Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice

If the PS4 is easy to develop for....

Do you think we will see less games being cancelled compared to the PS3 and more independent studio support?

I noticed so many games being cancelled and a good few of them looked really promising. I assume that the reason they may have been cancelled is because of the PS3 not being that friendly to develop for. As we all know a lot of developers did have a problem with the architecture of the PS3. The price was also high when it came to developing games for the PS3 system which I believe Independent studios couldn't really use their full potential because of the lack of easy to use hardware and the cost. I am sure a lot of people are aware of this.

Okay, I am not a developer by any mean but, I assume that we will see more indepent developers that are able to make games like they were doing on the PS1 and PS2.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 02-17-2013 at 16:30.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It could be a good thing if it is. Only time will tell. I don't know if the prices will go down with new tech. I just assume that usually with the increase in tech prices rise. Just an assumption though. I could be wrong.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    XxRichie98xX
    Im sure,they trying to make sure that it will be easy to develope,sony focusing on games,which is a good thing,i think everything will go well

HI!!
    My babys :
    PS3 160gb slim
    psp 3000 slim and lite
    ps 4
    ID:XxRichie98xX

"Play life,with 100% save!"

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I'm no techie, but I think with how often the unorthodox and hard-to-work-with architecture of the PS3 was brought up by developers this gen it can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

There's a ton of indie studio stuff that makes its way to PC/Steam so if it's simple to port it to the PS4 then I'm sure we will see much more indie support over PSN

Straight forward components should help kick down the price of the console sooner than they managed this gen without hurting too much as well

So yeah, all in all - assuming it is indeed easy to work with - this is good news

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    nope not at all
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Hopefully the rumors are right and they stay with AMD, IBM talking them into the Cell was the ps3's biggest downfall a nice AMD apu with a healthy amount of ram would make the hardware profitable fast and devs already know x64(AMD64) so it would make it cheaper and easier on them. A nice zunelike UI would be awesome with low overhead. Hell a Radeon 7800 plus a nice 6 core AMD cpu would be perfect, cheap and last until 2016. That would be able to do most game 60fps standard at above just 1080p.
    I'm more hyped for the Ps4 then was for the Ps3, especially sinces it easy to emulate Ps2/PSOne games in x64 but the cell is gonna be a b* to emulate.

The Ps4 could be the new Ps2 if Sony plays their cards right, especially since gamers are not hyped at all for the WiiU/720.

I'm most worried Sony will screw it up, listen to AMD's recommendations imo Sony, AMD is one of my favorite tech companies they know gaming and media. Dropping IBM was the best thing Sony's done so far.

The Ps3 was alright hardware wise but it was way over-enigineered.
    Sony working with AMD has got everyone, devs and consumers interested in Sony Playstation again, just try not to mess it up and you'll be back on top again

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    I'm no techie, but I think with how often the unorthodox and hard-to-work-with architecture of the PS3 was brought up by developers this gen it can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

There's a ton of indie studio stuff that makes its way to PC/Steam so if it's simple to port it to the PS4 then I'm sure we will see much more indie support over PSN

Straight forward components should help kick down the price of the console sooner than they managed this gen without hurting too much as well

So yeah, all in all - assuming it is indeed easy to work with - this is good news
    The problem with the Ps3 was it had one core with 6 SPE's basically real weak threading units and the GPU was poor and Sony messed up big time when they divided the vram and cell's ram, they shoulda made the ram pool shared, also the cell didnt have much cashe(cashe is used for pooling the Instruction set waiting to be processed)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruc...puter_science)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The games will still cost a crap load to make and require much more man power, so it'll probably get worse compared to this gen I think. And then you have the indie devs... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    The games will still cost a crap load to make and require much more man power, so it'll probably get worse compared to this gen I think. And then you have the indie devs... lol
    Games are cheap to make especially using x86-64 most game cost are profit(admin) overhead, the witcher 2 didnt cost much to make despite being a good looking game and since Sony's a public corporation this drives up cost because Sony shareholders want the most money they can.
    There are alot of games made by a few guys that go on to make millions due to the fact they don't have the stock market to put up with.
    The market drives up games for profit not because they require alot to make.
    Last edited by DisturbedOne465; 02-17-2013 at 23:58.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yes we will see more games on the ps4. Sony made sure they made this console easy to develope for.this is the frist ps console that crazy ken did not get his hands on and its developer friendly.

Forum Guru
    I see it as a good thing. It will means PS4 will get tons of support from small time developers. Echo Night 3 please!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Maybe it will be easy.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

I doubt it's "easy" to design and program a whole game regardless of the system. The PS3 has obviously been utilized well enough by this point, so anyone griping about a new language or architecture really just comes across as unprofessional in my opinion.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_1991 View Post
    I doubt it's "easy" to design and program a whole game regardless of the system. The PS3 has obviously been utilized well enough by this point, so anyone griping about a new language or architecture really just comes across as unprofessional in my opinion.
    I think what they are referring to is more 'developer friendly', while programming a game is no easy task to begin with, having hardware and software that is easier to work with and learn can make games get developed at a quicker pace and with higher quality!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    I would believe that if something is difficult to develop for that would increase the cost of the game. Independent developers are making a bunch of PC games even right now the PC is getting a good amount of games. The cost to risk ratio is more friendly compared to the current PS3 architecture compared to (if the rumors are correct) the PS4, I'd assume anyway.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I think what they are referring to is more 'developer friendly', while programming a game is no easy task to begin with, having hardware and software that is easier to work with and learn can make games get developed at a quicker pace and with higher quality!
    This, sadly it doesn't fix leadership problems on actual development or the fact that most of the cost comes from content creation.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

I'm a hater, a traito.
    All this talk of Indie developers :/
    I just want 3rd party games to be decent this time around, sounds like they should be!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    This, sadly it doesn't fix leadership problems on actual development or the fact that most of the cost comes from content creation.
    While that is very true, it still doesn't hurt to have a very programmer friendly machine! Just think what kind of magic companies that don't have leadership problems will be able to do like Naughty Dog, etc.!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    All this talk of Indie developers :/
    I just want 3rd party games to be decent this time around, sounds like they should be!
    Gaming needs indie developers because without them you wouldn't be getting a lot of new ip's and nothing would be branching out in the gaming community. Without independent developers with the PS1, a lot of great games wouldn't have been played at all. The first Silent Hill for example, this was a great game. If it wasn't for those basement developers no one would have experienced that game. I am sure there are other people that can use examples here as well. Consoles need indie devs, without them you would be missing out on a lot of good games. Of course not every indie dev game is good and quite a good sum are garbage but there are those other games that change and mold a lot of gaming needs.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    If it is easy to develop for, I hope they are able to do away with all the bugs we've encountered this gen. Maybe they'll spend more time polishing the games.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    If it is easy to develop for, I hope they are able to do away with all the bugs we've encountered this gen. Maybe they'll spend more time polishing the games.

Optimization is key. It's amazing how much faster our hardware is getting yet the software is still buggy and slow, or will be eventually as crap accumulates. referring to home computers in particular here but it applies to anything really.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post

Sadly I don't think we will ever see a time in gaming where we see very little bugs in gaming throughout a console's generation. Most due to timelines that are placed on games they are rushed out far too often. I think this is one of the biggest factors to games getting released with bugs.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_1991 View Post
    Optimization is key. It's amazing how much faster our hardware is getting yet the software is still buggy and slow, or will be eventually as crap accumulates. referring to home computers in particular here but it applies to anything really.
    Hopefully they figure things out and not do as many patches as they've done this gen. Or it can be wishful thinking on my part.

Thread Information