Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony: PlayStation 3 won Australian retail in 2012

PlayStation 3 came out ahead of the competition on total platform, software and hardware sales during 2012, Sony Australia has announced.

Drawing on the NPD Group Australia’s data and the iGEA’s 2012 market overview, SCE Australia said PlayStation platform sales – which include hardware, software and peripherals – accounted for 25.3% unit sales and 31.3% of dollar value share for the entirety of 2012. This is the largest slice captured by any platform, apparently.

PlayStation 3 also took out the record for greatest share in the hardware market, with 27% of total unit sales and 32% value share, thanks to the new “super slim” release.

On the software side, PlayStation 3 again achieved top spot with a 28.9% unit sales share – although no mention was made of spend percentage in this category.

“Moving into 2013, with AAA blockbusters on the horizon such as God of War: Ascension, the critically acclaimed The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, plus more for the family with new titles for Wonderbook, we plan to continue the PlayStation momentum and magic for our Australian customers,” SCE Australia managing director Michael Ephraim said.

“We are also seeing accelerated growth in our online sales driven by an increased range of digital content and subscription products such as the PlayStation Plus program in Australia.”

Australia boasts a $1.161 billion dollar games retail industry.
    via VG247.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Our friends in Austraila love the PS3. My friend live in Sydney and he tells me that everybody there own a PS3.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Surprised since they still cost a pretty penny over there compared to other regions.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fon View Post
    Surprised since they still cost a pretty penny over there compared to other regions.
    I know it is ridiculously expensive to be a gamer there. Not to mention a hassle with all their regulations on mature content. I feel for our Australian gaming bros.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I know it is ridiculously expensive to be a gamer there. Not to mention a hassle with all their regulations on mature content. I feel for our Australian gaming bros.
    If I'm not mistaken, they loosened up on their regulations.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they loosened up on their regulations.
    I believe they did but it's still not relaxed if I'm not mistaken.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    You are right. They have some weird rules on games there and few games were banned from Australia.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I thought the PS3 was now $400-$500 now? AU$ of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    No shock there. The PS3 is very popular in Australia and around the world in general.

The 360 only led in popularity for so long because of the strangle hold it had in NA, the largest market in the world. It's really amazing how the PS3 was able to pass the 360 in worldwide sales by appealing to everyone rather than a set audience.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    No shock there. The PS3 is very popular in Australia and around the world in general. The 360 only led in popularity for so long because of the strangle hold it had in NA, the largest market in the world. It's really amazing how the PS3 was able to pass the 360 in worldwide sales by appealing to everyone rather than a set audience.
    Its the pinnacle of gaming. lol

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It's really amazing how the PS3 was able to pass the 360 in worldwide sales by appealing to everyone rather than a set audience.
    Not nearly as amazing as you believing the PS3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales when Sony's own sales figures released earlier this month puts them several million behind still.

And what are the actual annual sales of the PS3 in Australia? 200k-300k per year? The entire country has a population that is smaller than Texas, so it can't be much.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Not nearly as amazing as you believing the PS3 passed the 360 in worldwide sales when Sony's own sales figures released earlier this month puts them several million behind still.

And what are the actual annual sales of the PS3 in Australia? 200k-300k per year? The entire country has a population that is smaller than Texas, so it can't be much.
    Aww, I see you with that Texas shout out!!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Forum Guru
    Playstation is the brand to go to for those outside of the Xbox's stupid 35 region support.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingSpree0 View Post
    Aww, I see you with that Texas shout out!!
    Go Texas!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhahJVkehUc
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-14-2013 at 06:44.

Thread Information