Veteran

IBM Watson Power7 CPU

IBM is showing a lot of black in its balance sheet, indicating strong sales. AMD is showing a lot of red in its balance sheet, indicating less than strong sales. If anybody is going to come out with a new console before the end of this year, they will have to be buying parts for at least a million launch units right now, to start manufacturing this summer. If Sony Studios were suddenly switching to X86 architecture, they would have to be flushing all their PowerPC code and converting over to X86 development tools.

Here is some news about the Power7 CPU used in Watson, from 2011 to the other day in 2013:

2011:
    Watson is made up of a cluster of ninety IBM Power 750 servers (plus additional I/O, network and cluster controller nodes in 10 racks) with a total of 2880 POWER7 processor cores and 16 Terabytes of RAM. Each Power 750 server uses a 3.5 GHz POWER7 eight core processor, with four threads per core.
    2013:
    Over the past two years, IBM’s researchers have shrunk Watson from the size of a master bedroom to a pizza-box-sized server that can fit in any data center. And they improved its processing speed by 240%.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Wii U is based on watson tech iirc

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    why would sony switch to IBM every thing is in place for the ps4 cpu and gpu iam sure they are makeing them right now

Dedicated Member
    With ALL the rumors pointing to AMD as being the provider, I'm not sure if the truth will differ that much. Plus, Sony's biggest concern - imo - is to make a developer friendly console. With the risk of closure hitting studios industry-wide, I'm not sure Sony's willing to make another console that scares the pants of all but the most extreme developers. As far as I know, x86 is alot more dev friendly than PowerPC (could be wrong, I'm no programmer so no idea really), and porting will be a lot easier regardless of lead device (assuming the nextbox and Orbis both use AMD's architecture).

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well in regard to IBM The Cell was made in conjunction with them (as we all know :P )
    Despite rumors maybe they haven't learned their lesson as far as alien tech There haven't been any CELL revisions based off POWER7 have there? (if that makes any sense)
    It would be interesting to find that AMD wasn't their go to (I'd praise that personally but that's another story)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Why is this in the PS4 section? There is ZERO rumors, evidence or news that remotely suggest SONY is using this in their new console. This is complete speculation and personal opinion based.

EDIT: Also, the CPU alone is the size of a pizza box according to the OP? How big do you suppose that console would be with the rest of the components?!?!?!?1
    Last edited by snooper71; 02-12-2013 at 05:43.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I don't think Sony will use that CPU. As the above poster said. We have never heard nor a rumor came out about that CPU. All we have heard is AMD which I think it true.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information