Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427

Dualshock 4 Controller Size

I was having a hard time getting my head around the controller size so I did a bit of photoshoping.

I used scaled it such that both the Analog stick heads and the Top to Bottom of the Circle, Square, ... buttons are of the same size, and I put one to the side and below for references.

DS3_vs_DS4.jpg

I personally never had a problem with my hands on the DS3, but many people complained. I have fairly large hands FWIW. The size of the grips would appear to be much larger and longer.

EDIT: Click the image for a larger version.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 02-21-2013 at 18:01.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The grips are a little bigger... and a little grippier, and it's a little heavier. I think it looks great. :]
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Elite Member
    look pretty good, there's lot going around though saying it isnt the actual finished product of that controller.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I love the new controller. Looks very comfortable and just sexy

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    look pretty good, there's lot going around though saying it isnt the actual finished product of that controller.
    That's true enough, but I don't expect a Boomerang situation, in which it was such a radical departure that many people were asking WTF Sony was thinking. Instead, I think they listened to the Ergonomic complaints than some had, and the Trigger complaints and incorporated those in the design upfront. And I don't expect a lot of complaints, other than those who want an Asymmetric analog stick layout (I'm not in the group.)

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    That's true enough, but I don't expect a Boomerang situation, in which it was such a radical departure that many people were asking WTF Sony was thinking. Instead, I think they listened to the Ergonomic complaints than some had, and the Trigger complaints and incorporated those in the design upfront. And I don't expect a lot of complaints, other than those who want an Asymmetric analog stick layout (I'm not in the group.)
    I like referring that controller concept as the banana. There were so many things wrong with that design. -.-
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    I like how the R1 and L1 aren't elevated as much as they were on the DS3.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The prototype scared me at first, but seeing the cleaned up more close to production model I feel much better. I was fine with the size of the old controller, but I don't think the size of the new one is going to bother me much, and I am still curious on the upgraded rumble that they talked about...what kind of upgraded rumble does it have...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AshSteHol
    Items User name style
    I thought it was similar to the DS3 on first look but after seeing them side-by-side, they are quite different.

I don't like it.
    KING OF POP
    1958 - 2009

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by ash91 View Post
    I thought it was similar to the DS3 on first look but after seeing them side-by-side, they are quite different.

I don't like it.
    Don't knock it until you have tried it! I am hoping they don't mess it up either, but I think the new changes will be welcomed when we get our hands on it!

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    I've never had a problem with the DS either and I have large hands. But this makes no massive changes to the layout or anything so I don't mind and I'm in favour of the grippy handles big time. Slightly wider too which if anything will improve it for me.

The move sensor and loudspeaker though are unnecessary guff.

Forum Sage

Notice the trigger buttons are a bit different. I can't tell if they're concave or convex. I hope they made them a little concave because I don't like my fingers slipping off like they did with the DS3. Actually, the trigger buttons were the only gripe I had with the DS3 aside from it being a tad bit too small. Regardless, I like the design changes.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Notice the trigger buttons are a bit different. I can't tell if they're concave or convex. I hope they made them a little concave because I don't like my fingers slipping off like they did with the DS3. Actually, the trigger buttons were the only gripe I had with the DS3 aside from it being a tad bit too small. Regardless, I like the design changes.
    They're slightly concave yes. They also narrow to a bit of a point, which I'm not sure about...

I know people complained a lot about the DS3 triggers but I never had any issues with them, even in driving games where you use them constantly.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    They fixed the triggers from what I can tell, no more days of slippy triggers! They also made the analog sticks slightly concave as well, which is also a nice welcome!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    The prototype scared me at first, but seeing the cleaned up more close to production model I feel much better. I was fine with the size of the old controller, but I don't think the size of the new one is going to bother me much, and I am still curious on the upgraded rumble that they talked about...what kind of upgraded rumble does it have...
    There was talk back before the DS3 came out about using much more complex PCM control on the vibration motors to produce variations in feel. I can only assume that's the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The move sensor and loudspeaker though are unnecessary guff.
    I like the loud speak. I hate it when in game and someone starts talking through my front speakers in a muffled voice. Putting it down on the controller is better IMHO (not sure that, this is what it's doing, but would prefer something like that when not wearing a headset.)

The light bar I think will be much more than you expect. One of the things mentioned was multiplayer shooters w/o tradition split screen. What if when you do need to split off, it uses the color light to determine where that person is in the room, and shifts that display portion over for that person. Also, Sony filed a patent application that other day that had 3D sound orientation based on ones location in the room. This would make sense to be able to track people and provide different audio to their 3D headset over the controller. Not saying that's what's planned, but it would make sense to me.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The controller looks comfortable. I like it.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    They fixed the triggers from what I can tell, no more days of slippy triggers! They also made the analog sticks slightly concave as well, which is also a nice welcome!
    Yeah, I like the new convex trigger shape and the concave w/ convex center Analog stick. Should give good grip along the edge when you're really putting force on it around, but also allow you to roll it around if you're just on top of the center. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Veteran
    I like the loud speak. I hate it when in game and someone starts talking through my front speakers in a muffled voice. Putting it down on the controller is better IMHO (not sure that, this is what it's doing, but would prefer something like that when not wearing a headset.)
    Screaming kids from the tv/room speakers.... screaming kids from your controller.... it's a toss up lol. I don't see any point in it other than a gimmick.

Think how lame the Wiimote loudspeaker is, a small speaker like that is going to be invariably tinny, irritating and borderline useless.

Regarding the light bar, well, we shall see. At least it doesn't look like the prototype did

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    There was talk back before the DS3 came out about using much more complex PCM control on the vibration motors to produce variations in feel. I can only assume that's the upgrade.

The light bar I think will be much more than you expect. One of the things mentioned was multiplayer shooters w/o tradition split screen. What if when you do need to split off, it uses the color light to determine where that person is in the room, and shifts that display portion over for that person. Also, Sony filed a patent application that other day that had 3D sound orientation based on ones location in the room. This would make sense to be able to track people and provide different audio to their 3D headset over the controller. Not saying that's what's planned, but it would make sense to me.
    I know Immersion had new Touchsense technology when the DS3 came out, but I don't know if it was ever officially put into the controller.

We all won't know till will actually hold it in our hands, but from the looks of it I think it looks absolutely perfect. They made it bigger and spread the analog sticks apart just a tad bit. The only thing that looks a little funky is the touch pad and share button.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Screaming kids from the tv/room speakers.... screaming kids from your controller.... it's a toss up lol. I don't see any point in it other than a gimmick.

Think how lame the Wiimote loudspeaker is, a small speaker like that is going to be invariably tinny, irritating and borderline useless.

Regarding the light bar, well, we shall see. At least it doesn't look like the prototype did
    I'd say it would be nice if they had a mute button on the controller. Personally, I use an old BT Headset as a Mute mechanism when I don't want to hear it. Just turn it on and set it to the side. I'm sure I can also rig up a switch on the controller if I wanted to temporarily disable the speaker.

I'm also guessing this can be controllable (whether you want them blasting out your Speakers or your controller.) Not a difficult thing for Sony to implement.

Forum Sage

They're slightly concave yes. They also narrow to a bit of a point, which I'm not sure about...

I know people complained a lot about the DS3 triggers but I never had any issues with them, even in driving games where you use them constantly.
    That's great. I like the concave triggers better because of the extra grip I'll have. I know I was one of those that didn't much care for the convex triggers of the DS3. I have to say, I'm impressed with Sony's new controller design and that's saying a lot coming from me, a person not easily impressed.

I just noticed the analog sticks. I'm liking this controller more and more. Excellent job on Sony's part.

PSN ID
    Glaedr-Oromis
    It looks cool. Hopefully it won't be too hard using one hand. I doubt it though, and it won't stop me anyway. Bring it on.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I didn't like the look of the controller at first but it's growing on me, it definitely looks pretty comfortable

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I $#@!in love it. Couldn`t be happier with the new pad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Thread Information