Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    The reason it would revolution PC desktop is know one as of right now needs to buy an intel or a Nvidia. AMD right now has all the answers for a PC build. So I might as well buy an APU and try to find a motherboard that supports GDDR5 and that way the APU's GPU can use whatever it wants. So I could stick 16GB of GDDR5 in my computer while an APU can take 8GB of GDDR5 for it's GPU. That is exaclty what I'm reading and yes that would revolutionize how PC's are being built.

What in the hell are you saying?! They can do these things with a PS4 because it is a CLOSED SYSTEM. Developers for PS4 are given control of these things because every single PS4 has exactly the same hardware. This cannot be done on a PC because every PC is different. So yes, it may be revolutionary in terms of PC, but not on console.

I've been understanding what you are saying but the reasoning you just gave is just silly. So, people wouldn't want a more capable CPU+GPU which would be much much cheaper but more powerful because they like to upgrade.
    NO GOD DAMN IT! The God damn amount of RAM does NOT give a GPU more power. The amount of SHADERS does! The amount of COMPUTE units does! The amount of CUDA cores does! The frequencies at which these shaders work! The PS4 has 18 Compute Units, so pretty much somewhere between a 7850 and a 7870. You can add one trillion gigabytes of gddr100 ram onto it, it would STILL be at the same performance as a 7850/7870!

Seriously, are you trolling us? (Careful there, calling anyone a troll will earn you an infraction....) - Lethal
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-22-2013 at 21:37.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    PS. whatever RAM is used in that GPU is going to stay in that GPU. The GPU isn't going to fluctuate between 2GB GDDR5 to 3GB of GDDR5. The GDDR RAM in the PS4 can be split any way between other things, games, cpu end, but not the GPU like you were stating. The GPU I believe has it's own thing even though it's an APU. Otherwise, like I said this will revolutionize PC gaming as a whole and there is really no point in buying a separate GPU, you might as well just buy APU's.
    Not to be rude but I don't think you quite know what you are talking about here.

There isn't RAM being used within the GPU. That isn't how it works. Not with PS4 and not on PC's either. PC's have video cards which house both the GPU and the GDDR5 RAM.

The GPU in the PS4 does not have "it's own thing". It's going to be using the 8GB of unified RAM. In fact it will be by far the biggest user of that RAM, as the PS4 is clearly a GPU driven system.

Your last sentence is just misguided, this can work because the PS4 is a closed system, a console environment. The same way as the 360 last gen. The parts are by and large PC parts yes, but it's still a console.

Apprentice
    bah, $#@! it.

Also, I stated in other threads that I don't understand this stuff but I have been reading about it. I do game on the PC a lot, I know of the technology of a PC and I'm a bit more familiar with it. but when it comes to consoles I just have no clue. i mean, to be honest Killzone should be able to run in 1080P @ 60FPS in this case.

actually, it should be able to run at 1920 x 1200 60fps since this APU is obviously a beast
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 02-22-2013 at 21:35.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Lets not get carried away here guys. Be sure you use facts and sources if you need to prove your point.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

and that's what I don't understand, how is that freakin possible.
    Because that is how Sony designed it! Xbox360 used memory the same way, that is why it was so flexible because the developers could choose my much RAM to use a where. A lot of laptops use the same concept, except their RAM allocations are locked to a certain amount of RAM, thus my Netbook will always take 256MB of the system RAM for itself (leaving the CPU to only 3.75GB), it can't be adjusted, but with the consoles, they allow the developer to adjust the amounts making it more flexible.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Lets not get carried away here guys. Be sure you use facts and sources if you need to prove your point.
    I have been trying to but I've been getting spanked left and right
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Veteran
    The Nvidia GTX Titan has 6GB of GDDR5, consisting of twenty four 2gb GDDR5 chips. That is 12 on each side as can be seen in this photo:

If the GPU in the photo can be visualized as the Jaguar APU, that is going to mean the PS4 will have to have 8 more memory chips. That is a lot of real estate. Even if 8GB of slower clock GDDR5 costs around $200, then that leaves the cost of the APU, the MMU, the hard drive, the faster (more capacity?) blu-ray, a stereo camera peripheral, new controller, included headset for under $499? Even if it is a slower clocked GDDR5, Sony needs to have a supplier of 64-bit GDDR5, possibly 4gb to reduce the chip count to 16.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Don't worry, you will be sitting there one day and have an 'oh $#@!' moment and everything will make sense! Consoles are a little confusing when you first get into the details on them, I am still learning myself, but after reading everything over the years the whole Unified Memory thing makes sense to me now! I don't think anyone is accusing you of being a Xbox fanboy, they are just trying to help you understand how it all works!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post
    NO GOD DAMN IT! The God damn amount of RAM does NOT give a GPU more power. The amount of SHADERS does! The amount of COMPUTE units does! The amount of CUDA cores does! The frequencies at which these shaders work! The PS4 has 18 Compute Units, so pretty much somewhere between a 7850 and a 7870. You can add one trillion gigabytes of gddr100 ram onto it, it would STILL be at the same performance as a 7850/7870!

Seriously, are you trolling us? (Careful there, calling anyone a troll will earn you an infraction....) - Lethal
    The simplest way I can try to say this is through a metaphor. If you put a Honda Civic engine into a Lamborghini body, it's not gonna go 200MPH. At the end of the day it's still a Civic.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    The Nvidia GTX Titan has 6GB of GDDR5, consisting of twenty four 2gb GDDR5 chips. That is 12 on each side as can be seen in this photo:

If the GPU in the photo can be visualized as the Jaguar APU, that is going to mean the PS4 will have to have 8 more memory chips. That is a lot of real estate. Even if 8GB of slower clock GDDR5 costs around $200, then that leaves the cost of the APU, the MMU, the hard drive, the faster (more capacity?) blu-ray, a stereo camera peripheral, new controller, included headset for under $499? Even if it is a slower clocked GDDR5, Sony needs to have a supplier of 64-bit GDDR5, possibly 4gb to reduce the chip count to 16.
    Maybe it has 3D memory stacking?
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 02-22-2013 at 21:55.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    With the PS4 being like a fixed high end PC with all the features precoded Carmack is probably wetting himself right now.

Windows 8 is such a mess, I think even PC gamers might convert to the PS4.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Or just stick with Windows 7 lol. Like they stuck with XP instead of switching to Vista.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    From slide #10, talked about 2.5D stacking.

http://www.i-micronews.com/upload/Ra...ample_2012.pdf

I believe this is mostly directed at me, sorry for being an ass. Hopefully you at least made an idea of why it is as it is.

16. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Forum Sage
    With the PS4 being like a fixed high end PC with all the features precoded Carmack is probably wetting himself right now.

You know you are delusional when you think PC gamers will switch to consoles.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Why not? Play games while they download, stream gameplay, cross game chat. Everything a PC gamer loves in one.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Why are you here?
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

20. Likes Admartian , Nitey likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Why not? Play games while they download, stream gameplay, cross game chat. Everything a PC gamer loves in one.
    2 reasons:

#1 They are graphics $#@!s.

#2 They much prefer KBM to a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Why are you here?
    Why is anyone here?

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Why is anyone here?
    That is deep. :P
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    2 reasons:

#1 They are graphics $#@!s.

Why is anyone here?
    I use to do heavy PC gaming before the PS3 and that was probably the hardest adjustment for me on FPS games, going from KBM to a controller! Now I am almost as good with a controller as I was with a KBM!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Forum Guru
    PC gamers haven't switched over in the past because they consider consoles to be kiddy toys they can't tweak, and their games so much more mature. Oh well on them.

One more log to throw on this cost argument. Graphics cards aren't sold at a loss. And as MonkeyClaw said, graphic card makers can charge whatever they want. They make a profit on the weaker cards, then swim in the cash on the higher end models which, aside from commodity ram pricing, cost slightly more to make with perhaps marginal performance increase in real game terms. One guy who had a half blind girlfriend needed a superfast card because her one good eye had improved its sensitivity so much, she saw flicker below 120hz. But most guys spend $100 more on a card which renders at 150hz at max settings purely for bragging rights.

One more thing: why is r ake a bad word? Me baffled...
    Last edited by Tetsu; 02-23-2013 at 08:46.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Boom! Case in point.

Also, modding and/or screwing with code.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Why are you here?
    It's called Tall Poppy Syndrome mon ami.

Isnt it time for an original doom remake?

Thread Information