Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There have been some great responses so far guys. I don't have time to read all the information right now. I wish I did but have somewhere to be. I updated the OP with all responses and questions that have been contributed. If I missed anything let me know and I will add it up there. This thread took off better than I expected and I want to thank all you guys for all the information and questions. Please keep them coming. If it isn't too much to ask is there anyway a mod can sticky this thread for future reference and updates? Thanks

Also I may be limited with internet this weekend so don't fret if I don't get your questions or answers posted right away. They will for sure be added Sunday evening when I return back to my apartment.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 02-22-2013 at 19:39.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Thanks for your answers Ixion and Shepard

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

PSU Technical Advisor
    Well, get this. The UE4 demo I showed you guys? And the other games being demo'd?

Yea well.. According to some known devs at B3D that stuff was all done on the old devkits... With basically 1.5GB of usable memory.

Specifically regarding the UE4 tech, that was done rushed and unoptimized. A poster called "MikeR" said thus:

"Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link."

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=63140&page=4
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 02-24-2013 at 06:29.

4. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Well, get this. The UE4 demo I showed you guys? And the other games being demo'd?

Yea well.. According to some known devs at B3D that stuff was all done on the old devkits... With basically 1.5GB of usable memory.

Specifically regarding the UE4 tech, that was done rushed and unoptimized. A poster called "MikeR" said thus:

"Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link."
    That's good news. :P
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    there is no link, I am the link.
    If I ever became an employee at a game company, I would make that my username on the forums I go to.

I AM THE LINK

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If I ever became an employee at a game company, I would make that my username on the forums I go to.

I AM THE LINK
    Yeah... lol.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome

Dayum! Only 27-29% of resources?! Holy schnikes!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Sony should ` under promise, and over deliver`.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal

Whoa, if that's true then awesome.

I felt a little underwhelmed when I saw the comparsons to UE4 running on GTX680 but from every corner we are hearing how great the architecture and hardware is inside the PS4, including Epic's own Mark Rein. This makes me happy

PSU Technical Advisor
    Edit: I was wrong.

Not mark rein.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 02-24-2013 at 18:14.

Elite Guru
    Mark Rein was on Gametrailer's after show. Seemed really happy with the hardware

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Mark Rein was on Gametrailer's after show. Seemed really happy with the hardware
    Yeah he sounded like a kid with a new toy. All the devs sounded off the same. I don't think I've ever seen so much widespread joy from devs about a console. The gt post show showed how happy they are.

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Tech heads, is GDDR5 the next gen's cell? Some member seems to think it is. I'm sure it's way out of bounds.
    N.F.G

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah he sounded like a kid with a new toy. All the devs sounded off the same. I don't think I've ever seen so much widespread joy from devs about a console. The gt post show showed how happy they are.
    Is there a clip of this online somewhere I can watch?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Tech heads, is GDDR5 the next gen's cell? Some member seems to think it is. I'm sure it's way out of bounds.
    I think because a lot of developers have really come out and backed Sony on it's architecture and picking 8gb gddr5 the other side of the fence believe it's just a fad and is being overhyped as something that promises big but won't deliver in a gaming sense. Something that people believe Cell was guilty of

Anyway I'm glad it's 8gb of gddr5 and not 4 lol

17. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Is there a clip of this online somewhere I can watch?
    I'll see if I can find it.

Apprentice

GDDR5 is just reasonably cheap and fast memory. It's nothing new, since graphics cards have used it for years. It's a first for consoles, though. The point of having high-bandwidth memory like this is mainly to keep the GPU fed with data. GDDR5 in itself probably has little to no benefit for the CPU (DDR3 would likely be sufficient), but having it shared with the GPU could prove beneficial.

So, the memory in itself is just an enabler. Without fast hardware at the other end (i.e. CPU/GPU) it's not going to do any good.

20. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Not really.
    Cell was powerful, but needed a lot of attention and work to get decent results.
    A lot of GDDR5 enables coders to get results easier as they do not need to shuffle data around as much.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

22. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    GDDR5 is just reasonably cheap and fast memory. It's nothing new, since graphics cards have used it for years. It's a first for consoles, though. The point of having high-bandwidth memory like this is mainly to keep the GPU fed with data. GDDR5 in itself probably has little to no benefit for the CPU (DDR3 would likely be sufficient), but having it shared with the GPU could prove beneficial.
    To be fair DDR3 would probably be a little better for CPU efficiency but I'm not worried about Jaguar on GDDR5, it looks to be more than capable of working it's way around any memory latency issues.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Ok got to get the OP updated. Sorry for the delay.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So from what I understand, the PS3 actually had a higher peak performance than the PS4 in terms of FLOPS. Is that true?

Administrator
    So from what I understand, the PS3 actually had a higher peak performance than the PS4 in terms of FLOPS. Is that true?
    No, it doesn't. The original FLOPS claim by Sony for the PS3 was largely inflated.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yep, I think it real world performance the PS3 produced about 300-400 GigaFLOPS, I don't know the exact number though.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    The CELL has a higher peak performance than this CPU from AMD, but not the system as a whole no. CELL really is a great bit of engineering, it was just too complicated and I suppose they couldn't make it more user friendly, or else I'm sure it would be back for PS4. The PS3 could have been so much more if the CELL wasn't relegated to babysitting the RSX 90% of the time.

The more you look at the PS4 specs and think about what Mark Cerny said, it's apparent that the CPU will probably be nothing more than the doorman and the Radeon chip will be everything, including handling usual CPU tasks.

Elite Guru
    Yeah Cell has twice the single precision floating point performance but this is a single metric to compare the performance of the CPU on. Cell can still out do the best x86 chips in certain situations, but these are rare and shrinking every day.

Jaguar is much more suitable for it's situation, now that the CPU isn't hand holding the GPU it doesn't need so much floating point performance and as such is a much more balanced and reasonable CPU as a whole.

Thread Information