Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Bullet For My ValentineAvenged SevenfoldLed ZeppelinHIMRolling StonesSex PistolsPink FloydRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaLinkin ParkNirvanaSlipknot

Sleep paralysis, holy friggin batman!

Just experienced sleep paralysis for the first time and I have to tell ya it was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. First I had pretty normal but very vivid dream, so I was probably lucid dreaming. Anyways all of a sudden I wake up when I hear a very old man yell at the top of his lungs to ''let get of his $#@!ing children'' with a creepy voice and then grab my face. I was horrified and tried to push the old man away but I couldn't move one bit. I tried to yell, but my mouth wouldn't make a sound. All I could do was twitch a little and breathe very heavily. I felt his hand on my face constantly and I could see the man in the corner of my eye. He did nothing but just stand there angrily and breathe heavily aswell. At this point I kinda realized I was in sleep paralysis so I closed my eyes and tried to relax. In a matter of seconds it was gone, and I was just laying there with my heart pounding 200bpm. What makes this extra scary is our radio turned itself on at one point in the night, and has done this other times before.

Anyways, if you haven't yet heard of sleep paralysis, here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Post your own stories aswell if you've experienced this!

Learn to do signatures here

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i've experienced this

when i was in high school i had some weird ass dream that i was being stalked by something in my own house. at first it was outside my bedroom window. but quickly moved away, as i was still dreaming i went to investigate and noticed all the doors and windows were wide open. at the end of my hallway there is a set of windows and as i exited my room i saw it in them. i thought it was kinda weird that it could move that fast yet kept its distance and i realised it was unable to come into the light (of my house)
    so i walked around the house watching it, tried to anyways, wehn i'd enter the sitting room, it would be at the kitchen, when i'd get to the kitchen, it was by the study etc. the one part of the house i wouldn't go near was the laundry as it (for some reason) had its lights out.
    im not that impressionable, naturally i didn't know i was dreaming, so i went about figuring out the rules of my situation. i had already established it couldn't come into the light, so i tried other things and saw what happened. i threw small items in its direction to see how it would react, flashed a flashlight at it, and did various other small things and then i came to the conclusion i was good till morning. so i made my way to the kitchen to make some tea and then it got me. destroying the my perceived rules completely. regardless of the situation fundamental rules cannot be broken (real world sense in a dream world) so i froze stiff, couldn't scream, couldn't think, all i could do was move my eyes. my breathing became so heavy and my heart was racing as i tried to re-figure the rules. i woke up because my body overheated, i was wet head to toe in sweat. and damn near out of breath.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 02-16-2013 at 09:51.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    yeah it is such a scary experience, when it happened to me i thought i was dying or something lol. I was just drifting off to sleep but then I woke up but my body was paralysed and I couldn't move for $#@!. I tried kicking and punching but couldn't move an inch, tried to scream as loud as I could and my mouth would not open. Eventually I calmed down and I could make small groans and then twitch my leg and after a few seconds I could move again, so I pegged it down stairs scared stiff!

I've had it another time but I knew what it was so it didn't last as long and wasn't as scary, still hate it though

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah I've heard these experiences are the scariest, mainly because your whole body is paralyzed. But my question is, were you trying to practice lucid dreaming on this night? Or have you tried before and finished unsuccessfully? The minute you make your mind realize that you are aware it's a dream, you can change it and shape it in ways limited to your imagination.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    i get it a few times a month due to lack of sleep and it is really unsettling...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not had that but once woke up because I wasn't breathing.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Yeah I've heard these experiences are the scariest, mainly because your whole body is paralyzed. But my question is, were you trying to practice lucid dreaming on this night? Or have you tried before and finished unsuccessfully? The minute you make your mind realize that you are aware it's a dream, you can change it and shape it in ways limited to your imagination.
    i was practising exhaustion
    had paddling training and the coach was particularly rough the day before, this quote from the wiki sums it up
    It is believed a result of disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia that prevents individuals from acting out their dreams.
    its quite a surreal experience expecting your body to do something as simple as make a sound yet finding you're completely incapable
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

I've had it for years. Not a good experience.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I really hate it when you have work the next day... I really mess's with your head all day and you can not work with it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Sleep Paralysis oh my I had it twice I was scared $#@!less. I swear it was paranormal too. I saw an old lady just sitting on a chair and laughing.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Sleep Paralysis oh my I had it twice I was scared $#@!less. I swear it was paranormal too. I saw an old lady just sitting on a chair and laughing.
    Your lucky ive had it lots and lots, I also get hypnagogic hallucinations. I feel theres a malevolent presence in the room with me and if I went to sleep with a remote or part of a heavy blanket on me itll feel like a hand holding me down. Im always terrified when it happens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Your lucky ive had it lots and lots, I also get hypnagogic hallucinations. I feel theres a malevolent presence in the room with me and if I went to sleep with a remote or part of a heavy blanket on me itll feel like a hand holding me down. Im always terrified when it happens.

Wow..I'm really sorry for you man that's horrible.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    You are all crazy

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Meh, I get pretty often. It doesn't even bother me anymore. I just it happen and sometimes I fall in to dream land.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Forum Sage

I don't think I've ever had it and if I have, it's probably been a good while. I have had the charlie-horse several times over the past though.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Sounds absolutely terrifying. I don't think I've had it, all I can think of is disturbing nightmares I used to have when I was younger and waking up in sweat and a racing heart.

My ex told me a few months ago that a friend of hers regularly lucid dreams. When she told me about it, it freaked me out - I dunno why? Just reminded me of the knife wielding crazy look in Inception lol.

Anyway she said that he is so 'advanced' at it that he has his own life in his dreams and that he goes to tropcial white sand islands and literally does whatever he wants when he's in them. And something about him often switching on and off light switches throughout the day, and checking how many fingers he has on his hands when he's awake - just to check he's not in a dream. Apparently you don't see artificial light sources and you have an extra finger(s) on your hand - I can't really remember exactly but it was something along those lines

Weird $#@!. But sounds exciting. It left me feeling a bit disturbed though, probably cus of that scene from inception lol and it didn't help she told me at 2am on the phone when I was laying in bed in the dark. Couldn't sleep after that

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingSpree0 View Post
    You are all crazy
    Crazy? Wtf are u talking about?

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Sounds absolutely terrifying. I don't think I've had it, all I can think of is disturbing nightmares I used to have when I was younger and waking up in sweat and a racing heart.

My ex told me a few months ago that a friend of hers regularly lucid dreams. When she told me about it, it freaked me out - I dunno why? Just reminded me of the knife wielding crazy look in Inception lol.

Anyway she said that he is so 'advanced' at it that he has his own life in his dreams and that he goes to tropcial white sand islands and literally does whatever he wants when he's in them. And something about him often switching on and off light switches throughout the day, and checking how many fingers he has on his hands when he's awake - just to check he's not in a dream. Apparently you don't see artificial light sources and you have an extra finger(s) on your hand - I can't really remember exactly but it was something along those lines

Weird $#@!. But sounds exciting. It left me feeling a bit disturbed though, probably cus of that scene from inception lol and it didn't help she told me at 2am on the phone when I was laying in bed in the dark. Couldn't sleep after that
    Sounds like nonsense to me, dont understand why you wouldn't be able to sleep after hearing about it. Doesn't sound scary at all.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

Well, what he's doing is not wrong. He's performing "reality checks" throughout the day to make sure he's not dreaming. It's actually why he's so "advanced" at this. This is actually recommended for people who want to lucid dream, to practice doing these checks. Even telling yourself before you fall asleep, "I will have a lucid dream.". And ask her if he keeps dream journals, because I bet he does. I've only just started on dream journals. But it's hard to do this everyday when you have school, homework and such. I really, badly, desperately want to lucid dream. I hear even sexual fantasies are more intense than in real life. Orgasms even. I cannot wait for the night I dream in complete control.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Sounds like nonsense to me, dont understand why you wouldn't be able to sleep after hearing about it. Doesn't sound scary at all.

Lol. As in I was kinda creeped out by that Inception scene and my ex was talking in a gather round children, it's time for a spooky tale voice . I fell asleep like an hour or two later

Well, what he's doing is not wrong. He's performing "reality checks" throughout the day to make sure he's not dreaming. It's actually why he's so "advanced" at this. This is actually recommended for people who want to lucid dream, to practice doing these checks. Even telling yourself before you fall asleep, "I will have a lucid dream.". And ask her if he keeps dream journals, because I bet he does. I've only just started on dream journals. But it's hard to do this everyday when you have school, homework and such. I really, badly, desperately want to lucid dream. I hear even sexual fantasies are more intense than in real life. Orgasms even. I cannot wait for the night I dream in complete control.
    Yeah like I said it sounds exciting

Well I don't really speak to her anymore but if I remember next time I will ask about the dream journals . Do you know anyone personally that lucid dreams?

It must feel very powerful when youre in that moment you realise youre dreaming and you calm yourself down and lucid dream. Just being able to do that, I mean

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I've only had a few lucid dreams, they never last that long so I'm probably not very good with the techniques. Doing the reality checks does sound like Inception haha

Master Poster
    This has happened to me alot in the past year, didnt realise it was sleep paralysis.
    Found it to be one of the most terrifying experiences I've had ans its something I cant forget when going to sleep. I always have this dread when trying to go to sleep that it may happen again and its made me more aware of white noise XD

My first experience:

Lying awake to my side and feel extremely cold as if a ghost is behind me and my body freezes.
    I then get this horrible feeling like my head is about to burst (cant quite explain it) and at the time it felt.like being possessed.
    I then hear several voices unified as one asking who I was (politely/formally)and before I could say my name in my mind it disappeared but I couldnt move for what felt like ages. I couldnt call for help or anything, mouth wouldnt open and I could only make a yelling sound with your mouth closed.

After I tried to calm down I was back to normal.

Since then this occurred several times over the next few nths, excluding the ghost illusion since it was just paralysis. I knew that I had to calm down but I also kept trying to yell for help.

Its weird however since what I see and imagine is a dream but my body not moving is real.
    Once had someone wake me up after they heard me making yelling sounds XD

I've also had another frightening experience in the past where I'd wake up to feel my face melting into the pillow( like a face paralysis) with what like alot of shouting and screaming in my mind but at a low volume so it felt like my mind was being squeezed. Horrible stuff but luckily they havent happened this year XD

Edit:
    Ive never had lucid dreams but I tend to have vivid dreams quite often. As a kud I used to cry before going to bed since I used to have vivid nightmares every night XD
    Last edited by darksora; 02-16-2013 at 21:59.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by darksora View Post
    Its weird however since what I see and imagine is a dream but my body not moving is real.
    Once had someone wake me up after they heard me making yelling sounds XD
    Your hallucinating not dreaming

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I was once told that if you eat a lot before bed, you're more then likely to experience this. I had this happened to me twice in my lifetime, not a very pleasant thing.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I don't think I've ever had it and if I have, it's probably been a good while. I have had the charlie-horse several times over the past though.
    These are so painful and the ones that make your muscles sore so the pain liners omg

Crazy? Wtf are u talking about?

Yes crazy, what more can I say about it?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thread Information