Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft: 360 now "entertainment" console, future is Voice Control & Interactivity

Source

Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, just sat down alongside Nancy Tellem, Corporate Vice President at Microsoft LA Studios, to kick off this year's rendition of Dive Into Media here in Dana Point, Calif. The first session of the evening is being piloted by AllThingsD's Peter Kafka, and naturally, the topic of conversation is Xbox. For starters, Mehdi affirmed that Microsoft is witnessing an unmistakable transition of the Xbox 360 "from a gaming console to an entertainment console." At present, the install base is up to 76 million (up from around 70 million at the close of September 2012), with US-based users using the console for some 87 hours per month.

In fact, he stated that 18 billion (yeah, with a "B") hours of entertainment have been consumed on Xbox, and while Netflix is obviously the driving force, it might not be that way for much longer. He was quick to claim that Sony's PlayStation 3 "isn't as good of an entertainment console" -- something he feels that "everybody knows" -- and insinuated that the next-generation Xbox will stick to "big and premium." In other words, don't expect Microsoft to kick out a $50 Roku-style content box. Mehdi wants to ensure that the future of Xbox enables voice control, interactivity, and "other stuff that's big and beautiful."

Kicking the conversation over to Tellem, she affirmed that Microsoft is going to invest in premium content -- and in fact, said that she "hopes" for some of it to actually hit end users this year. Not surprisingly, folks are going to be asked to pay for it, but she wasn't willing to talk specifics. Of course, existing Xbox Live users are technically already paying, so it's possible that this new wave of content will be bundled into that monthly cost. When asked if Microsoft was planning to fund its own shows (much like Amazon and Netflix are doing), she seemed open to the idea, but also noted that Microsoft will absolutely partner with existing studios and content creators in order to give them yet another outlet (read: not pay-TV) to get people hooked.

Finally, she noted that there's "more latitude" in what kinds of material they can produce given that console distribution isn't as regulated as traditional broadcast. And, while a good deal of it will aim to satisfy the 18-24 male demographic, we're told that womenfolk and families will be looked after, too. Oh, and as for these Microsoft-funded shows hitting other distribution outlets? According to Tellem, that's unlikely -- at least at first -- but a sizable enough check from the likes of Hulu, Amazon, Sony, etc. could very well change that. In response to a question from TechCrunch's Ryan Lawler, Tellem noted that Microsoft's desire to churn out original, interactive entertainment is a way to both "move consoles, create new relationships with consumers and to expand [Microsoft's] audience," and from a higher level, to create the next generation of TV and "have it be a hit."

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    This is falling in line with these latest rumors. I'm going to be skipping out on a 720 definitely. I do not like their vision for the xbox brand.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    This is falling in line with these latest rumors. I'm going to be skipping out on a 720 definitely. I do not like their vision for the xbox brand.
    Agreed. PS4 only next gen for me. I dont like where the xbox brand is going.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    lol Microsoft is forgetting what a video game console is about. Games should always be priority.

5. Likes John25 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Wow. So all 3 hardware companies seem to be doing their own thing this gen. MS wants to be all over the place. Nintendo is mainly about games, which is ironic because there hasn't been much released since launch. And Sony will be falling in the middle of both of them. But yeah, what they want to do with the Xbox does not seem very appealing. Good thing I've never had interest in them.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Agreed. PS4 only next gen for me. I dont like where the xbox brand is going.
    I'm leaning that way as well but don't you want to hear what both companies have to offer before jumping the gun?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This is what happens when your average 360 user spends 40% of his/her console time doing none game related things. It was inevitable...and current rumors are inline with this direction.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I'm leaning that way as well but don't you want to hear what both companies have to offer before jumping the gun? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Of course. But what I've been hearing so far doesn't exactly inspire my confidence in the xbox brand.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol and most of these features will be subscription based? Oh boy...smh

Sent from my Note II

11. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Sounds good to me. Great games and great entertainment...just like the 360. Rock on.

13. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post

Flamebait removed.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-22-2013 at 21:44.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Sounds good to me. Great games and great entertainment...just like the 360. Rock on.
    I must ask, aside from multi-platform games, what games are you referring to?
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I must ask, aside from multi-platform games, what games are you referring to?
    Hey now, there will no doubt be some exclusives in there not that they really matter. I'm sure you're not totally unaware that multi-platform games are more abundant and often sell better and often are better.

This doesn't surprise me, Microsoft want a box that everyone can take advantage of some way or another. We'll just have to wait and see what they are planning on doing before jumping the gun and assuming that they are forgetting gamers completely.
    Last edited by EHY893; 02-15-2013 at 01:28.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    You never have its been the same old tired lame reteric for the past seven years. Sony vision on the ps4 is same as MS its no different.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    YOU SEE, they are not consoles and they are entertainment systems. Just like the NES " Nintendo Entertainment System "

The difference is that the NES, was an actual console for games and not Multi features
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    lol Microsoft is forgetting what a video game console is about. Games should always be priority.
    Dont be surprisd if Sony talks about hese same deatures on feb 20th. The video game llandscape has changed for consoles. Interactive means motion cameras built into the console andrid and Ios phones and tablets interaction. a

These features will be in the Ps 4 so whats the difference.

21. Likes EHY893 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Of course. But what I've been hearing so far doesn't exactly inspire my confidence in the xbox brand.
    This.

Let's just hope that for people that are too stubborn to realise this, that MS still makes core games. Because that sucks if they're just going to basically leave them out in the cold.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    You never have its been the same old tired lame reteric for the past seven years.
    Chill, man. There's plenty of pro 720 news you can post...

Sony vision on the ps4 is same as MS its no different.
    Sure they are lol.

We "Sony fanboys" are blind to the PSVita's operating system. Surely it doesn't do anything different than the ps3 and surely Sony won't make any kind of improvements to the ps4's operating system. In fact, the ps4 will only play games...

http://www.superpolypixel.com/sonys-...soft-with-ps4/

If those ads aren't true then my bad.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-15-2013 at 03:22.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

Sure they are lol.

We "Sony fanboys" are blind to the PSVita's operating system. Surely it doesn't do anything different than the ps3 and surely Sony won't make any kind of improvements to the ps4's operating system. In fact, the ps4 will only play games...
    lol..what the hell is that? That has to be some made u fanboy stuff. Yoga isn't gaming? No way that stuff is from sony themselves. I don't think sony is that $#@!y.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

Sure they are lol.

I wonder what the troll for ps4 will be by the internet. PS3 was It Has No Games. PS4 It Only Plays Games.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

26. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Master Guru
    Yeah sure posts threads here for pro Sony guys to line up and troll and trash it before any 360/720 gamers have a chance to discuss it.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    xbox related news hasn't been that great really, but realistically MS can't be worried. they've not said a peep. if they considered the general reaction on the internet as a problem i'm sure they would've responded or gone into some sort of PR frenzy.

but they haven't, which imo either means theyre completely confident in their focus - in which case im sure the box will be of use in my room, regardless of whether its used for games (i find this a bit unlikely) OR - they are confident their system can compete in terms of games.

it will probably impact whether i buy the console day one, but won't likely stop my purchase.

*edit: just read the MS exec piece. well that was stupid. should've kept quiet
    eitherway,its a bit early to start all this doom and gloom tbh.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 02-15-2013 at 03:31.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Flaw3d Genius
    Those who are leaving the MS brand is a good thing as we'l no longer need to put up with the moaning on this side of the forum

I'l enjoy both consoles....This gen my PS3 has been my multimedia machine and the Xbox my games machine. If rumours are to believed my Xbox will become my multimedia machine and the PS3 my main games machine (if it comes with a decent control pad that is)

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I'm leaning that way as well but don't you want to hear what both companies have to offer before jumping the gun?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I'll be waiting on the games... PS4 is a given at launch but I will see where those "always on Kinect" rumours lead to if they actually turn out to be true. MS will have a hard time convincing me to purchase if a camera is mandatory to even get the games started. I don't care much about all the other negative stuff out there but that one is a killer for me

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Thread Information