Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Crytek: next-gen consoles "impossible" to match PCs

Crytek head says next-gen consoles 'impossible' to match PCs

As gamers prepare for their likely first glimpse of the next generation tomorrow, at least one executive is tempering expectations. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli says it is "impossible" for the next-generation consoles to match high-end gaming PCs.

"Without breaking NDAs that are in place, realistically, from purely a price point perspective, it is impossible," Yerli told Eurogamer. "It's impossible to package $2000-3000 into a mainstream, let's say $500 console. I'm not saying they are $500 consoles. They may launch a console at $2000, but the consumer pricing is usually much lower than that." He further stated that Moore's Law dictates that hardware evolutions mean consoles launching in 2013, 2014, or even 2015 "will never beat a PC again."

The other issue at play is the PC culture, which Yerli says has grown more advanced and devoted to powerful gaming rigs. "If you look at PC gaming, that has changed also. The whole modular way you can design a PC today, with two, three or four graphics cards in them, and you can water cool them and overclock to infinity, that didn't exist even six or seven years ago. You just bought one or maybe two graphics cards and then you were super enthusiastic. It's very difficult to compete with that. People have these massive nuclear power plants standing in their rooms that will run your games really fast. It's hard to compete with."

If Yerli is right, Sony's presentation tomorrow may underwhelm some PC gamers who already own machines that outpace the future console.
    www.shacknews.com

Friendship is Carrots
    No $#@!, Crytek. Obviously PC's are technologically superior. I'm not sure why this is news, honestly.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

3. Likes Fon , Fenix , Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    As enlightening as ever, Yerli

$500 console can't compete with $2000 gaming PC shocker

5. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    And the best PC rig will never match Pixar's rendering farm...

I don't expect the next gen consoles to have the power or the latest and fastest rigs of today, it would be stupid to assume that, but I do know a lot more optimizations and TLC get put into consoles games like Uncharted, etc.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

7. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Oh wow...NO $#@!ING WAY! PS4 will be more powerful than PCs...that's just how it is...

$#@!ing no $#@! sherlock

In other news, knives will never be as deadly as a 16 barrel gattling gun...

9. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh wow...NO $#@!ING WAY! PS4 will be more powerful than PCs...that's just how it is...

$#@!ing no $#@! sherlock

or bees...or a dog that has bees in its mouth, so when it barks it shoots bees at you!

Dedicated Member

$#@!ing no $#@! sherlock
    As obvious as that may seem, there were a whole ton of PS3 fanboys that were absolutely convinced that the PS3 would not only surpass the best of gaming PCs, but would be a supercomputer. They screamed at the top of their lungs TWO TERAFLOPS OF POWER, and CELL IS MORE ADVANCED THAN A PC CPU!!!

So as obvious as it is to you or me, there are a large number of people who do need to be reminded that a console is nothing more than a stripped down budget gaming system.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    As obvious as that may seem, there were a whole ton of PS3 fanboys that were absolutely convinced that the PS3 would not only surpass the best of gaming PCs, but would be a supercomputer. They screamed at the top of their lungs TWO TERAFLOPS OF POWER, and CELL IS MORE ADVANCED THAN A PC CPU!!!

So as obvious as it is to you or me, there are a large number of people who do need to be reminded that a console is nothing more than a stripped down budget gaming system.
    That's a bit disingenuous, they are obviously more than just a stripped down gaming system. Just in a different way

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post

I don't see it as a stripped down budget gaming system, I see it as an highly optimized reasonably priced gaming system!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Is it just me, or does Crytek like to be the Captain Obvious of the gaming industry?

Next they'll be saying; "if you turn off your PC - it can't play games"!

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

15. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Is it just me, or does Crytek like to be the Captain Obvious of the gaming industry?

Next they'll be saying; "if you turn off your PC - it can't play games"!
    They should make this their new company logo:

Elite Guru

$#@!ing no $#@! sherlock

Have to disagree with you there. We don't even know if the gun is loaded.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Some of the things Crytek says...SMH.

No way ps4 is SUPER POWER! Didn't you all feel the shockwaves yesterday when Sony's prototype was running those demos?

Regardless I'm still gonna go with a playstation or any of the other consoles over a PC about 90% of the time.

20. Likes Fon likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Same old Crytek. Can't say they are wrong though. My PC kills kills anything PS4 or next gen xbox will do but i'm still looking forward to them.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I hate weather forecasters in the game industry.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    A closed platform is insuperior to an open platform in terms of specs. No $#@!. So what?

I just want to play good games, PC, PS3, whatever. This $#@! Crytec always goes on about is stupid and tiresome.

Not to mention there are barely ANY games that take advantage of my PC fully, and never will we see heaps of games that are until consoles are on par. Why? Because people who make games make them for more systems than just PC so it sells.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    This $#@! Crytec always goes on about is stupid and tiresome.
    Yep. I could not give a sh^t less about anything they have to say... because they never say anything new except stating the obvious... as if it's something new and revolutionary.

-barf-
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Yep. I could not give a sh^t less about anything they have to say... because they never say anything new except stating the obvious... as if it's something new and revolutionary.

-barf-
    And its like they are constantly dismissing console owners and calling them stupid for not owning a PC.

Even though the entire Crysis series in on PC PS3 X360...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    And its like they are constantly dismissing console owners and calling them stupid for not owning a PC.

Even though the entire Crysis series in on PC PS3 X360...
    Consoles serve a very different purpose... so anything they have to say is quite irrelevant. And yes... apparently the console gamers do matter to them for sales otherwise they wouldn't port their game to consoles. They're incredibly condescending.

CONSOLES THAT ARE UPDATED EVERY 5 TO 8 YEARS COULD NEVER MATCH PCS THAT ARE UPDATED EVERY 5 MINUTES!

No sh^t. Groundbreaking and totally worthy of making an article about it.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

28. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    im so sick of crytek... they need to shut the $#@! up and go back to PC only... i really dont want their $#@!TY games on my consoles anyway... THEYRE BORING!!!!!!
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

30. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Crytek,..try making a game that looks good AND is actually fun, then vomit your tired old PC elitist bull$#@!. $#@!ing idiots lol.

Administrator
    Crytek,..try making a game that looks good AND is actually fun [...]
    They can't.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    No $#@!, Crytek. Obviously PC's are technologically superior. I'm not sure why this is news, honestly.
    Not that he would know given how Crytek screwed PC gamers pretty hard with Crysis 2 lol.

The consoles represent an amazing value and certain kind of tailored experience that PC's don't have. Conversely, PC's are far more flexible, powerful and open than consoles.

But I'm not gonna hook my insanely expensive PC with no Blu-Ray drive out in my living room near my TV.

Thread Information