Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,230 (0 Banked)

    Will dev times on games be shorter

    So with the ps4 finally joining the x86 club and it should be much simpler to make a game, will games come out a bit faster?

    Say, the difference between a game and its sequel?



    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,748
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    142,846 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    It should definitely shorten it, or at least have a lot less buggy versions of the game in the end...if the next Xbox used x86 architecture then the PC, PS4 and next Xbox will use all the same architecture, which should make porting the game a snap, they would just have to port it to the console and tweak it for the console based on its specs, where as right now they have different architectures.


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  3. #3
    Elite Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,293
    Rep Power
    110
    Points
    13,350 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    So with the ps4 finally joining the x86 club and it should be much simpler to make a game, will games come out a bit faster?

    Say, the difference between a game and its sequel?



    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Most of sony studios were on a roll once they had their engines set for the ps3. I'm thinking that most will will stick to the same cycle 2-3 year cycle.

    Games such as Gran Turismo should be able to come out faster.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

  4. #4
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,230 (0 Banked)
    Uggg. I hate the three year wait when im psyched up for a game.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Forum Sage
    Aquanox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,023
    Rep Power
    86
    Points
    6,086 (0 Banked)
    Yes, of course. They've got rid of the Cell. The PS4 is basically a quite powerful PC so devs shouldn't have any kind of problems developing for it. Multithreading programming isn't an issue anymore, every single decent Engine is prepared for this.

    I'd go as far as saying that multiconsole porting will also be way easier than in past gen. It was a good move by Sony to move to x86 architechture... and make that last minute upgrade to 8GB to match the competition's specs.

    Time between sequels will definitely improve. We had some infamous cases in the PS3 era but the biggest was Gran Turismo. 1 game in a whole generation is simply unacceptable, no matter how obsessed with detail you are. On the other hand you had Turn 10 developing for a much more developer friendly platform with 3 games + expansions, etc. on it.

    However there were notable devs like Naughty Dog who dominated the PS3 architecture but not all teams have the resources or the talent to achieve so and while the PS3 First Party games were their biggest strenght, problems with 3rd party support made the competition more attractive in many cases.

    Sony definitely made these changes to aggressively address this.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 02-22-2013 at 15:34.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you


  6. #6
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,748
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    142,846 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    Yes, of course. They've got rid of the Cell. The PS4 is basically a quite powerful PC so devs shouldn't have any kind of problems developing for it. Multithreading programming isn't an issue anymore, every single decent Engine is prepared for this.

    I'd go as far as saying that multiconsole porting will also be way easier than in past gen. It was a good move by Sony to move to x86 architechture... and make that last minute upgrade to 8GB to match the competition's specs.

    Time between sequels will definitely improve. We had some infamous cases in the PS3 era but the biggest was Gran Turismo. 1 game in a whole generation is simply unacceptable, no matter how obsessed with detail you are. On the other hand you had Turn 10 developing for a much more developer friendly platform with 3 games + expansions, etc. on it.

    However there were notable devs like Naughty Dog who dominated the PS3 architecture but not all teams have the resources or the talent to achieve so and while the PS3 First Party games were their biggest strenght, problems with 3rd party support made the competition more attractive in many cases.
    Boom!


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  7. #7
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    105,212 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I guarantee you that lower budget games will be more plentiful and that it will make it way easier for big budget games to stay in budget and on a time frame. The result of that being, a whole lot less canned games/projects than we saw last gen.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,276
    Rep Power
    140
    Points
    75,553 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A good game takes time to make. Naughty Dog perfected using the Cell CPU and their games still take a long time to come out. Maybe when the PS3 first released, games took longer, but right now I think however long it takes to release a game, it will be the same on the PS4.

  9. #9
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,230 (0 Banked)
    I agree aquanox, 1 game in a whole gen is unacceptable and its funny I was actually thinking of gt and gta when I made this.

    I think next gen is going to be a lot more exciting with way more games and less $#@!ing.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Shibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,153
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    14,377 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    It's not going to decrease the actual time that it takes them to build all the content. But it will definitely shorten debug time.


  11. #11
    PSU Live Streamer
    shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,229
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    21,881 (0 Banked)
    I don't think it'll shorten times by much if at all just because ps4 is on pc architecture. Devs have been making games for the PC for a long time now. Doesn't stop them from taking 2-3 years to make a title.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,748
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    142,846 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    It's not going to decrease the actual time that it takes them to build all the content. But it will definitely shorten debug time.
    Yeah, the content build time will remain the same (unless they offer some better programming tools), but definitely cutting down on debug time and porting! The learning curve will also be very miniscule as well, which I know all the developers are cheering for!


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  13. #13
    Ultimate Veteran
    Lefein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    22,962
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    105,212 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You can bet money that the development tools and game engines are going to shorten time. I am also willing to bet we will see quite a few games using things like CryEngine and other middleware.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,276
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    11,593 (0 Banked)
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    We will definitely see the first games coming sooner than last gen. No 4 year dev cycle for a studio's initial release. But things will settle down into the familiar pattern, 2 year cycles for normal games, 1 year for the annual releases. That won't change.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Shibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,153
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    14,377 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I'd be comfortable with devs taking the same amount of time prepping games, just doing more with that time.


  16. #16
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,618
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,230 (0 Banked)
    2 years isnt that bad as long as there is a nice flow of other content.

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #17
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,608
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    224 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    most likely mentioned, But GTA IV took 4 years to make and GTA V took the same amount off time... So to shorten the time games are made, brings up quality
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.