Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I couldn't have asked for much more from the show except for maybe seeing Kaz there.
    But Kazunori Yamauchi was there. On video at least.

Okay, I know you likely meant Kaz Hirai, and I was fully expecting to see him and Jack to open the festivities. But that was most likely a cue to the limited revelations at the event, saving some for GDC and the good stuff for E3. Really looking forward to this one, and all the goodies to be shared to keep that hype train at speed and on track. And hopefully a glimpse of GT6 - well, more than a glimpse. Fingers are crossed for a release within a year of PS3 launch. Oops... I think my knuckles are cracking...

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    +Pretty much all of the new features seem very useful and aren't silly gimmicks pandering to casuals. Both core gamers and casual gamers will be interested for the most part.
    Well.................. sort of. I mean, you must be one of those phone gamers who can't get enough of Hissy Burds or something, and I do understand where SONY is coming from. A market is a market, and casuals spend money too, just a lot more randomly and stingily. What stunned me though is PS4's ability to stream to all these devices. Connectivity to anything and everything is simply amazing. I guess this is what you were getting at, so pardon the snarky wit at your expense.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Ew. I see your point. I blame the team responsible for this demo and not the PS4. There's no excuse for shiny plastic rocks. Lazy ass demo.
    That has been a consequence of the Unreal Engine since UE3, unless you were mindful of certain surface properties. I wondered back in 2006 and 07 when I kept seeing games like GEARS! that had objects all over the place that looked like airbrushed tinfoil, even stone. Then I noticed they all used UE3.

I actually thought their demo looked pretty good, as I was looking carefully for that airbrushed tinfoil look. As for what's to come in actual games, I wouldn't worry about it. If the hard-to-code PS3 can deliver games like Gran Turismo, Killzone and Uncharted, I have no doubts that almost everything on PS4 is going to be pure eye candy. Heck, KZ4 had me on the edge of my seat, especially for that rope hitchhike. Yikes! That's how you demo a game. David Cage's Quantic Dreams facial demo was stunning, can hardly wait for his next project. Also mad for Knack, as I'm a sucker for mascot games too, like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and (hint, ND) Jak & Daxter.

A little late for the survey, but oh well. What surprises me is how gamers in general are very happy with the reveal. Very little moaning about the AWOL console first look, and except for here, no qualms about any of the demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    PS4 will require proprietary HDDs. The 4GB HDD will cost €50.
    Jeepers... I hope that's $50 US. That sounds almost as bad as the XBox crud deals. I wonder if my 8GB thumb drive would work... hmm...
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony needs to make sure this guy speaks at every event...

I liked his enthusiasm and their game looks freaking gorgeous Maybe, like Sony, they are looking to shed the "Crapcom" image of the current gen. The guy was so likable, I really am cheering for it to be so.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I liked his enthusiasm and their game looks freaking gorgeous Maybe, like Sony, they are looking to shed the "Crapcom" image of the current gen. The guy was so likable, I really am cheering for it to be so.
    He was pretty hilarious. The audience didn't laugh at any of his jokes though. I would've laughed obnoxiously loud just to spite the audience... lol. Crowd was a bit stiff at the event.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I know.
    If I were Sony, I'd have stuck them with the hotel bill and the flight back to Japan. I better never see any of those two in real life or I will kick them in the balls. I wouldn't even make them wait til E3.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    To sum up:

-KILLZONE!!!

-INFAMOUS!!!

-KNACK!!!!!!!!!

-$#@! SQUARE-ENIX!!!

6. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    If I were Sony, I'd have stuck them with the hotel bill and the flight back to Japan. I better never see any of those two in real life or I will kick them in the balls. I wouldn't even make them wait til E3.
    PR... PREE.... PREEZ... PREEZ BE EXCITED FO EE TREE!

Yep, they deserve a gold ball kicking. They need to deliver at E3 or I'm done with them.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Lol that gaffe of theirs will exist in infamy for awhile on this forum.

PREASE SPARE ME

Ultimate Veteran
    I pretty much am done with them. Even though I am enjoying FFXI right now, I'm actually tempted to cancel my subscription because of how much they disgust me. I mean, that's some Grade A purified $#@!-up material there. I can't even be enthusiastic about a game I LIKE because I feel like the company that made it over ten years ago would just assume feed me a baby fetus than give me a game I want.. Then tell me to eat it raw.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by lefein View Post
    i pretty much am done with them. Even though i am enjoying ffxi right now, i'm actually tempted to cancel my subscription because of how much they disgust me. I mean, that's some grade a purified $#@!-up material there. I can't even be enthusiastic about a game i like because i feel like the company that made it over ten years ago would just assume feed me a baby fetus than give me a game i want.. Then tell me to eat it raw.
    pr..pr-prease be excited fo this fetus dish

sank you

11. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Master Poster
    Items User name style
    As an aside, Knack in his big form sort of looks like Ganondorf. That is random, and awesome.
    Last edited by RedOrb_Collector; 02-23-2013 at 22:20.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    pr..pr-prease be excited fo this fetus dish

sank you
    Seriously. I think they would spit in it if I asked them to go back to the kitchen and cook it. They are pioneers in the art of douchebaggery.
    Last edited by Lefein; 02-23-2013 at 22:23.

Elite Member
    I thought the ps4 has good line up of games. Killzone SF was running 30fps 1080p, so Im cool with that. Gran Turismo 6 will be a beast online. I was very impressed by the revealing, it was even on the news
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Green Michine View Post
    I thought the ps4 has good line up of games. Killzone SF was running 30fps 1080p, so Im cool with that. Gran Turismo 6 will be a beast online. I was very impressed by the revealing, it was even on the news
    Yeah, sure, some sequels like Killzone and GT are needed but personally, i want to see new stuff. It's a new generation, please fire it up with cool new games, with different and better game mechanics. I know this following example is not that good for a console but that doesn't matter, the idea matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhEYvOYceNs
    The concept for the game looks like so much fun! Yeah, an RTS, but the way they are doing is new and refreshing and i would love to see this approach done in other games. If this generation means just better textures and slightly better other graphical stuff but we still get to play "Call of Duty", then fu*k it

Forum Guru
    Err... gotta say it. "Another RT Startegy game? Really??"

What escaped you in the PS4 event? Did CAPCOM show off another Street Fighter game, or something new? Did Quantic Dreams have a sequel to Heavy Rain, or something new? Played anything like Knack recently, or Media Molecule's Dream demo?

You're really barking at the wrong company. You need to aim at Microsoft. SONY has been the home for original games since they squashed SEGA, the bastids. Meh, fond memories of the good ol' days...

By the way, kudos to anyone who gets my reference.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    Yeah, sure, some sequels like Killzone and GT are needed but personally, i want to see new stuff. It's a new generation, please fire it up with cool new games, with different and better game mechanics. I know this following example is not that good for a console but that doesn't matter, the idea matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhEYvOYceNs
    The concept for the game looks like so muc3h fun! Yeah, an RTS, but the way they are doing is new and refreshing and i would love to see this approach done in other games. If this generation means just better textures and slightly better other graphical stuff but we still get to play "Call of Duty", then fu*k it
    I am a huuuuuge call of duty fan, but I understand where your coming from and agree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
    What escaped you in the PS4 event? Did CAPCOM show off another Street Fighter game, or something new? Did Quantic Dreams have a sequel to Heavy Rain, or something new? Played anything like Knack recently, or Media Molecule's Dream demo?
    Killzone gameplay could easily be passed for a CoD clone gameplay wise. The little we've seen of Knack gameplay it looked pretty generic stuff (but yeah, it was very little so i'll be waiting to see more). Media Molecule's stuff can't really be called a game, at least not by me. Drive Club seems to have an interesting idea but we certainly need to see more of how the game will work.
    Watchdogs was the only really impressive game, from a gameplay perspective. If done right, it can be extremely fun, i'm sure.
    The rest of the stuff can't be commented on since they were either engine demonstrations or trailers with no sign of gameplay.

Did i miss something?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Well.................. sort of. I mean, you must be one of those phone gamers who can't get enough of Hissy Burds or something, and I do understand where SONY is coming from. A market is a market, and casuals spend money too, just a lot more randomly and stingily. What stunned me though is PS4's ability to stream to all these devices. Connectivity to anything and everything is simply amazing. I guess this is what you were getting at, so pardon the snarky wit at your expense.
    What? These are the features I'm referring to:

-Easily uploading video and screenshots
    -Live streaming yourself and allowing others to comment or take over
    -Playing while downloading a digital game
    -Streaming PS1/PS2/PS3 games (at some point)
    -A PlayStation app for phones/tablets
    -Remote play with Vita

I don't have to play casual mobile games to be excited for those features, and I don't play mobile games.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Killzone gameplay could easily be passed for a CoD clone gameplay wise. The little we've seen of Knack gameplay it looked pretty generic stuff (but yeah, it was very little so i'll be waiting to see more). Media Molecule's stuff can't really be called a game, at least not by me. Drive Club seems to have an interesting idea but we certainly need to see more of how the game will work.
    Watchdogs was the only really impressive game, from a gameplay perspective. If done right, it can be extremely fun, i'm sure.
    The rest of the stuff can't be commented on since they were either engine demonstrations or trailers with no sign of gameplay.

Did i miss something?
    Generic? What the heck does generic mean? There's nothing new under the sun for existing genres to begin with.

All that matters is that its well done. Knack certainly seems so. And I wouldn't say a main character in a platformer with transforming modules to fit various situations is something that's overly common.

Also, Call of Duty is a noob-fest arcadey shooter with very forgiving bullet physics and unrealistically weightless characters. Not to mention, its not exactly the most vibrant or sci-fi-esque looking of shooters. Killzone 4 looked anything but similar to COD in that presentation, it looked realistically heavy, and had a world far removed from our own.

Forum Guru
    ...Did i miss something?
    When you see nothing new in the PS4 event but Watch Dogs, but then make a post heralding yet another in a long list of real time strategy games as awesome newness, I'm not seeing a point.

What? These are the features I'm referring to:

(okay, okay boss, more smileys next time )
    Still, I think we're looking at the same coin from different sides, because SONY seems to be hyping the heck out of the whole casual thing. Maybe that's because of the press pushing that kind of thing themselves, but I'm sure that SONY has been thinking about this whole universe of Tetris-itis that has exploded in the portable world. Hissy Burds is just one example of what I see as a silly market to try and capture. There's no telling what the fickle casual buyer will flock to that doesn't have mad fowl involved until it happens, so more power to them and their partners. That sounds like your assessment also.

But as for all the connectivity potential, and play while downloading and all that, nothing but kudos from me too. I'm a very happy camper in SONY Land.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Still, I think we're looking at the same coin from different sides, because SONY seems to be hyping the heck out of the whole casual thing. Maybe that's because of the press pushing that kind of thing themselves, but I'm sure that SONY has been thinking about this whole universe of Tetris-itis that has exploded in the portable world. Hissy Burds is just one example of what I see as a silly market to try and capture. There's no telling what the fickle casual buyer will flock to that doesn't have mad fowl involved until it happens, so more power to them and their partners. That sounds like your assessment also.
    I just don't know which exact features you're referring that is giving you this impression. At no point did Sony talk about making casual 'Angry Birds' type games. The only thing the conference had to do with phone/tablets was the PlayStation app, that would allow you to access PSN and your PS4, which I think most core gamers would think is cool.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I was not impressed with the announcement. There was something that left me not wanting to buy it at launch. I wanted the George Foreman grill on my PS4...

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    surprised David Jaffe hasnt commented on the ps4 yet

Elite Guru
    You know the one thing that hasn't been mentioned with this machine is the potential for indie developers. This thing has the potential to be huge for them. Ps3 had the problem of them having to jump through hoops to get it up and running on Ps3's whacky hardware but now that is a thing of the past.

All the good points of PSN and how Sony deals with these smaller developers can finally be matched up to hardware of the same calibre. I love Ps3 and it's hardware but I was always amazed when a small team managed to get anything decent out of it.

Forum Guru
    I just don't know which exact features you're referring that is giving you this impression. At no point did Sony talk about making casual 'Angry Birds' type games.
    Hrm... I recall them saying they wanted to have SONY content on as many devices as possible, and encouraging their partners and indie developers to try all kinds of new things like tiny quick to play games, freeware games and all sorts of unusual things like that. That was my take on that, plus remarks from hither and yon over the past few years about them looking at the success of casual content like Angry Birds.

Maybe I'm confusing their remarks with some of the talking head journos, but I'm pretty sure that's a direction they have been intending to go. Which is... kind of everywhere, not just AAA graphic monsters and streaming GT6 to a smartphone, which would be a cool trick. Hey, if they don't I'm cool with that, I'd say leave that to the indies anyhow. I'd rather they focus on further developing the hardcore established franchises, and working with 2nd and 3rd parties to make more unique but intense experiences like Heavy Rain and Journey.

Thread Information