Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Post Sony Will Compete With Valve, Not Microsoft, Next Generation

In this corner weighing at 8GB of GDDR5…

Watching the PlayStation 4 reveal I was surprised, despite trying not to be, at the specs for Sony's next console. The eight-core AMD CPU was anticipated, but opting for 8GB of GDDR5 and a GPU comparable to the GeForce 660/660ti is something the PC gamer inside of me couldn't help but be excited about. My astonishment soon turned into curiosity once I thought about how Microsoft's Durango (code name for next-gen Xbox) is clearly not aiming for the same demographic.

First and foremost, the PlayStation 4's specs triumph the Durango's in every way possible. Based on the rumors—which appear to be spot-on—Microsoft has opted for DDR3 memory as opposed to the PlayStation 4's unified GDDR5 memory. For game developers this is a huge difference that will have visual consequences, and will necessarily dampen the quality of multiplatform titles on Microsoft’s next system. Similarly, the Durango's GPU is a huge jump from last generation but is expected to produce roughly 15 – 30% fewer teraflops than what the PlayStation 4's solution. In the current climate where consumers are expecting a huge leap in graphics, every horsepower counts.

Most importantly, the Durango is presumed to have an even more advanced version of Kinect built-in. Such a move indicates that Microsoft wants to make its motion and voice command capabilities a major feature of the next console. We’ve already seen integration with its core titles such as Forza Motorsport and Mass Effect, and it doesn’t appear to be ending there. The company has shown an affection for such technologies with its PC division, and that has flooded over to the console arena as well.

Microsoft appears to be going a completely different route than last generation with multi-tasking, motion controls, and applications being the staple features of its upcoming hardware. It is also likely to be sold at a reasonable price point that could be anywhere from $99 - $199 less than the PlayStation 4. The mixture of its moderate specs, thorough integration of Kinect technology, and affordable price point make it more of a competitor for Nintendo than Sony.

Which leads me to my main point: Microsoft and Sony are not going head-to-head next-generation. Sony has made it abundantly clear that it's interested in games, games, and… uh… games—and heck, throw developers in there, too. Its powerful, PC gamer-approved specs and standard design make it an enticing purchase for gamers and techies alike. Meanwhile, Microsoft is trying to make a multimedia device that fits into the living room of American families. That's not to say that it won't be good at playing Call of Duty and other titles, but we’ve seen what happens when one system has even a minor advantage in multiplatform titles and graphics.

After this realization you'd think that Sony has a free-ride next-generation, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Valve is getting ready to debut its Steam Box this year and it’s going to have potent PC specs as well. It’s directed at the same customers that Sony is after, the people who stay up all Saturday night trying to clear the next dungeon of Dark Souls, and have had discussions with their friends about who G-Man (Half-Life) really is. It’s a direct competitor to Sony, and one that shouldn’t be underestimated.

After such a rollercoaster ride this generation it’ll be nice to see something new, and you can bet that the next few years will be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. Nintendo is struggling to give the Wii U legs going into the future but has tons of exclusives to debut at E3, while Microsoft has a console ready to announce that wants to kick Nintendo out of the living room. In stark contrast, Sony has what appears to be the perfect gaming machine set to debut later this year, but fan-favorite Valve wants a piece of the same pie. Who will be victorious? It’s impossible to tell at this point. The best you can do is sit back and enjoy the spectacle.
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/manife...neration-17733

everyone wanted to know why.. Will i guess here is why

Ultimate Veteran
    It's the right move. There's no point in competing with an IPTV DVR that revolves around motion controls. The WiiU has proven how fickle the motion control gamer really is.
    20 MB signatures are, in fact, not acceptable. Please adhere to the rules. Thanks.

3. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Most importantly, the Durango is presumed to have an even more advanced version of Kinect built-in.
    Say what?...lol

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Say what?...lol
    You didn't know? Apparently, the Durango won't even work when the camera is disconnected.
    20 MB signatures are, in fact, not acceptable. Please adhere to the rules. Thanks.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    You are the controller, only controller.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Definitely not buying a gaming console from Valve, lol. That's for fucking sure.

PSU YouTube Manager
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Definitely not buying a gaming console from Valve, lol. That's for fucking sure.
    I dont think many will, people like Steam, sure, its easy to use (for the most part) easy to connect with your PC friends, and its cheap and and easy to buy games. I cant really see what they expect to do in the console business, or how they expect to convert their success with PC to the console world.

9. Likes BBK.. wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    I really don't see the point in that steambox to be honest. If it's upgradable, then couldn't you make your own "steambox" which may even out perform valves steambox. So if you need a keyboard and mouse I honestly don't see the point in the steambox anyway. It's basically a micro PC from what I'm getting from it.

The one thing I like from what I've heard of steambox is it will use linux.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

PSU YouTube Manager
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I really don't see the point in that steambox to be honest. If it's upgradable, then couldn't you make your own "steambox" which may even out perform valves steambox. So if you need a keyboard and mouse I honestly don't see the point in the steambox anyway. It's basically a micro PC from what I'm getting from it.

Whats the point of making a console upgrade-able in the first place. Its not a console then, its a PC. The whole point of a consoles is that they are closed system.

12. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    I cant wait for half life episode 3 to finish. They need that for ps4, they just gotta do it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    Whats the point of making a console upgrade-able in the first place. Its not a console then, its a PC. The whole point of a consoles is that they are closed system.
    I don't get what your aiming at here. From what I've heard of the steambox is that you can upgrade. However, I can go onto Newegg and make something just as similar, that is my point.

So whatever price you are paying is so you can play steam games on linux. Unless I here otherwise from Valve, that is what I believe it to be right now. It's a linux based gaming system. I'm just not sold on the Steambox.
    Last edited by Coconut_Crunch; 02-23-2013 at 22:32.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Wasn't I just saying in another thread the PS4 was an all in one PC gamers dream.

I know Sonys next reveal, PS4 is steambox!
    Last edited by mickice; 02-23-2013 at 22:32.

PS4 has little to no competition.

El Presidente
    I dont think many will, people like Steam, sure, its easy to use (for the most part) easy to connect with your PC friends, and its cheap and and easy to buy games. I cant really see what they expect to do in the console business, or how they expect to convert their success with PC to the console world.
    I have Steam and love it. I don't know what Valve is trying to do with this Steambox. The only benefit is playing on a bigger TV screen. If I bought a Steambox I'd basically have two computers and would have to upgrade each individually which costs even more and what's the point in that? I'm not going to buy two PS4's, that's ridiculous. Valve and Steam reign supreme in the PC world but I don't expect them to make a dent in the console world.

17. Likes Agriel wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU YouTube Manager
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    I don't get what your aiming at here. From what I've heard of the steambox is that you can upgrade. However, I can go onto Newegg and make something just as similar, that is my point.

So whatever price you are paying is so you can play steam games on linux. Unless I here otherwise from Valve, that is what I believe it to be right now. It's a linux based gaming system. I'm just not sold on the Steambox.
    My point is that a console, is a closed system. Its specs are there and NEVER change, thats the whole point of it. By making a closed system devs are able to get a every last drop of power out of it. If the "console" is upgradeable, then it is no longer a console, its a PC.

19. Likes Coconut_Crunch wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    I don't care about Microsoft garbage. PS4 I will buy it and support Sony until I die. So, who Sony will compete against. No interest for me lool.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    My point is that a console, is a closed system. Its specs are there and NEVER change, thats the whole point of it. By making a closed system devs are able to get a every last drop of power out of it. If the "console" is upgradeable, then it is no longer a console, its a PC.
    A lot of console gamers probably know about Steam but have no interest in being PC gamers (like myself). They know about the crazy discounts and wide range of games and so on. Perhaps Valve just wants to make a PC/console hybrid, brand it, and sell the upgrades under that same brand so that there is no guess work for the consumer. The average Joe doesn't know what graphics card is best, which is compliant with the MB etc. If Valve have a Steambox, and then the consumer sees the range of Steambox upgrades at their local store, that they know has been built to perfectly suit the Steambox console and is easy to install, then you have effectively removed one of the main barriers that puts people off PC gaming...the hassle and confusion.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

PSU YouTube Manager
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    A lot of console gamers probably know about Steam but have no interest in being PC gamers (like myself). They know about the crazy discounts and wide range of games and so on. Perhaps Valve just wants to make a PC/console hybrid, brand it, and sell the upgrades under that same brand so that there is no guess work for the consumer. The average Joe doesn't know what graphics card is best, which is compliant with the MB etc. If Valve have a Steambox, and then the consumer sees the range of Steambox upgrades at their local store, that they know has been built to perfectly suit the Steambox console and is easy to install, then you have effectively removed one of the main barriers that puts people off PC gaming...the hassle and confusion.
    I disagree, I think it will cause more confusion and be a bigger hassle. People already get confused on the few add-on items we already have for consoles today, adding even more options will make it even more confusing. It will also end up just making gamers angry.

Dedicated Member

The way microsoft works would not be shocked if durango is steambox. They played elaborate curveball. Look last gen tried to delay multiplats.

Now my concern is like last gen could Microsoft if its not steambox of cause be trying pull same trick as this gen.

Weaker box means multiplats weaker or in this gen as they sort PC oriented it will be just like choosing different levels of graphic settings like pc games.

Negating the slight hand approach.

All I hope is the build quality improved from ps3 launch in ps4 launch models

Superior Member
    The PS4 is one of the best things to happen to PC gaming in a long time.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Elite Guru
    I'm all for the steam box, it's nt going to be competition to the major console players it is just to extend the functionality of steam. Yes you can buy a Steam box or you can just build your own, that's the beauty of it.

It's not meant to crush the Playstation it's just Valve being cool in that "we want you to use your software where ever you want" kind of way.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I would first like to know lot more about this rumored steam box before making an article like this, based on lot of assumptions.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    I would first like to know lot more about this rumored steam box before making an article like this, based on lot of assumptions.
    This is true, as far as I can tell the idea is that Valve will make a Linux distro designed around steam. Then either Valve, some other hardware manufacture or yourself can build the machines. Essentially making an open platform that is focused on Steam while Valve potentially avoid any of the manufacturing costs.

Personally it just means when I upgrade my PC my current one will become a Steam box.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Valve should know their place. This is the big boys playground, Gabe

They're a game developer, an average one who nevertheless have a place in PC gamers hearts. They got lucky with Steam, it was stillborn but HL2 was a hit and that saved them. They have done well to build on the service since though. Can the Steam Box be a success? Well, if half their loyal fanbase buy one then yes. But how likely is that?

Although for those unsure, the Steam Box isn't a console. It's a Linux based PC for gaming. The low end version is designed to essentially be a streaming-box for the living room, with a more powerful PC elsewhere in the house acting as the server. That at least could be interesting (but hardly practical)

The good thing to come from this is Steam for Linux. That may push developers into supporting Linux in the future.

Ultimate Veteran
    Steam box will fail.only hard core pc gamers will buy it..

Elite Guru
    Gabe has said that they are more interested in beating Apple to the console market than playing with the other big boys. It look like a platform where if they get 5 million units on to the TV screen then it is a success to them. It's a different kind of product in the same field as the other consoles, it will never compete on the same scale.

Thread Information