Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 89

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,673
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

    Many game developers were unaware of the PS4's RAM increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Foundry
    It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.
    Source: Eurogamer/DF

    Naughty Dog lead Engine and Graphics Programmer:



    John Carmack
    I can’t speak freely about PS4, but now that some specs have been made public, I can say that Sony made wise engineering choices.
    Randy Pitchford
    Thanks for the great event in NY @playstation - Very pleased with the commitment to 8gb of GDDR5 memory. Other specs are beautiful too!
    Tiago Sousa [R&D Principal Graphics Programmer at Crytek. Worked on Far Cry, Crysis 1, 2 and 3 + all CryENGINE iterations]
    8 GB unified mem as baseline for next tech iterations makes me very, very happy. Fun times coming ^_^
    Stefan Boberg (Frostbite Technical Director)
    "Dev-friendly platforms FTW"
    Johan Andersson
    Rendering Architect at DICE working on Frostbite and future DICE/EA games
    lots of memory is essential for both the CPU & GPU to create large & alive game worlds

    If Killzone was running with 4gb gddr5. Well $#@!. Great move by Sony providing they can shift the hardware come release. Developers seem very, very happy with this.
    Epic co founder seemed very happy on Game Trailer's after show

    *slow clap*

  2. #2
    Master Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,712
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    18,479 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Sony Rick Roll'd Devs. Devs were unaware of there being 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in the PS4.

    The official specs are in for the PlayStation 4 and what we have is, by and large, confirmation of existing DigitalFoundry stories - with one outstanding, exciting exception. At the PlayStation Meeting yesterday, Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported. It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...-playstation-4
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-21-2013 at 19:36.


  3. #3
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Imagine what Killzone will look like after this news. Wow.

  4. #4
    Elite Sage
    Thorzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,773
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    52,595 (713 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Imagine what Killzone will look like after this news. Wow.
    They probably knew this already, but I'm sure this move will make more and more devs speak about PS4. Hell, more ram means devs can push a lot of things into the machine at the same time without having to worry much about limitations. Bring on the games!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

  5. #5
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Imagine what Killzone will look like after this news. Wow.
    Imagine what games will look like a year after PS4 has been out. . This is only the beginning

  6. #6
    Forum Guru
    Tetsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    84
    Posts
    3,827
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    13,338 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Imagine what games will look like a year after PS4 has been out. . This is only the beginning
    I wonder how many people have thought of that. It was in my mind from way back, remembering how good early trailers of pre-release PS3 games looked, compared to third and fourth generation games like Metal Gear Solid, Killzone and the Uncharted games. And remember all the scoffing over the Killzone 2 trailer? Boy, were they ever right wrong.

    And as supposedly difficult as the PS3 was to program, it didn't take a suitcase full of money and a Hollywood graphics studio to create GT5. Sure, a lot of work, and Polyphony Digital squeezed about as much horsepower out of the PS3 as they could. And came up a little short, resulting in occasional screen tearing and slowdown, and shoddy particle effects causing jaggies. At night, only a few cars had headlights casting light. But still, GT5 is one of the best looking racers out there, with unmatched replays and physics arguably competitive with a PC sim. Just take a sports car on street tires around a curvy track like the Indianapolis Infield and be ready to smile.

    Now, imagine GT5 with none of the issues and limitations. People freaked out when they saw 16 cars on track at once. How many could the PS4 render and throw around a track realistically? 24? 32? Who knows, but the potential is there for multiclass racing, a real Course Maker, an Event Maker, (nearly) universal Race Modification, a Livery Editor - finally! - and who knows what else is in store for offline as well as online racing? Is weather that matches the actual conditions at the racetrack out of the question? Not anymore.

    In a Battlefield or Killzone game online, how many players could participate? If a demo running on the GPU can generate a million objects with physics and lighting properties attached, what does that say for destructible assets in a war game like those? And as said before, that 8GB of fast ram means huge playfields filled with objects brought to life with physical and A.I. properties. We should start seeing games with clouds generated by the PS4, not pixelmapped backgrounds.

    All this could be possible in the first generation, and as one developer said, the only limits this time will be their imaginations, and skills as programmers. This is gonna be one seriously sweet launch.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

  7. #7
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    8,042
    Rep Power
    114
    Points
    44,725 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
    I wonder how many people have thought of that. It was in my mind from way back, remembering how good early trailers of pre-release PS3 games looked, compared to third and fourth generation games like Metal Gear Solid, Killzone and the Uncharted games. And remember all the scoffing over the Killzone 2 trailer? Boy, were they ever right wrong.

    And as supposedly difficult as the PS3 was to program, it didn't take a suitcase full of money and a Hollywood graphics studio to create GT5. Sure, a lot of work, and Polyphony Digital squeezed about as much horsepower out of the PS3 as they could. And came up a little short, resulting in occasional screen tearing and slowdown, and shoddy particle effects causing jaggies. At night, only a few cars had headlights casting light. But still, GT5 is one of the best looking racers out there, with unmatched replays and physics arguably competitive with a PC sim. Just take a sports car on street tires around a curvy track like the Indianapolis Infield and be ready to smile.

    Now, imagine GT5 with none of the issues and limitations. People freaked out when they saw 16 cars on track at once. How many could the PS4 render and throw around a track realistically? 24? 32? Who knows, but the potential is there for multiclass racing, a real Course Maker, an Event Maker, (nearly) universal Race Modification, a Livery Editor - finally! - and who knows what else is in store for offline as well as online racing? Is weather that matches the actual conditions at the racetrack out of the question? Not anymore.

    In a Battlefield or Killzone game online, how many players could participate? If a demo running on the GPU can generate a million objects with physics and lighting properties attached, what does that say for destructible assets in a war game like those? And as said before, that 8GB of fast ram means huge playfields filled with objects brought to life with physical and A.I. properties. We should start seeing games with clouds generated by the PS4, not pixelmapped backgrounds.

    All this could be possible in the first generation, and as one developer said, the only limits this time will be their imaginations, and skills as programmers. This is gonna be one seriously sweet launch.
    lol wut?

    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/05/gr...on-to-develop/

    5 years, $60 million. Pretty sure that qualifies.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    sosovoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    339 (0 Banked)
    If Devs are happy then everyone from Sony to the gamer is happy with the PS4.

  9. #9
    Master Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,712
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    18,479 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I definitely can't wait to see engines optimized to take full advantage of these specs.


  10. #10
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,932
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    6,813,331 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm so keen to watch Sony continue its legacy of gaming excellence. It was awesome when epic said that the U4 demo was a love letter to console makers and Sony answered. The dude was so happy with what Sony had shown. I can see 3rd party falling madly in love with Sony now that it has an easy to program behemoth.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    sosovoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    339 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    Imagine what games will look like a year after PS4 has been out. . This is only the beginning
    Lmao I read that quickly but read this instead

    Imagine what "Gamers"....


    I thought damn we Gunna be some big mofoes lol

  12. #12
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,822
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    23,928 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sosovoo View Post
    Lmao I read that quickly but read this instead

    Imagine what "Gamers"....


    I thought damn we Gunna be some big mofoes lol
    That too!!

  13. #13
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,673
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Can a mod merge with my fallen thread please?

    http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...s-RAM-increase

    Preferably with T4DM's thread title

  14. #14
    Master Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,712
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    18,479 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ah crap. My bad, Nitey.


  15. #15
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    23,057
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    112,232 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Trolling Level: Sony

  16. #16
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,122
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    19,458 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Merged with Nitey's thread.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  17. #17
    Power Member
    Dave-The-Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,149
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    38,713 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Now the question is will these developers be equally as happy with Microsoft's new architecture whatever that will look like?
    Trophy-licious!


    3DS: 3754-7606-9595

  18. #18
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    4,727 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Now the question is will these developers be equally as happy with Microsoft's new architecture whatever that will look like?
    That's a good question. What made me turn my head in awe was the Activision/Blizzard & Sony partnership and with other developers being excited about the PS4 also. Which makes me question what is going on, on the otherside.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

  19. #19
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    That's a good question. What made me turn my head in awe was the Activision/Blizzard & Sony partnership and with other developers being excited about the PS4 also. Which makes me question what is going on, on the otherside.
    The "other side" is nailing down season 2 of The Lebrons as an exclusive. lol

  20. #20
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,071
    Rep Power
    149
    Points
    94,486 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    The "other side" is nailing down season 2 of The Lebrons as an exclusive. lol
    You just went there.




    Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

  21. #21
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,932
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    6,813,331 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    The "other side" is nailing down season 2 of The Lebrons as an exclusive. lol
    #gamechanger

  22. #22
    Forum Sage
    Aquanox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,023
    Rep Power
    88
    Points
    6,086 (0 Banked)
    Wisest choice made.

    "Last minute changes"?

    Can't help wondering if it has anything to do with the Xbox 720 leaks, going towards the same direction.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you


  23. #23
    Power Member
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    146
    Points
    111,037 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    Wisest choice made.

    "Last minute changes"?

    Can't help wondering if it has anything to do with the Xbox 720 leaks, going towards the same direction.
    WTF you're back?


  24. #24
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,976
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    155,775 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    I was expecting only 4GB of GDDR5 with possible high hopes of them throwing in an additional 4GB of DDR3 making it 4GB GDDR5 and 4GB DDR3 totaling 8GB, but I never imagined they would throw down like they did and make it have 8GB of GDDR5! I am glad they did this, it is going to make for some truly amazing gaming in the near future! I am still wondering if GTA V was pushed back because of the PS4/Next Xbox, guess we will find out at E3!

    -=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

  25. #25
    Master Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,712
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    18,479 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony is probably thinking long term and has a plan for stacked ram


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.