Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Poorly written article from every angle:

1. The next xbox specs aren't official, it's all based on pure speculation and even if this is true, if Sony went from 4GB to 8GB... why can't MS go from DDR3 to DDR5 in their final HW?
    2. Yes MS seems to be willing to make kinect a major feature in their box (which sucks to me) but with the success they had with exclusive and multiplatform hardcore titles, why would the just leave it on Sony's hands? I do agree however on that Sony's will be more hardcore focused.
    3. With the expected high price and unknown developer support Steambox doesn't seem to be aimed to the same target as PS4 and the Next Xbox are.

Past console wars thought us not to underestimate anything before knowing the facts... and even so...

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    The PS4 is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post

I agree. Games will no longer be held back only to be compatible with 6 year-old hardware.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Apprentice
    I perfectly understand the steambox after listening to Gabe Newell talk about it. The entire point of Steambox is to stop the focus on windows and expand gaming to Linux based OS's. From what I understand, Ballmer really messed up with Windows 8 for the PC by changing all the architecture of it and no patch is going to completely change Windows 8, everyone will have to wait to see what happens with Windows 9. I have also heard that Developers do not like Windows 8 and yet Ballmer still is trying to push it. I sense an epic failure ahead and also many developers jumping through more hoops that Microsoft puts out.

I think that Sony in competition with the Steambox is the best thing and it makes perfect sense. Why cripple developers that are trying to make games for your system. Since making games on PC is 10x easier and many times cheaper, What Sony is aiming for makes perfect sense. I also think over time if a game is more highend on the PC it wont take much at all to bring it to the PS4, they might have to cut down the graphics a tiny bit but they wont have to jump through hoops.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 02-24-2013 at 14:19. Reason: adding more
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

3. Likes claud3 likes this post
    El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Steam box will fail. only hard core pc gamers will buy it..
    I would disagree I won't touch that Steambox. No point in it for me.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

I think a lot of pc gamers view their pc as a very customized unit based on what they can and cant afford.A lot of people with either be unable to abide by the specs and want better performance or believe they could spend the money better on their own build.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is actually very funny when you stop and think about it. Microsoft went into console gaming because they saw the Playstation as a threat in the home market. Instead, what they've found, is that there is more than one real competitor in that space after all. I wonder if they will be nipping at Nintendo's heels this generation?

Apprentice
    I think if Microsoft tries to compete with Nintendo they will lose. Nintendo has 2 games that every single nintendo fan looks forward to and they will buy the system just for Mario alone. Microsoft doesn't have that, they have halo but I doubt halo will last as long as mario has been lasting and how long has that been, like over 25 years now with Mario? lol

There is a reason Sony isn't aiming to compete with Nintendo. Nintendo does certain things right and one of those things is that they make simple but fun games and there really isn't denying that. Nintendo does make fun games, even if every system they release has a stupid weird controller.

I will still get a WiiU I'm just waiting to see how Zelda is going to turn out.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    So Sony is going to compete with a Windows 7 PC rig?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Goodness me there's so many people that have no idea of the Steambox whatsoever.
    1. The Steambox is not have PC gamers to console games it's the other way around, it's to show console gamers that you can also play games the same way as you can on the PC
    2. You do NOT require a keyboard or a mouse, Stea,m created the "Big Picture" mode for a reason and that was to allow users to use only a gamepad
    3. While you can make an equivalent Steambox for a bit less, these Steamboxes are SMALL, I'm talking about twice the size of your fist. I'm sorry but no matter what you do you cannot purchase parts to get the thing that small, not even shuttle cases are anywhere near as small
    4. The Steambox doesn't require any developer support, not sure where people are getting this conception from but you're forgetting something, it's a PC! It doesn't require support because it already has support from every developer on the PC. The only requirement is that the games are released for Linux and a lot of the latest games (and quite a lot of current games) are getting Linux ports now
    5. The cheapest Steambox isn't used primarily for streaming, where on earth did you get that idea from, the cheapest Steambox will be able to play the latest games with ease, maybe not at maximum specs but it'll run them nonetheless
    6. Games are super cheap on the PC and with the Steambox costing between $500 to $1000, depending on your option you'll save money either immediately or within a few months
    7. The Steambox can have any OS installed on it if you so please
    8. You can upgrade as you please

For anyone saying otherwise please look at the facts first before saying otherwise. And yes I know I'm a PC Gamer first and foremost but please don't say this is aimed at PC games, why would PC gamers want something like this when we've got a dedicated machine in the first place and a Raspberry Pi to stream everything else?

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    1. The cheapest Steambox isn't used primarily for streaming, where on earth did you get that idea from, the cheapest Steambox will be able to
    From Gabe Newell's key note at DICE 3 weeks ago.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude

Thumbs up

Is this the future of competition

If so, then i am leaving the gaming world for TAP DANCING and LIONEL RICHIE
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Considering the specs of the thing you'll easily be able to even play Civ V on it.

Veteran
    I am under the impression that hard specs have not yet been detailed and the steam box itself will not release this year. So how can you know the cheapest one will still be a fully capable games machine?

Master Guru
    Sony won't be competing with anyone. The PS4 returns the PS brand to its glory.

After all, the next gen starts when Sony says it starts and they've spoken.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I am under the impression that hard specs have not yet been detailed and the steam box itself will not release this year. So how can you know the cheapest one will still be a fully capable games machine?
    http://www.xi3.com/buy_now.php

Considering that we know the Steambox will be out later then you'll know the specs will be lot better than this. Despite that this $500 unit can play a Total War game.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony won't be competing with anyone. The PS4 returns the PS brand to its glory.

After all, the next gen starts when Sony says it starts and they've spoken.
    Haha. Yeah! Greatness has spoken! 8th gen started on the 20th of February 2013.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Put it this way, PRICE, PERFORMANCE, GAMES, LOYALTY GAMER'S

will win for either one...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    http://www.xi3.com/buy_now.php

Considering that we know the Steambox will be out later then you'll know the specs will be lot better than this. Despite that this $500 unit can play a Total War game.
    That isn't the steambox though. It's a system that can be a steam box.

Valve will have a bare bones value stream box amongst their own line-up.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Valve is in partnership with Xi3. Sure Valve will have other partnerships to manufacture Steam Boxes like Dell (Alienware) are too but what I'm showing is that for the price you can see the specs. At a low price you won't have any problems playing any modern game.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I don't think there will be much competition. Valve has the PC game locked up. Their venture out of the PC only world into the "console" world isn't going to go well imo. I know Steambox isn't a console but that is what the market it's aiming for. I just don't think console gamers are going to be willing to spend the 500 plus that it is expected to be for a PC in a small box.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Yet they're willing to spend $600 on a PS3?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yet they're willing to spend $600 on a PS3?
    That's an actual console. Your typical console gamer isn't going to be that excited about a PC that they are going to spend the same amount for. I like the idea that steam has i just don't think most console gamers are going to be that embracing of it to be a huge success. And most PC gamers enjoy building their own systems. That is why most reject consoles. I like the attempt but i just don't think it will be a huge success. But i do commend steam for branching out instead of alienating console users.

Lol @ some of the comments here. Been a PC gamer since diablo 1 was a demo I find myself playing certain games only on PC and other games on console. Its been like that for me since PS1 days lol! However I do see people on other non steam box consoles coming over to the steam box in the long run. When the consoles graphics card starts to show its age for example. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if steam box puts PC vs console gamers once and for all. I love PC games, my PC and my 3 PlayStation's (soon 4) equally.

As for xbox... never liked or owned played enough to know it sucks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by sosovoo View Post
    Lol @ some of the comments here. Been a PC gamer since diablo 1 was a demo I find myself playing certain games only on PC and other games on console. Its been like that for me since PS1 days lol! However I do see people on other non steam box consoles coming over to the steam box in the long run. When the consoles graphics card starts to show its age for example. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if steam box puts PC vs console gamers once and for all. I love PC games, my PC and my 3 PlayStation's (soon 4) equally.

Does that mean 4 PS3s or 1 PS4?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by sosovoo View Post

Some people are like yourself. Which is awesome. I own a gaming PC because I was wanting to get in on what I was missing out. I built one for around what the steam box is supposed to cost so I would have fell into the Steambox's market comfortably. I just see Elitist from either side turning their nose up at it. PC Elitist "It's weaksauce." Console Elitist "I can't find MS or Sony anywhere on this thing!"
    Last edited by PS4freak; 02-26-2013 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Does that mean 4 PS3s or 1 PS4?
    Lol

Thread Information