Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Next Vita Incoming? 4G, HDMI, more

A new Sony patent filed shows what could be a new model of the PlayStation Vita. Along with that sources are claiming that the new vita will be 4G and launch along side price cuts for memory cards.
    On February 7th, 2013 the US Patent and Trademark Offices published a patent from Sony showing what looks to be a new PlayStation Vita model. Sony’s patent was filed in the US under serial number 55977. The new PlayStation Vita design shown in FIG 2 below supports a completely resigned bottom with new ports and readjusted placements. Sony states that the patent is for mainly a port redesign for the “Next PlayStation Vita”.
    The application shows specifically that the next generation Vita will incorporate an all new USB port, HDMI and power supply connector which is described as a parallel-pipped connector. Whats important to note however is some of its inherent similarities to the Dev Kit Vita that we’ve seen before.

As we get closer to the February 20th announcements from Sony about the “Future of PlayStation” other sources are saying that the new Vita model could be announced then and include a new fully fledged Vita OFW update and memory card price cuts. Close sources to Gamerxchange are reporting that:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
    • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
    • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
    • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
    • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.

According to their source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same for the time being. Of course this is all speculation and rumor besides the patent, so we wont find out if its real until later in Feb or at E3 but it seems like a completely plausible scenario. Giving the Vita 4G capabilities would help hold its position in the current market with other devices where 4G and LTE has become the standard. Price cuts on memory would also help the Vita immensly with its current overpriced, small storage and proprietary memory.

Just like the PSP and any device released thus far, hardware revisions are bound to happen, its only a matter of time before we see a new iteration of the Vita but could it be at the Future of PlayStation meeting on Feb 20th? What would you like to see in the next Vita model? Let me know in the comments what you think!
    Source

This is exactly why I never buy consoles within their first year anymore, and why I'll wait on the PS4 too. Will be awesome just hooking it up to the TV like the PSP but with a HDMI cable.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

2. Likes Azimuth85 likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    If you look at the Vita now there is a spot were it seems like there could have been and hdmi. Rumor is it was planned but scrapped for cost. 4g I don't give a $#@! about and it is a waste because 4g is not large enough, least here in US, no warrant it. Memory card price cut is def needed. If this is all true I will buy a vita.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

4. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ugh...Sorry Yuuichi...Your post is just unreadable lol. These post effects are horrible .

I don't think we will see this any time soon. I will probably upgrade though 4G would enable online gaming on the go...?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    ill see what ill get for my 3g vita if i decide to trade it. i barely use the thing as it is now

Friendship is Carrots
    Sexy, but shouldn't Sony be focusing on getting this thing as cheap and financially accessible as possible, not improving the already solid hardware and keeping the price up?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Maybe the HDMI port will only be on the higher end models and the wifi version will see a price cut. I dunno but the HDMI port to me is important because I'd love to play it on my TV.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    If true

Sure, make a new expensive unit and announce it at a high price while keeping the older version at a high price...

I like SONY, they are great but sometimes they make, from the look of it, terrible decisions. The only way this will happen is if they are also gonna release/announce some big games too. Unless we see games, this will just be a big failure. I would prefer the money used making this be ( mostly gimmick additions) to be rather spent on securing and developing games...

I am enjoying my vita and there are a decent amount of games for now, but there still needs to be A LOT more for it to not only be worth it to others, but for me to carry on using it after like 6 months.

Forum Elder
    Would be nice if we could play the vita on our tvs wirelessly via ps3/4 displaying the image.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think most of us knew that once Sony could cut down production cost of the Vita, they would eventually release a new model. Same as the PSP. I will gladly purchase a new model Vita as it does not bother me one bit that Sony decides to improve their hardware. I love additions and I welcome a better Vita if this info is in fact true.

I am sure Sony wanted to do this all along, but they also did not want to release the Vita at a $400 price tag either.

Wouldn't this be a kick in the nuts if this is the Feb 20th news?
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-12-2013 at 15:12.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Torch73
    what i don't understand why 4G When It will Be Lock Down With ATT ? when you could just use the hot spot app on our phone .. I pay $15 for 2GB 4G Hotspot with tmobile on my GS2 and i can play Games Online COD and More anywhere . I made the mistake of buying the 3G model that don't let me play on line at all .. I Hope sony dont lock it to ATT
    Torch73

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I was going to get my vita next week because my school is off. Now I feel like waiting for this one

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Eh, seems a little silly at this point. The console should focus on being as cheap as possible to expand the user base. Otherwise it will continue to get neglected by non Sony studios

I mean, if this coincides with a price drop of the actual system then that's great. But a price cut solely on memory cards won't do much imo

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I think most of us knew that once Sony could cut down production cost of the Vita, they would eventually release a new model. Same as the PSP. I will gladly purchase a new model Vita as it does not bother me one bit that Sony decides to improve their hardware. I love additions and I welcome a better Vita if this info is in fact true.

I am sure Sony wanted to do this all along, but they also did not want to release the Vita at a $400 price tag either.
    I completely agree, and more people would be complaining if the new SKU had stuff taken out, I do agree about them needing to focus on games though, but making additional hardware improvements and additions is a good thing IMO, especially since I don't mind paying $300 on an entertainment product like this, I'd like them to cram as much as possible into it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Like most have said bit pointless at the mo needs a bigger install base and a shed load more games then we can talk hardware revisions.
    New member of the PS4 club

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by lherre @ GAF
    Sorry to dissapoint you but this patent is intended for a devkit, you can see the leds of the devkit on it (the small squares under the screen).

18. Likes YoungMullah88 , Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I'll wait for the 20th just in case

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I would buy this and give my old Vita to my Gf

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Ugh...Sorry Yuuichi...Your post is just unreadable lol. These post effects are horrible .

I don't think we will see this any time soon. I will probably upgrade though 4G would enable online gaming on the go...?
    you love my post effect haha
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    if it's true will they just be announcing the price cut of the memory cards on the 20th or will it come into affect near that date too? I don't wanna wait ages cus I need a new one now

Ultimate Veteran
    no price drop?? come on sony i dont need hdmi out

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Interesting.
    Will see how it turns out anyway, I dont really mind if its a new model or not - 3G/4G it's useless to me wifi is all I need baby

Via Tapatalk

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Eh..I'm happy with my vita

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    ill see what ill get for my 3g vita if i decide to trade it. i barely use the thing as it is now
    I think they're still giving 50 extra dollars for every hardware trade in if that's the route you decide to take.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Holy sh*T I HATE these post styles!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Holy sh*T I HATE these post styles!!!
    But its CoLorZZzzz !

Thread Information