Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Meteorite hits Russian Urals: Fireball explosion wreaks havoc, over 500 injured

Russia’s Urals region has been rocked by a meteorite explosion in the stratosphere. The impact wave damaged several buildings, and blew out

thousands of windows amid frigid winter weather. Hundreds are seeking medical attention for minor injuries.
    Follow RT's LIVE UPDATES.

Below videos are in the spoilers

Eyewitness accounts of the meteorite phenomenon, handpicked by RT.
    Army units found three meteorite debris impact sites, two of which are in an area near Chebarkul Lake, west of Chelyabinsk. The third site was found some 80 kilometers further to the northwest, near the town of Zlatoust. One of the fragments that struck near Chebarkul left a crater six meters in diameter.

Servicemembers from the tank brigade that found the crater have confirmed that background radiation levels at the site are normal.
    Russian space agency Roskosmos has confirmed the object that crashed in the

Chelyabinsk region is a meteorite:

“According to preliminary estimates, this space object is of non-technogenic origin and qualifies as a meteorite. It was moving at a low trajectory with a speed of about 30 km/s.

According to estimates by the Russian Academy of Sciences, the space object weighed about 10 tons before entering Earth’s atmosphere.

As of 15:00 Moscow time, 725 people have sought medical attention in Chelyabinsk alone because of the disaster, 112 of whom have been hospitalized, of them two in heavy condition. Among the injured there are 159 children, Emergency ministry reported.

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from space objects such as asteroids or comets, ranging in size from tiny to gigantic.

When a meteorite falls on Earth, passing through the atmosphere causes it to heat up and emit a trail of light, forming a fireball known as a meteor, or shooting or falling star.

A bright flash was seen in the Chelyabinsk, Tyumen and Sverdlovsk regions, Russia’s Republic of Bashkiria and in northern Kazakhstan.
    The Russian army has joined the rescue operation. Army units are searching for meteorite debris in several places in Chelyabinsk region and in the neighboring Tyumen region.

Radiation, chemical and biological protection units have been put on high alert. Since the explosion occurred several kilometers above the Earth, a large ground area must be thoroughly checked for radiation and other threats.

At least one piece of the fallen object caused damage on the ground in Chelyabinsk. According to preliminary reports, it crashed into a wall near a zinc factory, disrupting the city's Internet and mobile service.

The Emergency Ministry reported that 20,000 rescue workers are operating in the region. Three aircraft were deployed to survey the area and locate other possible impact locations.

The Ministry reported that 297 buildings were damaged, and another 450 buildings were left without gas because facilities in the city had also been damaged, an Emergency Ministry spokesperson said, according to Russia 24 news channel.

The trail of a falling object is seen above a residential apartment block in the Urals city of Chelyabinsk, on February 15, 2013.(AFP Photo / Oleg Kargopolov)

Witnesses said the explosion was so loud that it seemed like an earthquake and thunder had struck at the same time, and that there were huge trails of smoke across the sky. Others reported seeing burning objects fall to earth

The Urals regional center of the Emergency Ministry claimed it sent out a mass SMS warning residents about a possible meteorite shower. However, eyewitnesses said they either never received it, or got the message after the explosion had already occurred.

Classes for all Chelyabinsk schools have been canceled, mostly due to broken windows. Institute students have been dismissed until next Monday. Authorities also ordered all kindergartens with broken windows to return children to their families.

According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers, local newspaper Znak reports quoting a source in the military.

Regnum news agency quoted a military source who claimed that the vapor condensation trail of the meteorite speaks to the fact that the meteorite was intercepted by air defenses.

Police in the Chelyabinsk region are reportedly on high alert, and have begun ‘Operation Fortress’ in order to protect vital infrastructure.

Office buildings in downtown Chelyabinsk are being evacuated. Injuries were reported at one of the city’s secondary schools, supposedly from smashed windows.

An emergency message published on the website of the Chelyabinsk regional authority urged residents to pick up their children from school and remain at home if possible.

Those in Chelyabinsk who had their windows smashed are scrambling to cover the openings with anything available – the temperature in the city is currently -6C.
    Chelyabinsk regional governor Mikhail Yurevich is urgently returning to the region. Yurevich said that preserving the city’s central heating system is authorities’ primary goal.

“Do not panic, this is an ordinary situation we can manage in a couple of days,” the governor said in and address to city residents.

Background radiation levels in Chelyabinsk remain unchanged, the Emergency Ministry reported.

The regional Emergency Ministry said the phenomenon was a meteorite shower, but locals have speculated that it was a military fighter jet crash or a missile explosion.

“According to preliminary data, the flashes seen over the Urals were caused by [a] meteorite shower," the Emergency Ministry told Itar-Tass news agency.
    The ministry also said that no local power stations or civil aircraft were damaged by the meteorite shower, and that“all flights proceed according to schedule.”

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who also oversees the Russian defense industry, wrote on Twitter that he would speak with Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev about the incident in the Urals.

“On Monday I will bring to Medvedev a straight picture of what has happened in the Urals and prospective proposals of how the country can find out about the dangers approaching Earth and deal with them,” Rogozin wrote.

Residents of the town of Emanzhilinsk, some 50 kilometers from Chelyabinsk, said they saw a flying object that suddenly burst into flames, broke apart and fell to earth, and that a black cloud had been seen hanging above the town. Witnesses in Chelyabinsk said the city’s air smells like gunpowder.

Residents across the Urals region were informed about the incident through a cellphone text message from the regional Emergency Ministry.
    Many locals reported that the explosion rattled their houses and smashed windows.

“This explosion, my ears popped, windows were smashed… phone doesn’t work,”Evgeniya Gabun wrote on Twitter.
    “My window smashed,

I am all shaking! Everybody says that a plane crashed,”
    Twitter user Katya Grechannikova reported.

“My windows were not smashed, but I first thought that my house is being dismantled, then I thought it was a UFO, and my eventual thought was an earthquake,” Bukreeva Olga wrote on Twitter.

The Mayak nuclear complex near the town of Ozersk was not affected by the incident, according to reports. Mayak, one of the world’s biggest nuclear facilities that used to house plutonium production reactors and a reprocessing plant, is located 72 kilometers northwest of Chelyabinsk.

It is believed that the incident may be connected to asteroid 2012 DA14, which measures 45 to 95 meters in diameter and will be passing by Earth tonight at around 19:25 GMT at the record close range of 27,000 kilometers

Photo from Twitter.com user @varlamov

Another Tunguska event?

The incident in Chelyabinsk bears a strong resemblance to the 1908 Tunguska event – an exceptionally powerful explosion in Siberia believed to have been caused by a fragment of a comet or meteor.

According to estimates, the energy of the Tunguska blast may have been as high as 50 megatons of TNT, equal to a nuclear explosion. Some 80 million trees were leveled over a 2,000-square-kilometer area. The Tunguska blast remains one of

the most mysterious events in history, prompting a wide array of hypotheses on its cause, including a black hole passing through Earth and the wreck of an alien spacecraft.

It is believed that if the Tunguska event had happened 4 hours later, due to the rotation of the Earth it would have completely destroyed the city of Vyborg and significantly damaged St. Petersburg.

When a similar, though less powerful, unexplained explosion happened in Brazil in 1930, it was named the ‘Brazilian Tunguska.’ The Tunguska event also prompted debate and research into preventing or mitigating asteroid impacts.

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-u...elyabinsk-283/

Over 750 people injured in this madness and still more reports of injuries coming in

Below in the Spoiler is updates on this

Update on the many injured

Around 950 people have sought medical attention in Chelyabinsk alone because of the disaster, the region's governor Mikhail Yurevich told RIA Novosti. Over 110 of them have been hospitalized and two of them are in heavy condition. Among the injured there are 159 children, Emergency ministry reported.
    Last edited by claud3; 02-15-2013 at 13:42.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

2. Likes bash likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Wow, that looks so cool.

Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

4. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Veteran
    Wow that's crazy. That some amazing footage. Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Wow, that looks so cool.

Man i wish i could +Rep you for that cool image

Hopefully not serious injuries to the people
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    The footage is indeed impressive.

Ultimate Veteran
    Pretty amazing how this could happen without warning. NORAD and NASA have a big spending program where they attempt to track each object on its way into our atmosphere. Now we know the system isn't bulletproof.
    Other opinions are available.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    that is crazy, I would of been pretty scared if I saw that $#@! driving to/from work lol

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Pretty amazing how this could happen without warning. NORAD and NASA have a big spending program where they attempt to track each object on its way into our atmosphere. Now we know the system isn't bulletproof.
    Very true... How the hell did they miss something so freaking big, bright and noisy

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Very true... How the hell did they miss something so freaking big, bright and noisy
    Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently they track less objects than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    The U.S. Strategic Command maintains a catalogue containing known orbital objects. The list was initially compiled in part to prevent misinterpretation as hostile missiles. The version compiled in 2009 listed about 19,000 objects. Observation data gathered by a number of ground-based radar facilities and telescopes as well as by a space-based telescope is used to maintain this catalogue. Nevertheless, the majority of expected debris objects remain unobserved – there are more than 600,000 objects larger than 1 cm (0.4 in) in orbit (according to the ESA Meteoroid and Space Debris Terrestrial Environment Reference, the MASTER-2005 model).
    Wikipedia

So I guess that's how it happened.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    if the average JOE, can pick it up and capture all the footage and bring in the info like i did to you guys... And i only have a tiny net book and people have phones and dash-cams..

You would think BILLIONS of DOLLARS, they would collect all this data before hand and gather enough info to warn what could happen

I prefer this guy,

Last edited by claud3; 02-15-2013 at 13:58.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Wow. That's crazy

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    if the average JOE, can pick it up and capture all the footage and bring in the info like i did to you guys... And i only have a tiny net book and people have phones and dash-cams..

You would think BILLIONS of DOLLARS, they would collect all this data before hand and gather enough info to warn what could happen
    From what I'm reading, the budget apparently allows tracking of objects as big as the Titanic. So I was totally wrong in my first post in the thread. Which in and among itself is scary.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    even with all the money spent on tracking objects in space i'm not surprised certain things slip by, they can't keep track of everything

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    That is insane, I would of had to change my underwear after witnessing something like that in person!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Yes i get they can not track everything... But the ISS station in space might have noticed something LMAO

But not every day does something so bright, big and noisy drops from space and does so much injuries or damage...

They are not common to be so big... Yes meteors and comets fall from space all the time and that is the way it has been for billions of years..

But from what i have learned over the years, that BIG one's like this are not as common as wee all think

In my opinion

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    yeah i know what you mean haha, must of been pretty big if it weighed 10 tonnes, but it wouldn't of been bright or noisy until it hit through the atmosphere

El Presidente
    From what I heard this morning on the news this meteor didn't slip by it simply was not kept track of. They said that some objects they don't track because they aren't a big enough threat. And by threat they mean, take out a very large area and kill many people. But when it's big enough the cause this many injuries they ought to keep track. I guess they only care about the ones that could devastate the Earth.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    From what I heard this morning on the news this meteor didn't slip by it simply was not kept track of. They said that some objects they don't track because they aren't a big enough threat. And by threat they mean, take out a very large area and kill many people. But when it's big enough the cause this many injuries they ought to keep track. I guess they only care about the ones that could devastate the Earth.
    That is exactly right, they only have so much resources to track stuff, so would you rather a small or large meteor slip by? Still though, you would have though someone whether it be NASA or even amateur astronomers would have seen that thing coming within the past few days and given us a heads up!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I seems to be not over yet... The meteor that fall was part of a bigger meteor, that is on course to fall later. In around 5-6 hours from now

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I seems to be not over yet... The meteor that fall was part of a bigger meteor, that is on course to fall later. In around 5-6 hours from now
    Great...if that damn meteor tries to ruin the reveal of the PS4/Orbis I will personally roundhouse kick it into the sun!

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Great...if that damn meteor tries to ruin the reveal of the PS4/Orbis I will personally roundhouse kick it into the sun!
    don't worry i'll get my mate on the case

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Holly crap. That's some apocalyptic $#@! there.

Imagine if that was to happen last year on 21/12/12. Oh boy!
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Did anyone else immediately think of Resistance fall of man when they first heard a meteor fell in Russia?.

Click HERE for my Videos

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    LMAO,

It is all up in the AIR at the moment on weather this other part will enter the atmosphere or just past by
    Last edited by claud3; 02-15-2013 at 15:24.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Please let there be mutants!

Sent from my Note II

Thread Information