much set the current generation of consoles on fire and cook them alive in raw performance. All a console needs to do is integrate the CPU and inputs/outputs into the architecture of a card (gross over-simplification, but you get the gist) and you have the architecture of a system board. A $400-$500 console by the end of the year will be light years ahead of what we are currently using, especially when you take into account the use of GDDR5 and you put "to the metal" tools like LibGCM in the hands of developers like Kojima, Naughty Dog, Square-Enix, Guerrilla and have an architecture that guys like Bethesda and Bungie can sink their teeth into as well.

Now is not the time to frown, my friend. Not at all
    20 MB signatures are, in fact, not acceptable. Please adhere to the rules. Thanks.

19. Likes MonkeyClaw, Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I think if you take a look at how far graphics processors have come since the PS3 came out, the manufacturers won't have to tear holes in your pockets to make a machine that gives noticeable performance gains over PS3 and 360. If the price is deterring you, it honestly shouldn't.

Think of it this way. NVidia didn't even move on using unified shader pipelines until the GeForce 280. They are now ramping up to launch the GeForce 780 series this year. That is several generations of hardware beyond the 8800 and the 9800s that launched after the PS3 came out and those used dedicated pipes.

So, a $200 graphics card today will pretty much set the current generation of consoles on fire and cook them alive in raw performance. All a console needs to do is integrate the CPU and inputs/outputs into the architecture of a card (gross over-simplification, but you get the gist) and you have the architecture of a system board. A $400-$500 console by the end of the year will be light years ahead of what we are currently using, especially when you take into account the use of GDDR5 and you put "to the metal" tools like LibGCM in the hands of developers like Kojima, Naughty Dog, Square-Enix, Guerrilla and have an architecture that guys like Bethesda and Bungie can sink their teeth into as well.

Now is not the time to frown, my friend. Not at all
    Well said!

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Hope that's the lower model.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Extreme Poster
    Besides, closed-box systems will always be used efficiently so I wouldn't dwell too much on the specs. These are customized machines and what's written on paper isn't the whole picture.

Supreme Veteran

if at that price i would, but then again highly unlikely to be at that price

For everyone sold they lose around a shit load on money

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think if you take a look at how far graphics processors have come since the PS3 came out, the manufacturers won't have to tear holes in your pockets to make a machine that gives noticeable performance gains over PS3 and 360. If the price is deterring you, it honestly shouldn't. Think of it this way. NVidia didn't even move on using unified shader pipelines until the GeForce 280. They are now ramping up to launch the GeForce 780 series this year. That is several generations of hardware beyond the 8800 and the 9800s that launched after the PS3 came out and those used dedicated pipes. So, a $200 graphics card today will pretty much set the current generation of consoles on fire and cook them alive in raw performance. All a console needs to do is integrate the CPU and inputs/outputs into the architecture of a card (gross over-simplification, but you get the gist) and you have the architecture of a system board. A $400-$500 console by the end of the year will be light years ahead of what we are currently using, especially when you take into account the use of GDDR5 and you put "to the metal" tools like LibGCM in the hands of developers like Kojima, Naughty Dog, Square-Enix, Guerrilla and have an architecture that guys like Bethesda and Bungie can sink their teeth into as well. Now is not the time to frown, my friend. Not at all
    True dat.

Flaw3d Genius
    I expect a lesser model to cost around 240 with a higher end model coming in under 300, Sony know that the pricepoint of 425 for PS3 was far to high...no way will they make the same mistake.

Ultimate Veteran
    how much is this in american money?? lol
    Last edited by coolguy; 02-12-2013 at 19:22.

Thread Information