Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Journey bankrupted the studio, next game to be multiplatform

Developing Journey cost thatgamecompany a lot of time, talent and all of its money, creator Jenova Chen said during his DICE 2013 address. Journey bankrupted thatgamecompany; Chen began its development in 2006 and the studio eventually received two extensions from Sony so the team could perfect the game's emotional impact.

"We did get the money, we got to finish the extra year, but a lot of people in our studio were not paid in the last half of the year, and we actually paid our savings to extend the game for another couple months," Chen said. "So by the end, when we shipped Journey, we also went bankrupt as thatgamecompany."

In the end, Chen said it was worth it, if only to see the deep, human impact Journey had on its players. One email he received told Sophia's story, a 15-year-old who played Journey with her dad before he died and said the game changed her life for the better.

Next up, Chen wants to create a similarly artistic, but more commercially successful game, in an attempt to broaden the game development industry as a whole, he tells Polygon. Thatgamecompany's next game will be multiplatform, unlike its previous, Sony-exclusive games.
    via Joystiq.

Didn't realize it had been in development for so long.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-12-2013 at 03:32.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Poster
    Looking forward to their next game

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I love these guys. That attitude even in the face of bankruptcy. The employees knowing the troubles and staying anyways. They embody what ALL game companies should be like.
    Last edited by Silvy; 02-12-2013 at 04:05.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Items Deadmau5
    Dedication pays off. One of the best games I've played in a long time.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    It took 6 years to develop? Jesus, what were they doing?
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ash91 View Post
    It took 6 years to develop? Jesus, what were they doing?

To take sometime on it is better than rush it out

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

Thatgamecompany’s next game won’t be a PlayStation exclusive

Journey creator thatgamecompany will bring its next project to a wider selection of platforms to ensure that it is a financial success, says its co-founder Jenova Chen.
    Speaking to Polygon, Chen said that while Journey was is critically adored, it wasn’t quite so successful from a business perspective.
    “I wouldn’t say that the development of Journey was a successful example of game development,” he said. “We bankrupted the company. I think to have a financial success, that is going to change everyone, it has to be much bigger than a game on the Playstation platform.”
    Hinting at the direction of the cult developer’s next project, Chen added: “We want to make more artistic games. High quality, emotional games. I run into a lot of lost and frustrated students who study games to work on great art, but then find there is no place for them. I feel responsible for them because I showed them that is possible, but there is no place for them.”
    He went on to say that he has resolved to make the next thatgamecompany title “a big financial success,” and that while Journey was “focused on connection,” the new game will attempt to go “one level above that.” “It’s very likely that’s impossible,” he added.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/that...ion-exclusive/
    Can't wait to see what they do next.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Can't wait to see what they do next.
    This already posted. I'll get you a link.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Forum Overseer
    It bankrupted them? lol. It was a tiny little PSN game.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Now people are going to blame the PS3 or something, when the game was only aimed at a small fraction of gamers (I tried the demo so many times and watched so many videos, I just dont get the hype.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It bankrupted them? lol. It was a tiny little PSN game.
    Its a small little studio

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Overseer
    They must have ran out of all of their 2,000 gold in the guild bank.

12. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    They must have ran out of all of their 2,000 gold in the guild bank.
    lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Another game that failed because it was aimed at a small niche audience.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Another game that failed because it was aimed at a small niche audience.
    I think as long as they make games and are able to pay their employees they won't care about a game being "successful". They seem like a Studio that only cares about the gamer.

Forum Overseer
    It's also Sony's fault for not funding them completely. Not my kind of game even though it seems interesting, I just know I'll get bored in 10 minutes...like I did with all of their other games.

It's smart for them to go multiplat.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I think as long as they make games and are able to pay their employees they won't care about a game being "successful". They seem like a Studio that only cares about the gamer.
    I'm pretty sure their families are not happy with them going bankrupt.

I'm sure they have kids to feed.

Master Guru
    It's also Sony's fault for not funding them completely. Not my kind of game even though it seems interesting, I just know I'll get bored in 10 minutes...like I did with all of their other games.

It's smart for them to go multiplat.

I'm pretty sure their families are not happy with them going bankrupt.

I'm sure they have kids to feed.
    Well, if their employees are paid then they can feed their families.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm pretty sure that they do care about going bankrupt because a game wasnt successful. These people have bills to pay and familys to feed. They only care about the gamer? Seriously? Time for a reality check. We arent talking about Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory here.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-12-2013 at 06:07.

Master Guru
    I'm pretty sure that they do care about going bankrupt because a game wasnt successful. These people have bills to pay and familys to feed. We arent talking about Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory here.
    Well, they got their employees paid, They see the problem, now their going multi to fix It. That'll feed their families. My whole point was they're successful. Sounds weird since bankruptcy is in the argument but that's the best i way I know t explain it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Well, they got their employees paid, They see the problem, now their going multi to fix It. That'll feed their families. My whole point was they're successful. Sounds weird since bankruptcy is in the argument but that's the best i way I know t explain it.
    Yes but to say they dont care about their game being successful or not because they "only care about the gamers" is ridiculous and naive. If your statement was true they wouldn't be going multiplatform in order to make their future games successful now would they? Instead they would just plow forward staying exclusive and losing their ass because they wouldnt care about their game being successful.

Forum Overseer
    Then what do you think about this part?

We did get the money, we got to finish the extra year, but a lot of people in our studio were not paid in the last half of the year, and we actually paid our savings to extend the game for another couple months.

Master Guru
    Yes but to say they dont care about their game being successful or not because they "only care about the gamers" is ridiculous and naive. If your statement was true they wouldn't be going multiplatform in order to make their future games successful now would they? Instead they would just plow forward staying exclusive and losing their ass because they wouldnt care about their game being successful.
    No I put quotations on successful because people determine Success in different ways. Mostly money and thatgamecompany [I]never [I] started the company with that intention. Everyone wants to be successful in life. I have never met some saying they want to be poor. As I said though It's a different kind of success for them. It's obvious that they won't their families to be fed and enough to keep going in the industry. It's just like the quote "Try to become not a man of success, but try rather to become a man of value." Sorry if I came off or worded incorrectly where you fathom that I was insinuating that they were hippies running on imagination or whatever have you.

Last edited by Silvy; 02-12-2013 at 06:30.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    No I put quotations on successful because people determine Success in different ways. Mostly money and thatgamecompany [I]never [I] started the company with that intention. Everyone wants to be successful in life. I have never met some saying they want to be poor. As I said though It's a different kind of success for them. It's obvious that they won't their families to be fed and enough to keep going in the industry. It's just like the quote "Try to become not a man of success, but try rather to become a man of value." Sorry if I came off or worded incorrectly where you fathom that I was insinuating that they were hippies running on imagination or whatever have you.
    No problem bro. And you have nothing to apologise for. We're just having a discussion.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    That sucks but these guys will rise up and make another amazing game.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Since they are not first IP owned by Sony. No support for you as you are just greedy for money and thats all.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Sony, buy them!!!!!!!!

Thread Information