Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2939 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    My local news is doing a PS4 story lmao this will be one of the few occasions I watch the news lmao
    Sony is getting that coverage that they used to. Hype Train engaged.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Overseer
    I have to give it up to Sony for finally letting Americans do the job right. Japanese people are good at making things, they're not good at trends and social concepts and actual game console concepts. They lack the communication that Americans do really well with. Props to them to finally integrate their console to the western audience.

3. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    Man, that DS4 prototype looked ugly as hell, but the real one looks quite "sexy" and wish I had one now for PS3.

As for the PS4 itself, I'm really excited about the huge convenience factor it seems to have, and the idea of everything from downloading, to booting up/shutting off, to restoring game sessions being "instant".

Streaming stuff sounds amazing if it actually works.

I have a vita, but don't honestly use it that much. Super happy they are making it a must have companion thing for the PS4. If the remote play stuff actually happens, then it will be getting a lot of use from me.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I have to give it up to Sony for finally letting Americans do the job right. Japanese people are good at making things, they're not good at trends and social concepts and actual game console concepts. They lack the communication that Americans do really well with. Props to them to finally integrate their console to the western audience.
    Yep. They are adjusting in areas that they lacked that were appealing to the US. While still keeping their overall identity. I couldn't be happier with the way Sony played this one out. There is still more to come that could say "Why", but as of right now they are on the right foot in the right direction. The US market killed them this gen and it looks like they are trying to take it back without the loss of keeping their core focus.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix336 View Post
    Not sure if mentioned here yet, but I noticed they also said they've got updated rumble in the DS4. I remember someone here saying they were hoping for that. Very briefly mentioned it, so I imagine it was easy to miss.
    haha that was me! glad they are using the updated rumble

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yep. They are adjusting in areas that they lacked that were appealing to the US. While still keeping their overall identity. I couldn't be happier with the way Sony played this one out. There is still more to come that could say "Why", but as of right now they are on the right foot in the right direction. The US market killed them this gen and it looks like they are trying to take it back without the loss of keeping their core focus.
    Yeah, I agree. This was badly needed for Sony to start going in a better direction. I have a feeling this next gen is going to be really amazing.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    haha that was me! glad they are using the updated rumble
    what is the update rumble?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yeah, I agree. This was badly needed for Sony to start going in a better direction. I have a feeling this next gen is going to be really amazing.
    I agree. I think Sony has a lot of good things lined up for PS4 with an approach towards catering to devs and gamers will pay off I think.

Forum Overseer
    They're giving us feature that gamers need...the only thing we're missing now is in-game browser which will probably be there as it is in Vita, right?

But yea, this is the direction I wanted them to go. I hope they support the camera like MS will but I doubt we will see much out of that. I like that MS will be pushing Kinect. Sony really needs to tap into that tech and really integrate it into their software so I can switch between the DS and the camera...because my 2 year old son would love that.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    touchsense! this was from 2006....i know its gfained some updates by now
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/immersi...e-tech-6152917

Haptic house reveals new rumble possibilities for next-gen systems; new TouchSense can be used with motion-sensitive controllers.Immersion Corporation may be best known to gamers for being involved in a long, bitter court case with Sony over copyright infringement (a case that Immersion won), but almost any gamer who has played a current-gen system has felt its product in their hands. TouchSense vibration technology is the engine behind rumble features in controllers, allowing controllers to vibrate in conjunction with actions on the screen.
    Just as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are making the transition to next-gen technology, so is Immersion. The company, which happens to be partially owned by Microsoft, today announced the latest version of TouchSense, which has been engineered for next-generation gaming.
    The new technology uses one motor instead of the dual-motor system used in previous versions--with one motor, power consumption, physical space, and weight have all been reduced. The new TouchSense also provides a wider range of vibration effects, synching up with onscreen events more accurately to simulate different terrain when driving, the "springy sensation of hitting a tennis ball," and more-realistic gunfire.
    Motion-sensing controllers may also be able to benefit from the new TouchSense. Sony dropped vibration from its PlayStation 3 controller, instead moving in favor of a motion-sensitive controller. Sony said the decision was made because the two technologies could not coexist in the same controller. Immersion puts this idea to rest with the new TouchSense, which uses "filtering and other techniques" to differentiate between the motions of the player moving the controller and the motion caused by rumbling.
    Developers are also being targeted by Immersion through the ability to program specific effects directly into games, to which TouchSense will react to.

"Immersion Studio allows developers to deal in objects and inter-relationships like any modern programming language, freeing them from tedious low-level mechanics and letting them concentrate on integrating the vibration effects with graphics and sound," says Immersion VP Christophe Ramstein. "They can finally focus on the art of creating even more compelling vibrations."

Administrator
    They're giving us feature that gamers need...the only thing we're missing now is in-game browser which will probably be there as it is in Vita, right?

But yea, this is the direction I wanted them to go. I hope they support the camera like MS will but I doubt we will see much out of that. I like that MS will be pushing Kinect. Sony really needs to tap into that tech and really integrate it into their software so I can switch between the DS and the camera...because my 2 year old son would love that.
    I think the browser will be quite awesome... and hopefully it'll have GPU-accelerated rendering.

Only time will tell, though.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Thanks for the replies regarding the 8gb ggr5 guys

Sufi they just mentioned an updated rumble so I' guessing more intricate or programmable motors inside the controller, which is nice. Not enough subtlety when it comes to rumble in the DS3 imo

With 8gb gddr5 I hope the console manages to be attractively priced. That amount of speedy ram is more about future proofing so I hope it's worth it initially

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

Sufi they just mentioned an updated rumble so I' guessing more intricate or programmable motors inside the controller, which is nice. Not enough subtlety when it comes to rumble in the DS3 imo

With 8gb gddr5 I hope the console manages to be attractively priced. That amount of speedy ram is more about future proofing so I hope it's worth it initially
    8 GB of GDDR5 is downright effing amazing.

It should be attractively priced... if it goes in the tradition of AMD... which is generally cheaper and more power-efficient than the competition.

Forum Sage
    8 GB of GDDR5 is downright effing amazing.

It should be attractively priced... if it goes in the tradition of AMD... which is generally cheaper and more power-efficient than the competition.
    Cheaper than intel in consumer computers, consoles are rather different. And AMD doesn't have a power draw/thermal advantage there.

Also AMD doesn't manufacture memory, so they won't have any real effect there.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah I just watched it he did say GDDR5 just to clarify if anyone was still confused.

Forum Overseer
    I think the browser will be quite awesome... and hopefully it'll have GPU-accelerated rendering.

Only time will tell, though.
    See now we're expecting too much. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    touchsense! this was from 2006....i know its gfained some updates by now
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/immersi...e-tech-6152917
    Ah I see. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post

It will be, honestly the biggest mistake Sony made with the PS3 was the blu-ray so early...it was there before people had 1080p TVs.

I don't think the PS3 would've cost more than $399 or even $299...I'm sure they could've done a $299 with some changes. Like if they had gone with a cheaper form factor design that we have now, taken out the touch-sensitive stuff that they did...BC, all that stuff that they took out...without Blu-ray it could've easily been $299.

Sony is good with keeping the costs low...but they messed up there.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Welp so long as it's around that $400-500 mark it for the two SKUs it should be OK I think. I feel that is competitive with whatever Microsoft has planned

I also have faith that the hardware itself will look very sexy and appealing like all of Sony's 2013 electronic products. That always helps when trying to sell an expensive luxury

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Cheaper than intel in consumer computers, consoles are rather different. And AMD doesn't have a power draw/thermal advantage there.

Also AMD doesn't manufacture memory, so they won't have any real effect there.
    How is it different?

Administrator
    It will be, honestly the biggest mistake Sony made with the PS3 was the blu-ray so early...it was there before people had 1080p TVs.
    No, that was hardly a mistake to introduce Blu-ray into the PS3. It was a marketing strategy to get Blu-ray into the homes of millions of people during the Blu-ray Vs HD-DVD war... and it's the sole reason why Blu-ray won the format war. A lot of people bought the PS3 primarily as a Blu-ray player... and being able to game or use it as a media center was an added bonus. The original was also backwards compatible with PS2, which was also a nice perk and instantly opened up people to a big library of games.

Sony was thinking ahead... they bit the bullet at first on price... but it turned out well in the end and Sony won the format war.

Forum Overseer
    No, that was hardly a mistake to introduce Blu-ray into the PS3. It was a marketing strategy to get Blu-ray into the homes of millions of people during the Blu-ray Vs HD-DVD war... and it's the sole reason why Blu-ray won the format war. A lot of people bought the PS3 primarily as a Blu-ray player... and being able to game or use it as a media center was an added bonus. The original was also backwards compatible with PS2, which was also a nice perk and instantly opened up people to a big library of games.

Sony was thinking ahead... they bit the bullet at first on price... but it turned out well in the end and Sony won the format war.
    Exactly, thank you for proving my point hehe. The reason for including it was primarily for the format war.

While it was ok for gaming, we didn't gain much other than convenience. RAM was still a limiting factor. Specifically, 360 combated the problem by providing installs.

Imo, the price wasn't worth the limited benefits it provided. I'm not saying it was a total loss because I'm sure some of us ended up using the player as well and i do love the blu-ray discs being scratch-resistant but I still feel that it was a mixed bag for gaming as a whole as with a lower price, we may have seen much better developer support. Especially Japan.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19

I don't think the PS3 would've cost more than $399 or even $299...I'm sure they could've done a $299 with some changes. Like if they had gone with a cheaper form factor design that we have now, taken out the touch-sensitive stuff that they did...BC, all that stuff that they took out...without Blu-ray it could've easily been $299.

Blu Ray definitely drove the price of the PS3 up a great deal considering it was completely new tech. I for one loved the inclusion of Blu Ray tbh. I think with the focus being a great deal on content while maintaining a very strong system that is more conventional it will be easy to keep the console at $400 and under.

Administrator
    Exactly, thank you for proving my point hehe. The reason for including it was primarily for the format war.

While it was ok for gaming, we didn't gain much other than convenience. RAM was still a limiting factor. Specifically, 360 combated the problem by providing installs.

Imo, the price wasn't worth the limited benefits it provided. I'm not saying it was a total loss because I'm sure some of us ended up using the player as well and i do love the blu-ray discs being scratch-resistant but I still feel that it was a mixed bag for gaming as a whole as with a lower price, we may have seen much better developer support. Especially Japan.
    It's kind of sad that the PS3 is still one of the best Blu-ray players on the market. I finally convinced my folks to get a PS3 to replace their 250 dollar Blu-ray player, which is utter crap in comparison... and laggy as hell. They love the PS3 now, although they don't even use it for gaming... just Blu-ray and Netflix, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Blu Ray definitely drove the price of the PS3 up a great deal considering it was completely new tech. I think with the focus being a great deal on content while maintaining a very strong system that is more conventional it will be easy to keep the console at $400 and under.
    I really hope so. If it's only $400 ish, that would be amazing.

Forum Overseer
    It's kind of sad that the PS3 is still one of the best Blu-ray players on the market. I finally convinced my folks to get a PS3 to replace their 250 dollar Blu-ray player, which is utter crap in comparison... and laggy as hell. They love the PS3 now, although they don't even use it for gaming... just Blu-ray and Netflix, basically.

and I hate that because it's a great console...it bothers me when people don't utilize it. my parents have it too because it's just easier than other equipment.

i actually forced them to return their previous PS3 purchase and then eventually went out and bought it again...didn't like the blu-ray stand alone player and the roku.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

Um, no. PS3 br player hasn't been top dog for quite a while; not even "one of the best" anymore. It IS the best blu-ray player in gaming consoles though. I'm willing to go up to $499 for the best launch system.

Forum Sage

The biggest mistake was the cell. Blu-Ray only added to that, but actually served a purpose.

How is it different?
    With consoles the hardware vendors and console companies can negotiate contracts however they like.

This is not the case when amd is selling cpu's to dell (or whoever dell subcontracts out the manufacture of their pc's to). Thing are much more rigid, less flexible.

Also I doubt intel really has any interest in making cpu's for consoles. AMD however will likely use this opportunity as a lifeline.

Thread Information