Latest PSU headlines:

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

Respect for the British PM

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister David Cameron says a giant diamond his country forced India to hand over in the colonial era that was set in a royal crown will not be returned.

Speaking on the third and final day of a visit to India aimed at drumming up trade and investment, Cameron ruled out handing back the 105-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond, now on display in the Tower of London. The diamond had been set in the crown of the current Queen Elizabeth's late mother.

One of the world's largest diamonds, some Indians - including independence leader Mahatma Gandhi's grandson - have demanded its return to atone for Britain's colonial past.

"I don't think that's the right approach," Cameron told reporters on Wednesday after becoming the first serving British prime minister to voice regret about one of the bloodiest episodes in colonial India, a massacre of unarmed civilians in the city of Amritsar in 1919.

"It is the same question with the Elgin Marbles," he said, referring to the classical Greek marble sculptures that Athens has long demanded be given back.

"The right answer is for the British Museum and other cultural institutions to do exactly what they do, which is to link up with other institutions around the world to make sure that the things which we have and look after so well are properly shared with people around the world.

"I certainly don't believe in 'returnism', as it were. I don't think that's sensible."

Britain's then colonial governor-general of India arranged for the huge diamond to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1850.

If Kate Middleton, the wife of Prince William, who is second in line to the throne, eventually becomes queen consort she will don the crown holding the diamond on official occasions.

When Elizabeth II made a state visit to India to mark the 50th anniversary of India's independence from Britain in 1997, many Indians demanded the return of the diamond.

Cameron is keen to tap into India's economic rise, but says he is anxious to focus on the present and future rather than "reach back" into the past.

Reuters
    David Cameron finally shows he has some semblance of a spinal cord.

it annoys me when people bring up past events with no relevance to today's world whatsoever. stone was lost by your ancestors, big deal, their problem. not yours. move on or find a sensible way of getting what was lost returned, its importance isn't as big as future economic stability. i would've walked out, demanding sits no where with me.

anyway, British PM seems to have more spine overseas than he does back home in the UK.
    when i was there last, Labour where having at him.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its a piece of crystalised carbon.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its a piece of crystalised carbon.
    1. The diamond wasn't lost, it was taken.

2. Before the British came India was the richest nation on earth. After the British left they are one of the poorest. I think that is very relevant to the condition of their country today.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    India isnt poor as a nation its in the top 10 richest countries and climbing. The reason the PM was in India is because there is a lot of trading to be done.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    blood diamonds and evil people, go hand in hand for the way things go
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    1. The diamond wasn't lost, it was taken.

2. Before the British came India was the richest nation on earth. After the British left they are one of the poorest. I think that is very relevant to the condition of their country today.
    It also split into another country due to the conflicts between muslims and hindus (one of the reasons why Britain didn't want to leave because of possible civil war), which is why we have Pakistan today.

There are plenty of countries which have treasure's belonging to others, I think it's a bit late now it's been set into a crown

Thread Information