Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    My interview with Tretton....

ME: So Mr. Tretton.... explain how Sony went from a 5:1 sales ratio over the Xbox platform last gen to only 1:1 at the END of this current generation?

Tretton: Well you see... the Xbox 360 launched much earlier then the PS3 and at a much lower price.

Me:
    Well the Sega Dreamcast launched much earlier then the PS2 and at a much lower price and yet that didn't stop the PS2 from going on to sell at a 15:1 ratio over the Dreamcast. Can you explain that?

Tretton: Well.. um...er...

Me: And the Dreamcast even had the biggest 24-hours in entertainment history at the time. But once the PS2 was announced, Dreamcast sales started to slow down. Once the PS2 was actually released, Dreamcast sales plummeted and PS2 was on it's way to world domination. Care to explain that?

Tretton: Well you see... the PS2 was the better value. It was more money, but you got the newest disc format called DVD and the PS2 had more memory and was more powerful overall then the Dreamcast. People were willing to wait longer and pay more to get the better console. Plus.... Sony has a very large and loyal PlayStation fanbase thanks to our PS1 console. It was only natural they would move on in great numbers over to the PS2.

Me: Well the PS3 had the newest disc format called Blu-Ray and was more powerful overall then the Xbox 360... and yet sales of the 360 didn't slow down nor plummeted once the PS3 launched. How do you explain that?

Tretton: ummmmmm..... well... you see....

Me: And do you care to explain why that very large and loyal PlayStation fanbase you talk about didn't naturally move on in great numbers over to the PS3?

Tretton: Well as I explained before....... the Xbox 360 launched much earlier then the PS3 and at a much lower price.

Me: Yes..... but the Dreamcast did also and yet it still lost out big time to the PS2.

Tretton: ummmm.... I see your point... but you have to understand...

Me: Well what I do understand is that Sony blew a 5:1 sales ratio lead last gen over Xbox.....only to be at a 1:1 sales ratio in the last year of the current gen. If that fanbase was so loyal.... why did they leave in droves? You don't lose a big lead like that unless alot of your fanbase is going elsewhere.....right?

Tretton: ummm... well with mobile gaming and smartphones, you expect to lose a few here and there to other platforms.

Me: Yes... but both Nintendo and Microsoft were in the same environment and yet their console bases increased significantly instead of dropping significantly...... how do you explain that?

Tretton: errr.......hmmmmmm...

Me: Explain why the Xbox and Xbox 360 platforms had higher average software attach rates in both gens then either of Sony's consoles?

Tretton: Are you gonna ask me any easy questions?

Me: Nope. Thank you for taking out your very valuable time to speak with me!

Tretton: Ummm...you're welcome....I guess?.....Ahhhh.... What just happened?

Me: Have a nice day Mr. Tretton!
    Link or are you full of $#@!ing $#@!?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

I'm starting to think you put up that mock interview only to cause a stir. There really wasn't a need to do that.

Superior Member
    My interview with Tretton....
    Well damn... lol

There's really no openings in that one, none that I can see. Apparently I'm not alone.

Good show ol chap. lol

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Lol. Sony's brand lost it's name but MS completely gears their system off an accessory that is many core gamers don't want over the last few years. All sunshine and rainbows in the MS world apparently. Sony created the Cell which I assume you are referring to as arrogant yet they are losing their name for trying to be ambitious and try something new. Sony is now trying to make up for that by making an easier to develop for system. Therefore making their support go up from devs in turn more games.

KInect was a success and I commend MS for trying something new that worked well. But it's an accessory not the whole console. Why treat it like such and turn off many of your core gamers. Sounds like trading loyal customers for flavor of the month customers.

Wii sold well yes. Price was considerably lower and its goal was to aim to be a family friendly console. It was just that and didn't change. But look at WiiU now, where are those loyal buyers now that the price is higher. Motion controls were mostly a fad. MS's intrigued many Move did not mostly because Sony didn't do a good job discerning it's motion controls from the Wii. But do you think basing your main focus on a peripheral that could lose momentum any day now when consumers become bored is a good idea?
    Actually when I said Sony was arrogant, I was not referring to the Cell chip. But now that you mention it, they were arrogant in going with it. Devs complained at how complicated and hard the Emotion Engine was to program compared to the PS1's MIPS CPU. So how did Sony respond? Here you go... an even MORE complicated and hard to program CPU called Cell. So much for listening to it's devs. Ambitious and new are good things to shoot for, but not when your devs are saying no no NO. They have to make the games on it and you would be ill advised not to listen to them. Now with the PS4 they have FINALLY listened. That's a huge step in the right direction.

What i was referring to was Sony arrogant attitude over the last 30+ years. Their products were good, but in most cases NOT worth the extra money Sony wanted to rape us with. The XBR in their televisions stands for eXtended Bit Rate. In the Sony television forums, for years XBR has long been comically referred to mean Xtra Bucks Required because they charge soooo much for them. It's like designer jeans... slap the prestige label on it and charge an arm and a leg for it. Sony arrogantly would overcharge for most of their products and acted like a prima donna.

During the PS3 gen time period, the roosters have come home to roost. People left the Playstation brand and a lot of their other brands for the competition. This has humbled them a lot. Now they seem to be doing away with a lot of that arrogance, bringing prices down, listening to devs and stopping with the idiotic arrogant statements of the past. Stuff like this will save their company in the end.

As for Microsoft? They didn't completely gear their system towards the casual, it's in ADDITION to. The first few years of the system concentrated on the core gamers. Now they are focusing on the next group to bring in... the casuals. Now Kinect will come with EVERY 720 console. That means devs can count on it being there.

Nobody complained about Sony including the PS EYE with every PS4. PS EYE was a flavor of the month item on the PS2 and again on the PS3. Not a lot of software support nor did it get a lot of use until the Move came out. Yet Sony stuck with it, improved it....and now is including it with every console. Customers may get bored with it depending on how it's used... but like 911 emergency... it's there when you need or want it. the console will still have gamepads.

Apprentice
    put some examples of how they were arrogant over the last 30+ years. arrogance over 30+ years? I'm old enough to know that in the 90's at least I didn't see any arrogance unless your talking about Sony and their walkmens of the 80's and maybe their alarm clocks of the 90's.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    put some examples of how they were arrogant over the last 30+ years. arrogance over 30+ years? I'm old enough to know that in the 90's at least I didn't see any arrogance unless your talking about Sony and their walkmens of the 80's and maybe their alarm clocks of the 90's.
    Did you not just answer your own question?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Actually when I said Sony was arrogant, I was not referring to the Cell chip. But now that you mention it, they were arrogant in going with it. Devs complained at how complicated and hard the Emotion Engine was to program compared to the PS1's MIPS CPU. So how did Sony respond? Here you go... an even MORE complicated and hard to program CPU called Cell. So much for listening to it's devs. Ambitious and new are good things to shoot for, but not when your devs are saying no no NO. They have to make the games on it and you would be ill advised not to listen to them. Now with the PS4 they have FINALLY listened. That's a huge step in the right direction.

What i was referring to was Sony arrogant attitude over the last 30+ years. Their products were good, but in most cases NOT worth the extra money Sony wanted to rape us with. The XBR in their televisions stands for eXtended Bit Rate. In the Sony television forums, for years XBR has long been comically referred to mean Xtra Bucks Required because they charge soooo much for them. It's like designer jeans... slap the prestige label on it and charge an arm and a leg for it. Sony arrogantly would overcharge for most of their products and acted like a prima donna.

During the PS3 gen time period, the roosters have come home to roost. People left the Playstation brand and a lot of their other brands for the competition. This has humbled them a lot. Now they seem to be doing away with a lot of that arrogance, bringing prices down, listening to devs and stopping with the idiotic arrogant statements of the past. Stuff like this will save their company in the end.

As for Microsoft? They didn't completely gear their system towards the casual, it's in ADDITION to. The first few years of the system concentrated on the core gamers. Now they are focusing on the next group to bring in... the casuals. Now Kinect will come with EVERY 720 console. That means devs can count on it being there.

Nobody complained about Sony including the PS EYE with every PS4. PS EYE was a flavor of the month item on the PS2 and again on the PS3. Not a lot of software support nor did it get a lot of use until the Move came out. Yet Sony stuck with it, improved it....and now is including it with every console. Customers may get bored with it depending on how it's used... but like 911 emergency... it's there when you need or want it. the console will still have gamepads.
    Preach somewhere else

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    Their products in general. They have long been arrogant like their stuff was made of gold and charged accordingly. I've watched their press conferences and CES presentations for years. Only in the last couple years have I seen their arrogant attitude diminish greatly. In fact..... I'd be hard pressed to remember their last idiotic comment. That means it's been awhile. That's a very good thing. They've got a new attitude and I'm actually a little excited about Sony now.

The only other Sony product I must have is their HD video cameras. Their biggest competition in the pro-sumer HD camera market is Canon. Canon are my favorite film cameras, but I'm not as sweet on their video cameras. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I like the sharpness and colors of Sony's camera sensors over Canon's. There are a lot that agree with me, but it's personal preferences in the end.

To Two4DaMoney.......

Dude you just had me rolling on the floor when you uttered the words... "Link".

I thought it was sooooooooo obvious and I even said in my other posts it was a MOCK interview. But your knee jerk response was funny. I'm kinda glad you didn't read the whole thread first.

The Sony guy would have been at a loss of words had I questioned him like that.... but he would NOT have been at THAT much of a loss of words. He's got more PR spin experience then that. He would have come up with something more then that. I kinda exaggerated his very short responses for effect.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Keep fighting the good fight bud

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

10. Likes Two4DaMoney , MartyRules, PS4freak likes this post
    There still wasn't really any point in doing that mock view. And its not really arrogance if Sony keeps making pricey products and people still keep buying them. Most of there products are pretty quality anyhow.

Sent from my HTC-PG762 using Tapatalk 2

There still wasn't really any point in doing that mock view. And its not really arrogance if Sony keeps making pricey products and people still keep buying them. Most of there products are pretty quality anyhow.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robardian View Post

The point was to simply decimate the long cited belief that the PS3 is in it's current sales position because the 360 launched earlier and at a cheaper price. A lot of people said the 360 ought to enjoy it's lead cuz once PS3 came out, it was game over for 360. Didn't happen. Then they said PS3 would surpass it once "blank" game came out. Game after game that was supposed to do it never happened. So the old fall back excuse was.... earlier launch.... cheaper price. So I addressed that long held belief.

As for some in the thread that were surprised Sony finally caught up all these years later? Wasn't a shock to me. Even though Sony lost a lot of it's console base, they still had a solid reputation on delivering at least some great games. Even a lot of 360 fans picked one up at it's NOW cheaper price as a 2nd console to enjoy some of Sony's gems.

On the subject of Sony? With few exceptions, they are pretty quality products. But their competition like Samsung and LG have caught up and even surpassed them in many areas. People no longer were convinced their higher price was truly worth it, And well...... their market share in many fields is gone as a result.

Just because they still managed to sell stuff despite them being arrogant doesn't mean they were any less arrogant. There are platinum selling musicians that are very arrogant and yet still sell records despite that. Their sales don't wipe away that fact.
    Last edited by GreatSpaceKoaster; 03-25-2013 at 02:15.

Thread Information