Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage

Forza vs. Gran Turismo (Aka. "Fake Effects")

Terribly old but people keep bringing it up every time I post anything.

I think this is where I can explain what exactly I meant back then when I posted this:

This is an ancient war which I personally belive Forza won by a long shot in the past generation. 3 iterations of their game, endless customizations and online options, etc. However, it all started in the Xbox - PS2 generation and there was 1 substantial difference between them, a difference that was misunderstood and demonized by many many users.

What effects were exacly fake in Gran Turismo?

Well... lighting and reflections.

How?

They didn't accurately reflect the environment objects and lightings. It somehow skipped some of them to improve performance and look great but by cutting some corners in terms of realism. In other words, not all effects were accurate, or real time. Forza on the other hand, while not looking as spectacular, was way more accurate in their effects.

Does it matter?

Not really. The original Xbox was significantly more powerful than the PS2 but Polyphony was Smart enough to make a racer look as good (if not better) than Forza on Xbox for the untrained eye.

Proof?

Code:
    http://youtu.be/8mXl7Seiiso?t=3m1s
    Future?

It seems that both consoles power and architectures will be more similar than ever before. The fact that AMD is making both consoles (Ps4 and Xbox 720) CPus and GPUs is intriguing. They both seem to have 8GB or unified RAM (First introduced by the Xbox 360 by the way) and it seems than now, more than ever, expertise (and not hardware) will be the defining factor for these two fantastic next-gen racers.

Thank you!
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Forum Elder
    Forza is the better game and also looks better. Forza on Nextbox should take it to a whole new level.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I removed one post already. If you guys do not want to participate in this discussion, stay out!
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-23-2013 at 20:48.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    i prefer the fake effects on the right

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The lighting and car models in GT5 are leagues better than Forza and in higher resolution as well.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Here's my contribution:

Gran Turismo 4

Forza

Gran Turismo 4

Forza

Gran Turismo 4

Forza

I don't doubt that the original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 but that doesn't necessarily mean the games were more pleasing to the eye. Doom 3, for example, looked ugly, despite boasting some real-time shadows.
    Last edited by Black; 02-23-2013 at 21:08.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Wow. That last GT4 shot makes the original Forza look pathetic in comparison.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yup I've always maintained that GT4 was a technical marvel. I would take a HD uport of it lol. The perfect sim racer on consoles

Re: GT5 vs Forza 4 I feel that GT5 has more realistic lighting, it just looks more natural. Forza, whilst being a very pretty game, looks more contrasty, the car models look a bit plasticy to me as well. But hey, anything beats those 'standard' cars in GT5

Nice for the Gran Turismo games to have decent competition on the console scene though, so it's all good

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The GFX of GT5 whilst inconsistent didnt bother me one bit. Most of the iconic cars were standard low res verions and I always use the FPS/bumper cam (although its not on the bumper) so never actually saw the car I as drivng.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-24-2013 at 01:21.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Forza is the better game and also looks better. Forza on Nextbox should take it to a whole new level.
    Well i guess it depends on PD whether they can finish the game before being told to release it, Forza 4 was better than GT5 but GT5 was not a finished game...Another couple of years finishing the game GT5 would of been better.

For some reason PD just cannot do sounds though, I think out of all the PC sims and sims on console's GT games always come out the worse, PD need to put some money into the sound department for PS4.
    Last edited by Flaw3d Genius; 02-24-2013 at 00:10.

Ancient
    Bloody hell they all coming out the wood work
    Anyway, GT maintains its realism in & out of gameplay
    Forza....goes from looking good but not as realistic as GT to kinda Arcady in gameplay ( if thats the right word) imo

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Well i guess it depends on PD whether they can finish the game before being told to release it, Forza 4 was better than GT5 but GT5 was not a finished game...Another couple of years finishing the game of GT5 would of been better.

For some reason PD just cannot do sounds though, I think out of all the PC sims and sims on console's GT games always come out the worse, PD need to put some money into the sound department for PS4.
    Yes the engines sound synthesized and in Honda's you cannot hear the VTEC kick in.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Bloody hell they all coming out the wood work
    Anyway, GT maintains its realism in & out of gameplay
    Forza....goes from looking good but not as realistic as GT to kinda Arcady in gameplay ( if thats the right word) imo

Sent via Codec
    Lets be honest both games are Simcade, Neither is a sim or arcade title.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    @ those pics.

I guess Forza should have been using fake lights too lmao.

16. Likes YoungMullah88 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Premium card models of GT5 might better than Forza's but if you're going to spend a whole generation doing ONE game and focusing on ONE feature (I don't see GT5 outperforming Forza in anything else) then hell you better outclass your competition in at least that one aspect. Problem is, it doesn't apply to all cars, many look downright hideous in Gt5 and making only 1 game in the whole gen is downright unacceptable to me.

You can post all the pics you want but in this particular case, Forza fans have had million of miles of more fun than GT in this gen. I really hope Sony makes Polyphony put their sh*t together next gen and we see a finished, polished GT6 in 2014 at most instead of releasing their car models pics until 2017 or something.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 02-24-2013 at 14:52.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    You can post all the pics you want but in this particular case, Forza fans have had million of miles of more fun than GT in this gen. I really hope Sony makes Polyphony put their sh*t together next gen and we see a finished, polished GT6 in 2014 at most instead of releasing their car models pics until 2017 or something.

-

Anyway. I agree with the let's hope Sony pushes Polyphony into shape. I think it's a pretty small studio (especially compared to Turn10). GT is a phenomenon and can shift hardware units like no other Sony IP so it's in the best interest of PlayStation to get one out for PS4 sharpish. So with that said let's hope that rumour GT6 is a PS3 title is false : DDDD

Forum Sage
    Well.. both have 70+ millions of consoles out there... damn they will need to feed them with something.

I would hate if this happens... thinking about it, we might no entirely jump into the next gen until old consoles are deceased.

Flaw3d Genius
    Premium card models of GT5 might better than Forza's but if you're going to spend a whole generation doing ONE game and focusing on ONE feature (I don't see GT5 outperforming Forza in anything else) then hell you better outclass your competition in at least that one aspect. Problem is, it doesn't apply to all cars, many look downright hideous in Gt5 and making only 1 game in the whole gen is downright unacceptable to me.

The problem GT6 & Forza 5 have is...

Project Cars
    GTR3
    iRacing
    Assetto Corsa
    Rfactor 2

Personally i think both console racers will struggle against these forthcoming games.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Wow. That last GT4 shot makes the original Forza look pathetic in comparison.
    Almost looks...fake...with effects...

Seriously though I don't see how anyone can truly say one game is 'head and shoulders "better" than the other. They're both sims with their own strengths. These two are too close to call - heck, are even in my eyes - to put down/mock the other.

FOR ME the superior/more fun game type is a game like Horizon, NFS MW, and Shift.

This is why I'm hoping Evolution Studios' next title is more like the latter games and less the like the former ones (still keeping some elements of them though).

Driveclub looks to be more promising than both of these. I love racing games of all kinds. Thankfully the market isn't to overcrowded with then like they are with fps.
    Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

PSU Technical Advisor
    This sure didn't take long.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Robardian View Post
    Driveclub looks to be more promising than both of these. I love racing games of all kinds. Thankfully the market isn't to overcrowded with then like they are with fps.
    Have we even seen any Driveclub gameplay? Yet your saying it looks more promising than 2 very well established Simcade racers?

Im hoping Driveclub is amazing but with it coming from the Motorstorm devs...im worried!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    Have we even seen any Driveclub gameplay? Yet your saying it looks more promising than 2 very well established Simcade racers?

Im hoping Driveclub is amazing but with it coming from the Motorstorm devs...im worried!
    Yeah I know I'm getting ahead of myself there but just from what they showed it looks like they are pouring a lot of detail into the cars themselves just like we see with GT and Forza.

Extreme Poster
    One feature? LOL. What about the superior physics of the car touted by everyone in the industry? That's the most important thing in a racing sim.

And then will you buy a GT game finally? I can't wait!

Thread Information