Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Alvar
    Hey, I live in Vancouver and I have had no luck with pre-orders. My EB-game(in Oakridge) told me that they will start mid october, man this waiting is killing me. If anyone else in vancouver has some luck can you let me know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by UGRepellant View Post
    UPDATE: I just drove to Blockbuster because they just started a calling list. I am the first one on the list and they said they are going to call me when they are starting pre-orders in a few weeks.

I don't know if this is Canada-wide, it may be. It may also be on a per-store basis. If I were you, I would check immediately what the situation is at every Blockbuster near you.
    Each store must be different, cause I've already pre-ordered at Blockbuster.

I'm in Victoria BC

Went to two Zellers locations here in Victoria. Both said they'll have PS3s on launch day. No word on how many or whether or not they'll do pre-orders.

Called about 6 blockbusters around Toronto, Canada. They don't know about it but tell me their is a possibility they will be doing pre-orders.

majinvegeta
    Ok! Updated to version 4.0! - includes Zellers, The Bay and HMV to the MAYBE list. I am willing to take em up to confirm if thats what you guys want. And what do you guys think of the distribution? is it realistic?

Let me know if theres more information, I can always update this thing. And I think I will decide to add a Pre-Order column, so people can see whether stores are taking pre-orders yet or not for that specific store, might need a legend for that.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by koncise View Post
    Each store must be different, cause I've already pre-ordered at Blockbuster.
    Knocise, you know the store that you preordered from... I went there and did the same thing. The woman was like... oh, ur the first on the list, checks the system and said that.
    Then I was like... okay.. so neways, I took my recipt and then went home.

Two days b4 today, I've called that store, and then they said their getting 1 system... which is really bullshyt to me cause then they also said that theres 2 preorders and they won't be taking any more preorders because of that. (even though they havent started one officially).

The PS3 is of which is either mine or urs.... but then they dont have ne idea or w/e whos first or second.

So pretty much, if they really get 1 system, we are gonna fight to the death for it.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLuSionS View Post
    Knocise, you know the store that you preordered from... I went there and did the same thing. The woman was like... oh, ur the first on the list, checks the system and said that.
    Then I was like... okay.. so neways, I took my recipt and then went home.

Two days b4 today, I've called that store, and then they said their getting 1 system... which is really bullshyt to me cause then they also said that theres 2 preorders and they won't be taking any more preorders because of that. (even though they havent started one officially).

The PS3 is of which is either mine or urs.... but then they dont have ne idea or w/e whos first or second.

So pretty much, if they really get 1 system, we are gonna fight to the death for it.
    LoL... i just went in today to confirm some stuff, but the manager wasnt there. so the girl that took my pre-order (who i was talking to again today), gave me the managers name and told me when she was in next so i could call and speak with her for more details. Although she did say again that I was the first one

however, since we know i REALLY was the first one, and that im SURE there records will show when we both pre-ordered (if not, our receipts will), there wont be much of a fight.

although if an issue did arise, im sure u'd be a mature person and allow me to have it since im the reason u have this pre-order lol

lets just hope they still get at least 2... i was told 5 again today, so who knows

i'll update after speaking with the store manager

filthman

Those Numbers Look About Right

The numbers look about right. They will have a few more in each store than they did for 360.

Don't kid yourselves, there will be preorders but they will be limited. If a store gets 20 units on launch, 5-10 will be preorder and the rest walk ins.

To keep everything for launch would be stupid as the chaos that could ensue would be poor PR for the store(s) and Sony. If by chance nobody allows preorders then expect stores to hand out tickets or wristbands. That way when the allocation is up, everyone can move on and avoid fights.

Funny thing about the 360 shortage was Microsoft did a launch party down at The Guvernment and I was (and anyone who kept tabs on things) able to attend. At that party, Future Shop had about 150 units to sell. By the end of the night they had many left and allowed us to buy more than one. It was a joke! I remember driving home at 1:00 a.m. to see poor souls lining up at Best Buy. I pulled up and said "Does anyone want a 360?" They were dumbfounded when I said to look in my back seat.

Anyhow, some Blockbuster stores in the GTA have started preorder lists. The store I frequent in Ajax was doing it tonight. I was 5th on the list. The manager said that they had a conference call on Wednesday and are awaiting final allocation numbers from Sony. She said Sony is being a pain in the ass about everything. She said the fact that production only recently started may be a factor and that Sony may have to announce fewer numbers for North America. Anyhow, she expected roughly the same allocation as the 360 which is 10 units per store. She said Blockbuster Canada received 450 360s for launch day last year to sell. When Sony releases the numbers, people will be called and it will be first come first served. No deposit RATHER you must pay in full.

Talked to a very good and knowledgable Best Buy manager. He expects a small preorder campaign similar to the 360 preorder campain which was 10-20 units per store. He said more will be available for preorder on their website when the time comes.

Similar story from Future Shop. There will be a preorder campaign once they get their numbers.

Finally, Rogers Video stores will have 5-10 units per store on launch day. First come, first served.

Super Elite

It's good to hear that stores have actually did some stuff.

koncise, lol, ive called again, and it didn't look too GREAT, but w/e man, u told me bout it, so I'm pretty sure you deserve it more than me. Hopefully, we get bout 5-6 systems, then we wont have to kill each other for it!

And you gotta make sure you are specific to any stores about preorder... DO NOT SAY: " I was wondering about the PS3 Preorder", cause that gets you nowhere.

Also, make sure you KNOW what u are talking about to the Blockbuster guys, or else they'll be a Jackdonkey and say theres no preorder... (some stores are individual, ie... they can do their own preorders) so if ur lucky, u get one.

illusions, what do u mean u called and it didnt look great? you're getting me worried.. haha

I would think that a blockbuster with a gamerush would get at least 3-5 units, but i guess u never know...

Majin, great job on the list.

Has anyone called the HMV Headquarters in Toronto yet? It's possible that in addition to in-store pre-orders they may have online pre-orders, because their site is run off of Amazon.ca

Also, I'm going to get info on Sears tomorrow. Everyone who plans on pre-ordering should be calling around to confirm our results in your cities.

Here are my ideas for v.5:
    - Preorder column stating whether pre-order is definite/possible/unlikely/finished
    - Column with probable dates for any pre-orders
    - Column stating whether there will be a call-list of any sort for stores with pre-order

Filthman, that launch party story is hilarious. Good job.

Apprentice

you got wrong info, I got connections form this guy who works at the sony store. And they will be getting 30-50 units at launch depending on how big the store is.
    trust me, the guy was a manager and he KNOWS how much he is getting.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenogo View Post
    you got wrong info, I got connections form this guy who works at the sony store. And they will be getting 30-50 units at launch depending on how big the store is.
    trust me, the guy was a manager and he KNOWS how much he is getting.
    Don't bet on it. Most will lie to your face regardless of the store. I doubt the Sony store sells as much as BestBuy and EB together.

filthman
    The Sony store won't get crap no matter what they say.

Allocation is done by Sony in the US for even Canada and it goes solely by which vendor has the best sales and volume. In Canada that would be in this order:

1. Best Buy
    2. Future Shop
    3. Walmart
    4. EB Games

Sony Store doesn't sell **** in terms of volume.

majinvegeta
    Quote Originally Posted by filthman View Post
    The Sony store won't get crap no matter what they say.

Allocation is done by Sony in the US for even Canada and it goes solely by which vendor has the best sales and volume. In Canada that would be in this order:

1. Best Buy
    2. Future Shop
    3. Walmart
    4. EB Games

Sony Store doesn't sell **** in terms of volume.
    Yea thats the thing, even though its Sony's own store, they dont do great in terms of sale...I hardly hear about them. But Best buy, Futureshop, Walmart, EB Games they sell TONS! like literally, I go to my local EB and its always packed. It just amazes me :P. It is a small store, but its always full of people. Which is going to make it even harder for me to get a PS3 if I were to pre-order or camp outside that mall lol.

Thanks UGRepellent, I will take all of those into consideration and start working on V.5 tomorrow. So if you have any new info on pre-orders, or whether stores will take them or not, or about store allocations, post here and I will update the list.

beast11
    Hey,
    Nice thread...but wen i went to my local EB games (erin mills town centre, mississauga) they said they would be lucky to get 8!...Also they said no preorders.. you wrote they would get 26-27...so im thinking the number of stores you wrote is wrong..

Super Elite

well, lets just say konice, that blockbuster people are as bullshytty as any other stores.
    I always called stores pretending that I'm stupid and don't know anything... so the first thing I ask is... "I am wondering about the PS3 Preorder, do you guys have it"
    And then I gradually go from "a guy I know preordered to I preordered". Pretty much, half of these guys are as useless as any other game retail employees.

Lets just say, whatever you hear from them when you are there "person to person" is the ACTUAL news and that it's better than what I've heard about. 5-6 machines should be no problem for us cause looking majinvegeta's distribution, each store should equally get bout 5-6.

But we DO know some stores are less popular, so that means GAME RUSH stores should get more. Especially in Toronto. Worse comes to worse, theres no machines available and pretty much, I hope ur prepared anyways to camp out a lil for security cause I am.

Btw majinvegeta, good job, only one comment. Does Loblaws actually sell consoles? lol, cause then if it happens, I've heard of No Frills carrying GameCube on release around Toronto. (if you wanna add that.)

Sony store will get about the same as any other "midrange stores" so around 5-10 machines should NOT be a problem.

beast11
    ok im back and 51 min later ive done some research. I realized that your numbers for eb stores are closer than wat i would have thought...anyeays...wat i did was i tried google the amount of eb stores in canada...nothing came up...i then went to eb games website and in there store locator...i chose a city in the middle of each province and counted the stores...Here were my results: ( note everything is rounded up just in case i missed some...)

Alberta - 30
    B.C. - 35
    Winnipeg - 10
    New Brunswick - 10
    Newfoundland - 5
    Nova Scotia - 8
    Ontario - 115
    Quebec - 45
    Saskatchewan - 10
    Total - 270

So this means more units per store ...YAY...

(YES...i do have a lot of time on my hands...lol)

Superior Member
    Well I'm going to say for business purposes, bigger cities, and probably more of southern Ontario is going to get most of the units. Thats just how its going to go most likely lol. I live in Hamilton, Ontario. Just south of Toronto... the armpit of Ontario, STEEL CITY! Haha. Anyways, enough of me going off topic.

Theres no doubt in my mind, that I won't get a PS3 launch day... My EBgames store, is hoping for 100 units. We have 3 in my city alone... that I know of. 2 are located in a mall... one beside The Mandarin. One of the malls its in is HUGE. They will have 100 units. Its always busy. I usually have to wait 10 minutes in a line before I buy a game. The sales are great there.

But I phoned them today and the manager said "We don't know how many units we're getting WE ARE ESTIMATING about 100 units. But Sony hasn't set up a pre-order date with us, and we don't know how many we're getting."

They added me to a list... ironically... no one has signed up for the list. So I'm first one on it.

So far... no good news on a pre-order. Hopefully they'll call soon.
    PSN: StrifeTribal
    XBox tag: Strife Tribal

Super Elite
    I heard from the boss at Bstbuy say that Canada will get about 15000 PS3's, so I would say the list is pretty good on the Futureshop and Bestbuy numbers.

majinvegeta
    Quote Originally Posted by Sino View Post
    I heard from the boss at Bstbuy say that Canada will get about 15000 PS3's, so I would say the list is pretty good on the Futureshop and Bestbuy numbers.
    Great, and thats definately going to help us. Because now were getting fairly accurate responses from stores. Soo since Futureshop and Best Buy are like the same store so thats how you say its accurate I guess .

I will add alot of more stuff when I get home from work, I will update that list of EB Stores thanks to a beast11 who went in and did more specific research than I did. Lol seriously I just made 300 up out of my head, it was completely random .

I will change it to 270 and see how that ends up. Again, the numbers I point out are if every store gets an EQUAL distribution. But that will not happen, some stores will get few, others will get lots. I mean who wants to ship 50 PS3's to a place that has very few sales right? its not worth it, so stores with very little sales will get few units.

And again, thats a list that would be alot harder to do. Theres alot of provinces all over Canada, and there are alot more cities, and trying to get accurate info on which city will get how many is wayyy too much work.

So I am leaving it like this, just use common sense. Places like Vancouver, Toronto are big, and these kind of cities will get alot of units. But what this list also tells us is that which stores will do pre-orders? if futureshop and best buy are going to get around 15k units, thats alot, and pre-ordering should be no issue. Its almost garuanteed they will do preorders with that many units. Same goes for Walmart, I have em for 10k units! and again, walmart stores that are more gaming concentrated will get more units than walmart stores that are poor sellers in terms of electronics or consoles.

I will for next update take UGRepellents suggestions into serious consideration and we will continue to update when we get info on pre-orders. Keep checking guys!!

beast11
    ok...i got exact number of stores for best buy as well...

B.C - 6
    Alberta - 7
    Saskatchewan - 1
    Manitoba - 2
    Ontario - 21
    Qeubec - 8
    Total - 45

There might be 46 cause i know a new one just opened in downtown toronto and i dont think it was listed on the site...

ill probably do future shop next if it is easy...

majinvegeta
    Quote Originally Posted by beast11 View Post
    ok...i got exact number of stores for best buy as well...

B.C - 6
    Alberta - 7
    Saskatchewan - 1
    Manitoba - 2
    Ontario - 21
    Qeubec - 8
    Total - 45

There might be 46 cause i know a new one just opened in downtown toronto and i dont think it was listed on the site...

ill probably do future shop next if it is easy...
    that would be awesome! 45 is so small , just means more ps3's per store

not that it makes a big difference, but there's also a new best buy opening in scarborough (eglinton & warden) shortly.... i dunno if that'll be before nov.17 though

but the new one at bay & dundas is included in ontario's 21, according to their website

beast11
    here you go...futureshop...

BC - 17
    Alberta - 6
    Saskatchewan - 3
    Manitoba - 2
    Ontario - 38
    Quebec - 19
    New Brunswick - 3
    Nova Scotia - 2
    PEI - 1
    New Foundland - 1
    Total - 92

ill might try some other stores...ill see which ones...

also ...isnt the new best buy on bloor??...im not sure...

Thread Information