This is who we actually need:

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well word is that all is quite on the EASTERN FRONT
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    I heard about this maybe 20 minutes ago. Just thinking about the destruction of this meteor is crazy. I think they said it was about 10 tons and to think that 10 tons flying over and exploding while injuring about 1,000 people. They said on the news that it was 1,000 people but on the websites it says something like 100.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    That is exactly right, they only have so much resources to track stuff, so would you rather a small or large meteor slip by? Still though, you would have though someone whether it be NASA or even amateur astronomers would have seen that thing coming within the past few days and given us a heads up!
    It fell in Russia which is half a world away from where I am but I certainly would want to know if a meteor big or small was coming down in my area. Even if NASA only looks after the big ones, some one else needs to keep track of the small ones like this. Split the work.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Please let there be mutants!

Sent from my Note II
    Russia already has mutants, thanks to Chernobyl.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well it seems the other piece of rock is not entering the atmosphere yet
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    wasn't it something like 17,200 miles away from Earth? there are satellites further away than that

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    Very true... How the hell did they miss something so freaking big, bright and noisy...

if the average JOE, can pick it up and capture all the footage and bring in the info like i did to you guys... And i only have a tiny net book and people have phones and dash-cams..
    Because it wasn't big, bright or noisy. The meteor was relatively small and the noise and brightness was a product of it entering our atmosphere. The meteor, in space, has almost no friction placed upon it. When the meteor entered our atmosphere, the air friction caused the meteor to catch on fire and that's why you saw a bright light.

You would think BILLIONS of DOLLARS, they would collect all this data before hand and gather enough info to warn what could happen
    There are a lot of factors at play in the detection of meteors. Are they large? Are they shiny and capable of reflecting light; if so, did we look at it when no light was hitting it? Even if light was reflecting off the rock, were we looking in the right direction? Our space-based satellites can look in 360 degrees on three planes, but their sensors are much more focused. Does anyone think we can take a wide-angle view of open space and find small-car sized meteors with a FOV depth of tens or hundreds of thousands of miles?

But from what i have learned over the years, that BIG one's like this are not as common as wee all think
    Thousands of meteors fall from space every day. That's what "shooting stars" are, except the ones we see burn out in the night sky are small - a few ounces to pounds. Large meteors are much less common, but they're more common than you would think. Dozens of meteors strike the earth each year, but the impacts are normally small and unimpressive. The large fireballs in the sky happen a few times each year but they often break up high above the Earths surface, posing no real threat to anyone. Larger meteors striking the Earth is more rare, but it happens every couple years. Mind you, this is only what has been observed on land. Who knows what falls in the oceans that cover a majority of the Earth's surface.

must of been pretty big if it weighed 10 tonnes
    Depends on the composition. What would be larger? 10 tons of pure Iron would be much more dense/smaller than 10 tons of a silicate-based stone. Scientists predict this meteor was about 10 feet in diameter at the time of explosion... or, about the size of a Mini Cooper.

The meteor that fall was part of a bigger meteor, that is on course to fall later. In around 5-6 hours from now

It is all up in the AIR at the moment on weather this other part will enter the atmosphere or just past by

well it seems the other piece of rock is not entering the atmosphere yet
    There was never a concern of the meteor striking Earth. The concern was that the meteor would damage our satellites.

Also, the two were seemingly unrelated since they were traveling in different directions.

I think they said it was about 10 tons and to think that 10 tons flying over and exploding while injuring about 1,000 people. They said on the news that it was 1,000 people but on the websites it says something like 100.
    Just adding that 10 tons of Iron isn't that large, and that most of the damage was the result of the shockwave caused by the explosion (like in early 1900s Tunguska), and most of the injuries were because of glass from blown out windows or hurt ears. I think only a few people were seriously hurt when a factory partially collapsed when part of the meteor crashed through a wall... the other parts are reported to have crashed in low-population areas like fields.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

For those that are curious, the meteor that passed by Earth (DA14) was 17,000+ miles away from Earth, had a diameter of approximately 150ft and is suggested to weigh almost 200,000 tons. Although we don't know for sure, the Meteor Crater near Flagstaff, Arizona is believed to be the impact site of a similarly sized meteor of similar composition to that of DA14. You can look at pictures and find numbers of the crater, but that would be a large and devastating impact, especially if it hit a populated area like Western Europe, Eastern USA or Eastern Asia.
    Last edited by Chickenooble; 02-16-2013 at 00:45.

9. Likes Lebowski , Nerevar likes this post
    Veteran
    I immediately thought about the countless movies about aliens that kick off with a hodge-podge of news reports of a "meteorite" crashing on earth, only to have aliens come out of it and occupy surrounding areas.

Anyway, it's a blessing that no deaths have been recorded so far. I just hope those injuries remain simply injuries.

Finally, the news anchor and the reporter in that first video could've seriously been sisters who just happened to have different hair color.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I was hoping it was Optimus Prime...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

12. Likes x_terna likes this post
    Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    It fell in Russia which is half a world away from where I am but I certainly would want to know if a meteor big or small was coming down in my area. Even if NASA only looks after the big ones, some one else needs to keep track of the small ones like this. Split the work.
    Without a doubt. Imagine the type of damage this would have caused if it happened above a large city(somewhere with lots of high-rise buildings).

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Without a doubt. Imagine the type of damage this would have caused if it happened above a large city(somewhere with lots of high-rise buildings).
    Yep the damage, it could of at least taking out all them damn polo bears that sell coke a cola drinks
    Last edited by claud3; 02-16-2013 at 16:34.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Some of the captured footage..Wow. Crazy that there were no deaths, which is a great thing of course.

I would have been $#@!ting my pants if I saw that trail of fire in the sky

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Some of the captured footage..Wow. Crazy that there were no deaths, which is a great thing of course.

I would have been $#@!ting my pants if I saw that trail of fire in the sky
    Footage are indeed amazing considering the unexpected event. Some people cant take pics worth $#@! with stationary objects!

Glad it didn't hit the city and there was no death.

People taking footage seem to remain fairly calm. I can only imagine this hitting NA the panic it would create.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Not one single person has ever died from a meteor hit, only injuries

now over 1200 people were injured in this

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Btw hitting the meteor with missiles isnt an option as well as it could just turn the situation worst due to multiple exploded parts. However the distance is an important role as well in this case.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Imagine that feeling of seeing that in the sky and just assuming it was time to die. Scary $#@!

and I dunno, it may not have been that frightening as Snooper said, the people recording seemed fairly calm. But still!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    since they knew what it was, they relaxed and had a shot of VODKA

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Neighbors.. This is starting to look like a bad habit.

http://www.google.no/search?q=russia...iw=961&bih=553

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well all gone and finished with... Just wait until the next one pass's by in say 100-500 years

Last edited by claud3; 02-17-2013 at 02:40.

PSN ID
    Chickenooble
    Stop posting.

PSU Technical Advisor

25. Likes MonkeyClaw, Fon likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Oh, it seems that the meteor was just a marketing campaign for Walt Disney Russia.

Okay but seriously when I heard about this I was surprised mainly because I was with the idea that these objects get taken down or just disintegrate in the atmosphere before causing damage.

To what I know so far, this is the second time on record that Russia has been hit by a meteor. The first known one was the Tunguska event in 1908.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

PSU Technical Advisor
    It depends on the composition and size of the object. Many, many meteorites survive atmospheric reentry and crash into earth.

Most of them are not big enough to warrant notice\do damage or go undocumented.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Disney really know their foreign market so well, drop a disney palace on a country and people will be like lets go to disneyland

WORKS EVERY TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenooble View Post
    Stop posting.
    My thread and i have a strange humor

Thread Information