Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony patent would combat piracy by comparing load times

A patent describing a "method for validating legitimate media products" attributed to Sony Computer Entertainment America surfaced earlier this week. Originally filed in August 2011, the patent elaborates on a process by a which a piece of media could be detected as legitimate (not pirated) by comparing two load times against a benchmark for the media.

As seen in the flow chart above, the patent also describes a secondary validation stage in which a serial number and "user identification information" are checked against "reliable data, such as that sourced from the manufacturer or developer of the media title." Examples of the user information could include account names, location, IP addresses, the speed of the user's connection and product license numbers.

The secondary validation cycle would account for load time errors due to hardware issues, but would also be skipped entirely if the first cycle (the load time benchmark comparisons) checks out. Whether the "load time" method for combating piracy is used in future hardware efforts by Sony is unknown.
    via Joystiq.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

2. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Elite Guru
    That's an interesting way to combat this issue. Most pirated materials tend to have their file lay out scrambled into a new structure usually due to the operating system doing the rip reallocation the files based on name/date/size and that does affect the load time due to extra disc seek times.

I'm interested to see if this goes ahead.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    ooo, that is most interesting indeed, a very acquiescent way of combating a problem
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Man Jabjabs is back also! Nice

Sent from my Note II

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Man Jabjabs is back also! Nice

Sent from my Note II
    Oh Yeah I'm back and here to stay! Been gone a long time but I just call that life getting in the way.

This technique will either stop piracy or make the rips even closer to the originals, so it going to benefit someone for better or worse.

Forum Guru
    Speaking of blu-ray, what is the likelyhood that Sony will use slot loading or manual top loading for the PS4?

Elite Guru
    I'm guessing slot loading, if Nintendo can afford to put a slot loading drive in Wii/Wii U I'm sure Sony can do it an cheaper.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Wow that's a unique way. Sony engineers at work.
    This thread reminded me that since now ps4 is using a more traditional architecture, does that mean there will be more opportunities for hacks? Will sony break out the ban hammers?

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Piracy on consoles is a waste of time. I fully admit I did this a few times on my PS2. Was not worth it at all. Never did it with my PS3. I buy all my games legit and will keep it that way.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    Piracy on consoles is a waste of time. I fully admit I did this a few times on my PS2. Was not worth it at all. Never did it with my PS3. I buy all my games legit and will keep it that way.
    There is NO point to piracy for ps3 and ps4. Who the hell wants to download 50GB games and restrict yourself to offline play and no patches.
    Not worth it at all.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    There is NO point to piracy for ps3 and ps4. Who the hell wants to download 50GB games and restrict yourself to offline play and no patches.
    Not worth it at all.
    Damn straight, sir. Also, your avatar cracks me up.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Not worth it at all.
    People that are broke, I guess.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    People that are broke, I guess.
    I'm a broke college student with no job myself I try and only buy one game a month though. Starting to spend too much lately

My entire ps2 library (around 45 games) was pirated copies but that was because every shop in a third world country sells pirated software (and consoles come pre cracked in stores lol)

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    I'm a broke college student with no job myself

My entire ps2 library (around 45 games) was pirated copies but that was because every shop in a third world country sells pirated software (and consoles come pre cracked in stores lol)
    I have around 50 legit ps2 games. Before the PS4 comes out, I'll be somewhere in that area. With all the crap I bought off of the online store, I should be getting pretty close.

Forum Sage
    This has been used for a while now to flag Xbox 360 users. Problem is... it's not flawless and MS ended up being sued to badly that they stopped banning people unless they were irrefutably violating Xbox Live rules.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i know that feel bro

my PS1 lived on the dark side (most of the time) retailers are hard to come by in third world countries
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    That's an interesting way to combat this issue. Most pirated materials tend to have their file lay out scrambled into a new structure usually due to the operating system doing the rip reallocation the files based on name/date/size and that does affect the load time due to extra disc seek times.

I'm interested to see if this goes ahead.
    I didn't understand one thing of those you have mention. But man you got really good points.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Apprentice
    Not worth it at all.
    LOL yea, $#@! that. 50GB would take far to much time, I would rather buy the game. I am not one to pirate anyway. The closes I get is listening to music on youtube.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Thread Information