Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    maybe so... But i love my 265 albums i have and would never trade them in for an MP3 or anything like that

Damn, i still have my old HI-FI from 1998
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items Vita
    Ive ripped 1 whole CD on my PS3, so this is no problem for me. If i want any music i can just bring it over from the PC using the network or just use a USB stick

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I don't see how. They're inferior in pretty much every way.

How can uncompressed, stereo, 16-bit pulse-code modulated signal sampled at 44.1kHz be worse than 192/320kpbs mp's?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    How can uncompressed, stereo, 16-bit pulse-code modulated signal sampled at 44.1kHz be worse than 192/320kpbs mp's?

They aren't! The disadvantage to music on a CD is the fact it is on a CD!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    They aren't! The disadvantage to music on a CD is the fact it is on a CD!
    Well i guess it comes down to....Good quality music, $#@! quality of music taking up space on a HD.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Well i guess it comes down to....Good quality music, $#@! quality of music taking up space on a HD.
    The average person won't be able to tell the difference between CD audio vs 320kbps audio, but I wouldn't call 320kbps $#@! by any means...now 128kbps, that's a different story!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I still buy CDs here and there. I usually buy them as gifts for people. I also buy the CDs of the bands I really love.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I still buy CD's too. I wouldn't expect a bluray player to not support CD's when even all the PC BR players support DVD's and CD's. I sense bull$#@! from that article.

9. Likes keefy likes this post
    Flaw3d Genius
    The average person won't be able to tell the difference between CD audio vs 320kbps audio, but I wouldn't call 320kbps $#@! by any means...now 128kbps, that's a different story!
    Depends on the setup, I spent £2500 on my amp and speakers alone. It's quite easy to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I still buy CD's too. I wouldn't expect a bluray player to not support CD's when even all the PC BR players support DVD's and CD's. I sense bull$#@! from that article.
    Yep

Do other Blu-Ray players that are 6x play CD's?

Extreme Poster
    I think the last time I used a CD in my PS2 was when they still had CD games in the beginning. I don't even use DVDs...I guess this cuts costs...for all I care, take out DVD too lol. but that won't be practical.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Depends on the setup, I spent £2500 on my amp and speakers alone. It's quite easy to tell the difference.
    With me it probably wouldn't matter since I have tinnitus, and until science gets off its ass and fixes that I wouldn't personally be able to tell the difference! What kind of setup do you have? Just curious... I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, with Polk audio front, surround & center channel with a 12" Velodyne sub, I wanted to do a 7.1 setup, but the way my living room is designed it could never happen!

Flaw3d Genius
    With me it probably wouldn't matter since I have tinnitus, and until science gets off its ass and fixes that I wouldn't personally be able to tell the difference! What kind of setup do you have? Just curious... I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver, with Polk audio front, surround & center channel with a 12" Velodyne sub, I wanted to do a 7.1 setup, but the way my living room is designed it could never happen!
    Yamaha as well, Can do 9.2 but like yourself no chance i could set that up properly also i have 2 wee one's running about mad at the mo so it's running 5.1

Speakers are Q-Acoustics 2050i's for the front, Q center and 2020i's for the back, And a 10" Mordaunt Short sub (Got neighbours underneath Booooooooooo)

You got the Polk floorstanders? They look sweet!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Yamaha as well, Can do 9.2 but like yourself no chance i could set that up properly also i have 2 wee one's running about mad at the mo so it's running 5.1

Speakers are Q-Acoustics 2050i's for the front, Q center and 2020i's for the back, And a 10" Mordaunt Short sub (Got neighbours underneath Booooooooooo)

You got the Polk floorstanders? They look sweet!
    I wanted the Polk floorstanding ones, but due to my livingroom setup I had to go with the Polk RM series that are wall mounted (for both front and surround), but they still sound amazing! I have the matching Polk RM center channel and my sub is the 12" Velodyne DLS-4000R, pretty much rumbles the whole house when I turn my system up!

Flaw3d Genius
    I wanted the Polk floorstanding ones, but due to my livingroom setup I had to go with the Polk RM series that are wall mounted (for both front and surround), but they still sound amazing! I have the matching Polk RM center channel and my sub is the 12" Velodyne DLS-4000R, pretty much rumbles the whole house when I turn my system up!
    Yeah i had a 12" Tannoy that used to do the same but the downstairs neighbor would constantly complain so had to sell to my mate

Ancient
    I think the problem these days is people settle for "does the job" products
    I can't remember the last time a company released a affordable stereo with all the bells and whistles
    Its mainly iPod docks with 20watts rms
    If you want something decent you have to pay through the nose or get a home cinema set up

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I think the last time I used a CD in my PS2 was when they still had CD games in the beginning. I don't even use DVDs...I guess this cuts costs...for all I care, take out DVD too lol. but that won't be practical.
    You can rip them to the PS3 though so it's a bit different now.

TBH they might as well make a digital only version of the PS4 since the only discs it seems to read are PS4 games...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I still buy CDs here and there. I usually buy them as gifts for people. I also buy the CDs of the bands I really love.
    Absolutely. Only times I buy CDs but this isn't a big deal concerning the PS4 for me. I can rip it to my PC, which I always do anyway and transfer it with a flash drive. It's faster that way. My PC can rip twice as fast.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Guru

Yep

Do other Blu-Ray players that are 6x play CD's?
    A 2x BR Drive does play CD's believe it or not, so a 6x BR drive should be able to play CD's.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    A 2x BR Drive does play CD's believe it or not, so a 6x BR drive should be able to play CD's.
    Sony might have opted to make it only read DVD and Blu-ray discs to make the drive last longer. Depending on which disc you insert into a drive, the laser has to focus to read the different formats because the pit sizes are different, so if it doesn't have to focus to read CD's it helps with the drives reliability. That is my guess...

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    People say CD is better quality and I just believed them without ever testing to see if I can notice the differnce so I ripped a CD of mine using Windows media player (WMP) to 320Kbps and compared the differences in quality.
    The CD does sound better and I can notice the diffrence but it does depend on the individual track, some sound alot clearer and crisper on CD and the mp3 a little muffled but most of the time it was hard to tell and thats using heaphones.

A good track to compare is "Break and enter" (XLCD 114) by The Prodigy since it has a bit of distortion built into the track itself and when converted to mp3 it looses some of that distorion due to the way mp3 works.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-25-2013 at 21:05.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    People say its better quality and I just believed them without ever testing to see if I can notice the differnce so I ripped a CD of mine using Windows media player (WMP) to 320Kbps and compared the differences in quality.
    The CD does sound better and I can notice the diffrence but it does depend on the individual track, some sound alot clearer and crisper on CD and the mp3 a little muffled but most of the time it was hard to tell.

A good track to compare is "Break and enter" (XLCD 114) by The Prodigy since it has a bit of distortion built into the track itself and when converted to mp3 it looses some of that distorion due to the way mp3 works.

If your play back device supports wav or FLAC use those thesedays high capacity ipods and walkmans are cheap.
    That is why it is good to have jacked up hearing like mine, it saves on disk space!

Master Guru
    there is only one thing I like from digital downloading of music and that's that I can download 1 song instead of having to buy the entire CD. However, without buying the entire CD you end up missing out on a lot of good songs from that band.

You know it's bad when people start acting like radio stations and only listening to that one song that is popular and not giving a $#@! about the rest of the songs even though they are probably better.

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    People say CD is better quality and I just believed them without ever testing to see if I can notice the differnce so I ripped a CD of mine using Windows media player (WMP) to 320Kbps and compared the differences in quality.
    The CD does sound better and I can notice the diffrence but it does depend on the individual track, some sound alot clearer and crisper on CD and the mp3 a little muffled but most of the time it was hard to tell and thats using heaphones.

Sssshhh! Apprently MP3 is much better

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    It would have a 780nm Laser diode for the CD reading as well as the 405nm Laser Diode for the DVD (and a 650nm one for DVD.) The difference in cost is minimal as 780nm Laser diodes are dirt cheap.

I know there were people on the PS3's that had the 405nm Laser Diodes going bad, but could play DVDs and CDs because the 780 and 650nm Diodes were just fine.

All this said, I'm not sure I'm going to believe a Tweet from this Twit get me some solid evidence before I believe this to be true.

EDIT:

On the MP3 vs CD side of things. It is really going to be dependent on the source that the MP3 is made from, the sample rate and quality of compression.

ANY MP3 that's made from a rip of a CD is going to be worse off than the CD itself. MP3 is a lossy compression, and will loose precision, period. Changing the 'sampling rate' is just going to provide more interpolation points inside of less than perfectly compressed data.

That said, if an MP3 is generated from a higher bit rate and sample rate source (which studio recordings are actually recorded at today - that is they studio recordings are significantly superior in quality to CDs - even SACDs.) Then an MP3 can be generated that results in better fidelity than that of a CD.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 02-25-2013 at 21:45.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    All this said, I'm not sure I'm going to believe a Tweet from this Twit get me some solid evidence before I believe this to be true.
    Yep... going to wait for a less twitty source.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Thread Information