Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Tretton talks MS: We've sold the same if not more - we're all about the gamers

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    With everyone gearing up for the next big console war, tensions are rising between Microsoft and Sony.

AllthingsD asked Sony Computer Entertainment America’s President and CEO Jack Tretton about the Xbox 360′s lead in the US, and its multimedia focus. His reply, viewable below, seems like a perfect response to previous comments by Microsoft’s Yusuf Mehdi, who said that the PlayStation 3 “isn’t as good of an entertainment console” as the 360 something apparently “everybody knows.” Tretton mentioned how the PS3 has caught up with the 360 in sales (worldwide) despite its launch problems, the fact that the PS3 is the most popular Netflix device and that Sony’s focus is gaming:

We look at the market in worldwide terms, and every market is extremely important to us. The facts are, we debuted the PlayStation 3 at $599, which was an extremely steep price barrier for a lot of consumers. And we debuted a year after Microsoft, but on a worldwide basis, we’ve sold the same, if not more, devices. I think we’re at 77 million sold right now — it’s basically splitting hairs. Despite all that, our message has been extremely well-received around the world.

Plus, if you look at multimedia services, we’re the No. 1 streaming device when it comes to Netflix, not Xbox. They’re trying to — I don’t really know what they’re trying to do. I’d rather not comment on their strategy. But we’re trying to say we’re all about the gamers and, by the way, there’s multimedia out there. I think the people who tuned in to see this live streaming event, from all around the world, were watching to see the gaming.
    It’s Tretton’s comments on Sony’s strategy going forward that is most interesting. Microsoft has repeatedly hyped up the multimedia functions of the 360, and how it is the ultimate entertainment device, with many feeling this focus came at the detriment of core gaming. One of the key engineers in charge of Microsoft’s original Xbox development team, Nat Brown, recently attacked the company as he feels that their core product has been abandoned:

My gripe, my head-smack, is not that the broader content/entertainment business isn’t where you want to go with a living-room-connected device. It absolutely is. Indeed, this was the point of xBox, that was why it was the Trojan horse for the living room, where we could land and be welcomed by millions of console customers with more hardware and better software and network connectivity than the non-console devices (webtv, cable set-tob-boxes) we had been pursuing. No, more and better content was always the point and the plan. My gripe is that, as usual, Microsoft has jumped its own shark and is out stomping through the weeds planning and talking about far-flung future strategies in interactive television and original programming partnerships with big dying media companies when their core product, their home town is on fire, their soldiers, their developers, are tired and deserting, and their supply-lines are broken.
    When the PS3 launched, Sony suffered similar problems when trying to advertise the device. They wanted people to see it as a “Computer Entertainment Device” that could do anything, but quickly realized that the lack of focus was more confusing and off-putting than beneficial. Equally, whenever Sony spends too much time showing off new apps in conferences, the complaints are immediate.

The strategy of “all about the gamers and, by the way, there’s multimedia out there” does seem like the most promising one for gamers, although Sony will certainly have to put their money where their mouth is and continue to announce a bunch of exclusive games.

The person that leaked many of the PS4 details that were confirmed yesterday also said that the PS4 would have less RAM dedicated to OS and multimedia applications, while the 720 will have far more. What do you think? Do you want an all-round-awesome-box or a console that put games first and foremost?
    Gloves are off! I agree with Nat's analysis...I know there are a few who will dispute this, but I'm afraid its the general consensus across the industry.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Well, there you have it. The people working in house aren't even happy with the direct MS is taking. Looks like the round is gonna be juicy

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    But we’re trying to say we’re all about the gamers and, by the way, there’s multimedia out there.
    Bingo!

That's exactly what Sony did at the conference. All the new OS are just the icing on the cake. And I love that direction.

It's the way MS used to be in and I can't help but feel that they have the Kinect gleem in their eyes more than ever and it's due to Nintendo's WiiU failing to capture the casuals that skyrocketed the Wii's sales.

It's crazy how the sales have caught up too.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Bingo! That's exactly what Sony did at the conference. All the new OS are just the icing on the cake. And I love that direction. It's the way MS used to be in and I can't help but feel that they have the Kinect gleem in their eyes more than ever and it's due to Nintendo's WiiU failing to capture the casuals that skyrocketed the Wii's sales. It's crazy how the sales have caught up too.
    This. I like how Sony puts games as the focal point and the multimedia stuff is as you said "icing on the cake." And yep it is crazy how the sales have caught up.

PSN ID
    shingi70
    Eh I'd rather have a box aimed at everything instead if just games a. Time will tell but I think this is going to be the last generation that a box only aimed at games will sell well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Eh I'd rather have a box aimed at everything instead if just games a. Time will tell but I think this is going to be the last generation that a box only aimed at games will sell well.

Smh.

And that's me kicking you.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 02-22-2013 at 12:43.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post

PS4 will do everything...AFTER it has nailed the games. There's nothing wrong with being a living room hub unless you are a gaming enthusiast who cares more about playing than watching.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Things that "do everything" lose my interest, more often then not a dedicated machine is better then the "Swiss army knife" machine. The only thing my PS3 does besides games is netflix, and thats all I need.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Apprentice

Awesome. He said something similar in a forbes article yesterday. He basically said that streaming services are great and all, but it's all about the games. It's all about the games for me, so I love hearing this. Heck, most early adopters of the PS4 are getting it for the games.

If Microsoft wants to focus on being more of a media device/ad device (that causes your console to freeze) on their next console than a gaming device, have at it. It's the reason 360 has sucked lately and why I haven't even touched mine in a while.
    Last edited by PSTrey; 02-22-2013 at 21:36.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTrey View Post
    Awesome. He said something similar in a forbes article yesterday. He basically said that streaming services are great and all, but it's all about the games. It's all about the games for me, so I love hearing this. Heck, most early adopters of the PS4 are getting it for the games. If Microsoft wants to focus on being more of a media device and ad device on their next console than a gaming device, have at it. It's the reason 360 has sucked lately and why I haven't even touched mine in a while.
    I agree. My gold expires on March 3rd and then I'm done. The only thing I've used my 360 for as of late was to watch the Sony event stream via the IGN app.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Damn taking shots already. I love the interviews that come out of generation beginnings. There are so many great points that are brought up. There are many that say they like the new direction that MS taking.. i honestly don't know why. I know it's still very early but this new focus by MS is nothing to be excited by as a gamer imo. There is a clear focus on being the all-around system and not the system with additional perks like the PS4 is shown to be. Infinity/720 is going a completely new route compared to what the 360 stated at. PS3 to PS4 seems to be adding on to the initial focus.

Regardless of how people look at the Sales portion i think it says wonders how the PS3 gained so much ground after a year gap. Not to mention somewhat flak due to price tag. I think the whole psn and Rrod fiascos counteract each other. To be around 2 million(i think) behind after all that its says wonders to how much ground they have gained throughout this generation.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Damn taking shots already. I love the interviews that come out of generation beginnings. There are so many great points that are brought up. There are many that say they like the new direction that MS taking.. i honestly don't know why. I know it's still very early but this new focus by MS is nothing to be excited by as a gamer imo. There is a clear focus on being the all-around system and not the system with additional perks like the PS4 is shown to be. Infinity/720 is going a completely new route compared to what the 360 stated at. PS3 to PS4 seems to be adding on to the initial focus. Regardless of how people look at the Sales portion i think it says wonders how the PS3 gained so much ground after a year gap. Not to mention somewhat flak due to price tag. I think the whole psn and Rrod fiascos counteract each other. To be around 2 million(i think) behind after all that its says wonders to how much ground they have gained throughout this generation.
    Tretton seems to think PS3 has caught up in sales.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Tretton seems to think PS3 has caught up in sales.
    Lol. I know my estimates are off but it is a common know fact that the PS3 is still behind in sales. His numbers are off but he does bring up some good points. He must be going of those shipped plus sold numbers.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Lol. I know my estimates are off but it is a common know fact that the PS3 is still behind in sales. His numbers are off but he does bring up some good points. He must be going of those shipped plus sold numbers.
    lol Yeah propably.

Power Member
    Both sides talk some epic crap

The 360 a more complete entertainment console

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post

The 360 a more complete entertainment console
    Yeah, its more complete with $#@! and lies. Show me what game does it have? Show me something specail that it has? Complete with garbage as its garbage.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Ultimate Veteran
    the PS3 closed the gap between it and the 360. the ps3 got off to a bad start but its selling well now.

Master Guru
    That's right. Tretton is stating the truth here.

Sony is all about the games. That's why the PS fan base is as large as it is.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Gloves are off!
    Indeed! All the PR is starting. I imagine they wouldn't say anything different!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Yeah, but it is entertaining!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Believe what you like world wide they have sold the same and the PS3 was a train wreck. MS better be ready to get curb stomped by the PS4.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    What's the difference here between shipped and sold. You guys make this almost your first priority whenever a console announces how many units they sold, then some of you guys say "they were shipped".

Here is the thing, if the units/consoles were shipped, they were already sold. In order for them to be shipped they have to be sold. What that means is that those stores already purchased those units, all that money now is in the hands of the company. o.O lmfao

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    What's the difference here between shipped and sold. You guys make this almost your first priority whenever a console announces how many units they sold, then some of you guys say "they were shipped".

Here is the thing, if the units/consoles were shipped, they were already sold. In order for them to be shipped they have to be sold. What that means is that those stores already purchased those units, all that money now is in the hands of the company. o.O lmfao
    I don't like to get into sales debates believe me. They never end well. I'm not one of those people that want to argue it until the end of the day either. The way I look at it. I got into a store I see just say 4 360s and 4 PS3s. Sony is counting those as sold as an indicator as userbase. Based on MS's sales those 4 360s are not sold. Yes they have been sold to wholesalers but not to the consumers. A product can be a massive flop but there are 10 million units shipped to meet a demand that was assumed was there. Just a bit misleading. Imagine if the company that released that product was touting that they shipped 10 million units and never discerned the difference between that and sold to consumers. Say they sold 1 million to consumers. This is all a theoretical situation and no where near is it comparable to Sony's situation but that is my logic on it. Yes they got the money from wholesalers but that doesn't mean the product is a big success. Imagine if MS did this for 360 sales with shipped to Japan.

I would say though with it so close they are practically even considering the year jump. Sony possibly having the slight edge considering how close they are with a year gap. Like I said I don't want to argue this all day. I'm open to your counter completely. That is just my outlook on it. No matter what no one can discredit the PS3 is a huge success with all the hurdles that it had to over come. Consumer shock by price, early on lack of support, and PSN fiasco. Yet here we are and they are nipping at the heels or dead even with them. How ever you look at it.

Dedicated Member
    The fact is, if you aren't a gamer, you shouldn't be spending so much money on a games console, buy an Apple TV or something. It's not the casuals who stand out in the cold, in the middle of the night, for a holiday launch of a playstation. I'm glad that Sony knows what its fans want, and that Jack (gotta love the guy) is brave enough to outright admit a strategy of "gamers first" when the entire industry would rather have your next console also function as a toaster. THIS is why I'm a part of the Playstation Nation, and this is why Sony will get my money in the next generation as well.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3-The Ultimate Machine View Post
    The fact is, if you aren't a gamer, you shouldn't be spending so much money on a games console, buy an Apple TV or something. It's not the casuals who stand out in the cold, in the middle of the night, for a holiday launch of a playstation. I'm glad that Sony knows what its fans want, and that Jack (gotta love the guy) is brave enough to outright admit a strategy of "gamers first" when the entire industry would rather have your next console also function as a toaster. THIS is why I'm a part of the Playstation Nation, and this is why Sony will get my money in the next generation as well.
    I agree and me too. However, I really really really hope that Sony is smart about pricing...

Thread Information