Latest PSU headlines:

Thread: How is it?

I'm a hater, a traito.

How is it?

Is it worth the download? I know I sound stingy, but I'm halfway through the month and I don't want to download 2.6gb if it's not that great.
    What's the game comparable to? And is it playable solo or must I join a clan to get the benefit of it?
    Is everything obtainable through playing the game or a you kinda forced to buy stuff?
    What would you give it out of 10?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    Is it worth the download?

In my humble opinion, yes. It's in open beta now but there will be no skill resets so now's the time to jump on board. This is a true beta though,not a typical demo beta like most games offer; CCP is taking all the feedback given by the community and tweaking the game accordingly.

What's the game comparable to?

It's not really comparable to much! It's an FPSRPGMMO that has been grafted to a PC spaceship RPG MMO. I guess its comparable to BF3, as you have ground and air vehicles at your disposal and its an FPS, but thats about it. It works with an economy where you have to buy your mercs gear and has a bat$#@! crazy development system and has the potential to be the greatest sci-fi IP ever created!

And is it playable solo or must I join a clan to get the benefit of it?

I played solo for ages, but PSU has its own official corp, so you can fight for your news site of choice.

Is everything obtainable through playing the game or a you kinda forced to buy stuff?

What you buy with AUR (PSN bought currency) basically allows you to use gear earlier without having to train for it, but all AUR items have comparable ISK (in game currency) items. There is no super weapon or god armor that will give anyone an unfair advantage. It's a primary focus of CCP to make sure DUST 514 isn't pay to win.

What would you give it out of 10?

Personally, a solid 8...but wait for a bit more feedback!

3. Likes Beardy, irish-sid likes this post
    I'm a hater, a traito.
    Cheers for the informative answer. Looking forward to giving it a go now.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    Cheers for the informative answer. Looking forward to giving it a go now.
    there's a big update in April what you're playing is strictly beta. CCP reckon the April build will be akin to receiving a new game

if the beta build isn't floating your boat, check back in April
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Saint Paul Park, Minnesota, United States
    PSN ID
    Dantology65
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    there's a big update in April what you're playing is strictly beta. CCP reckon the April build will be akin to receiving a new game

if the beta build isn't floating your boat, check back in April
    Thanks so much for this info. I played the closed beta for a few weeks awhile back and just....well, couldn't take some of the lag issues and such. Come April I shall check back for details on the latest and greatest build.

I have the situational awareness of a newborn. I see boobs everywhere.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    It might be time to check this out. I haven't been MP gaming for about a year now. Looking to check out Planetside 2 on PC as well.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

8. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantology View Post
    Thanks so much for this info. I played the closed beta for a few weeks awhile back and just....well, couldn't take some of the lag issues and such. Come April I shall check back for details on the latest and greatest build.
    Download the game, make a character and leave it. You may aswell amass passive skill points. You'd have about 1,500,000 for not even playing come April.

PSN ID
    ZarKry7
    You should give the open beta a try. its really fun.

11. Likes Ghost likes this post

PSN ID
    matt1y77
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakryn7 View Post
    You should give the open beta a try. its really fun.
    Is it, I downloaded it a while ago, and I gotta say I'm quite disappointed TBH. The graphics are quite poor almost ps2 quality, the game-play, although OK is nothing special and as for the maps, they are far too big with hardly any players. My main online shooter is KIllzone 3 (which comes in for some flak itself) and its far more fun.
    For dust 514 to become a must play game it has to compete with the big two online FPS games and as yet it seems far from that quality.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky742 View Post
    Is it, I downloaded it a while ago, and I gotta say I'm quite disappointed TBH. The graphics are quite poor almost ps2 quality, the game-play, although OK is nothing special and as for the maps, they are far too big with hardly any players. My main online shooter is KIllzone 3 (which comes in for some flak itself) and its far more fun.
    For dust 514 to become a must play game it has to compete with the big two online FPS games and as yet it seems far from that quality.
    it is fun, very fun!

join up with our corp and squad up with our players. you'll win more matches, kill more people and have fun doing it
    at first i was turned away by it all, but most people don't understand that you must create your own merc from scratch. as such, you will suck from the get go - this game wont hold your hand like those other shooters you listed
    take me, recently i've foregone gaining the absolute best weapons and armor tiers in favour of diversifying my merc. i've been focusing on speeding up my hacking skills as well as being able to provide limited logistical support via drop uplinks. why? its is of better tactical advantage to the corp that i have more than a singular role
    and therein lies why the game is better imo, this is no cardboard shooting game, you have a role to play and you must work to fill it

i've been playing for months and only now do i like where my merc is at
    i have a solid base to grow in future
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    matt1y77
    This is my issue with the game, if it aint fun for new players within an hour or two, most player`s will turn off and play a game more enjoyable in the short term. If you have to run for 5 minutes to get to a battle then get shot and have to do it all over again, it gets very frustrating very quickly. (bit like mag really) I understand that it is a beta and not a finished game, however for a FPS this is not good for the average player who just want a 30 minute run and gun game. COD and Battlefield cater to this crowd and look how successful these games are. I did enjoy some of my time playing Dust 514, but with the maps being so big its like you are running around on a fugly deserted planet. I will try it again after the April update, but for now its back to Killzone for me!

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Updator
    I must admit that I found it rather boring the first couple of times I played it but the third time I gave it a go something clicked and I really enjoy it now.

PSN ID
    DuBoi187
    This is my issue with the game...
    We all know the feeling of being a new player and and spending 5 mins of every match running towards an objective just to die along the way. Here is the thing about this game : You must use different tactics !

Try calling in a vehicle to take you to an objective or where ever it is that you want to go. Try spawning some wheres else too. If your doing something that keeps getting you killed, try something else.

Play more, learn the maps, you will soon learn where to go, what to do, where you will be shot at from. It just takes time, I too almost gave up on the game after getting k/d ratios of 4/22 lol, and look at me now, at one time I was ranked in the top 200 on the kill board, and now I have almost 9,000 kills and 750,000 war points !

17. Likes Updator likes this post

PSN ID
    matt1y77
    "i've been playing for months and only now do i like where my merc is at
    i have a solid base to grow in future"

So it took a couple of months for the game to become fun and playable for you? Do you see what I am getting at? Most average games players don't want to spend this long on a game before it becomes good to play. I have a lot of patients when playing as I've been player computer games for over 25 years, but this is excessive.

I hope you don`t think I`m just being negative for the sake of it, I do see potential for Dust to be a very good game, and if they do hook up to the EVE online game it would be a great technical achievement. The last time I played it tho, the maps were empty and even with a vehicle it take too long to find someone to shoot at. Finally, am I the only person who finds that women`s voice sooo annoying?

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    "i've been playing for months and only now do i like where my merc is at
    i have a solid base to grow in future"

So it took a couple of months for the game to become fun and playable for you? Do you see what I am getting at? Most average games players don't want to spend this long on a game before it becomes good to play. I have a lot of patients when playing as I've been player computer games for over 25 years, but this is excessive.

I hope you don`t think I`m just being negative for the sake of it, I do see potential for Dust to be a very good game, and if they do hook up to the EVE online game it would be a great technical achievement. The last time I played it tho, the maps were empty and even with a vehicle it take too long to find someone to shoot at. Finally, am I the only person who finds that women`s voice sooo annoying?
    i'll clarify by saying that quote could also be applied to skyrim
    i wanted a kick ass mage who could decimate any and everything but i had to wait months to get that even o.O yet skyrim is THE most excessible of all TES games
    the MOST important thing with what i said was simply that, "I". I wanted a role that wasn't just about shooting other things, i wanted a role that did 3 of 4 different things and i've done that, its just that its taken months to do so

others might only want a kick ass assault class, or a kick ass sniper in which case they'll be middle of the table within a few weeks (or days if they're anygood)

it is an RPG, you work for what you get. this is no COD (and thank goodness for it)

about the voice, i brought it up in the HQ how i dind't find her particularly effective either
    EDI from mass effect would be amazing!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    For me, the difference between other games and DUST 514 (in terms of time investment and reward) is the difference between buying a beautifully made vase and making your own on a pottery wheel. It's something you craft yourself, overtime. Part of the satisfaction of DUST for me is in the long term molding of a character. When I am a $#@!ing badass full on maxed out logistics merc who can pilot the best ship and have the best fittings, then I have something that wasn't bought or unlocked in an easy manner, it's something that can't be created by someone else in a matter of days or weeks. That's one of the beauty of DUST 514 for me.

PSN ID
    Darksec
    I wouldn't bother mate at least not at the moment.
    5/10 max id say.
    The 5 is for the depth which in some cases puts people off (usually cod lovers). I love customization and MMO elements as an avid Eve player i get most of this and understand how it works in general.
    The flaw unfortunately is the game itself (for now). Visually its not great and the controls are even worse which can take some getting used to. There are also still many bugs to iron out here though I would point out its in beta at the moment and is set to be for some time still. There is talk that there maybe a move/continuation onto PS4 so would still be around by all accounts if you do get into it as some have.
    This is but one opinion but would point out i was buzzing that this was coming and i have been known to give CCP big praise in the past but with this im no so sure i shud

PSN ID
    DuBoi187
    This game is great ! I love it ! If your reading this and have not played it yet, GET IT !!

23. Likes Oposum likes this post
    PSN ID
    DEADMUDD
    Go check out the new trailer for battle for Caldari Prim
    and see for your self, and see what a great game it is.

Thread Information