Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    there is only one thing I like from digital downloading of music and that's that I can download 1 song instead of having to buy the entire CD. However, without buying the entire CD you end up missing out on a lot of good songs from that band.

You know it's bad when people start acting like radio stations and only listening to that one song that is popular and not giving a $#@! about the rest of the songs even though they are probably better.
    That is very very true, I have run into so many great songs because of that, and if I hadn't got the whole CD I would have never know about them! It kills me that radio stations so severely dictate what songs they want you to hear...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Rip you CD's to your PC and media share/copy to your PS4. Or use a data cable and connect your mp3 player/usb drive to copy music to your PS4 HDD. Problem solved.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    As much as I could pretend to be ok with some of these points of view the bitter truth is, this makes no sense. Blu-ray drives consist of both the blue-violet and red lasers to read all the formats out here now, and last i herd PS4 allegedly still plays DVD. Sony being ones/the ones who push CD till it was a staple this make NO sense. So the software support is being dropped, for what, I'm friggin baffeled

Edit: No I can't believe it, and until we get word from a better source or the fat lady themselves, fooweee I say!!
    Last edited by D3seeker; 02-26-2013 at 06:16.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    As much as I could pretend to be ok with some of these points of view the bitter truth is, this makes no sense. Blu-ray drives consist of both the blue-violet and red lasers to read all the formats out here now, and last i herd PS4 allegedly still plays DVD. Sony being ones/the ones who push CD till it was a staple this make NO sense. So the software support is being dropped, for what, I'm friggin baffeled

Edit: No I can't believe it, and until we get word from a better source or the fat lady themselves, fooweee I say!!
    Yeah I don't know about this either. I'm not fully sold on it myself. It just seems like a minuscule thing to keep, why get rid of it?

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I still get CDs. Granted, they're almost all older titles, but I've learned that having hardcopies of things can be very helpful when dealing with finicky electronic devices.

As far as not including CD playback, I can't imagine why Sony would go to the trouble of excluding something, unless they really are going proprietary.

Shut up and play games

6. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinoqs View Post
    As far as not including CD playback, I can't imagine why Sony would go to the trouble of excluding something, unless they really are going proprietary.
    My guess is that it wasn't included simply because they didn't want to build a software side of the equation. Rather put the resources else where, this is just wild speculation.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    If everyone here was offered a PS4 with CD compatibility for one price, and a cheaper alternative PS4 with no CD compatibility I'm pretty sure most, if not all, would go the cheaper option. Nobody buys a PS4 to play CD's, nor will they not purchase a PS4 because it doesn't.

I don't see this is a big deal.

​aka Sparc

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    If everyone here was offered a PS4 with CD compatibility for one price, and a cheaper alternative PS4 with no CD compatibility I'm pretty sure most, if not all, would go the cheaper option. Nobody buys a PS4 to play CD's, nor will they not purchase a PS4 because it doesn't.

I would, especially if the PS4 supports Dolby Pro Logic IIx.....wait thats Amp dependent lol
    Actually I hope it supports all the Dolby & DTS formats
    Sent via Codec
    Last edited by TGO; 02-26-2013 at 15:24.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post

For me it's a don't care. A handless man could count on his fingers the number of times I put a CD in my PS3. It's 20W for my CD/SACD player vs 200W for my PS3. All my music is already ripped so I simply copied it over, and I don't believe I used it to listen to MP3s more than once or twice to be honest. But that's me, to each his own.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    For me it's a don't care. A handless man could count on his fingers the number of times I put a CD in my PS3. It's 20W for my CD/SACD player vs 200W for my PS3. All my music is already ripped so I simply copied it over, and I don't believe I used it to listen to MP3s more than once or twice to be honest. But that's me, to each his own.
    Can it be? Surely not! Another SACD collection owner?! I thought i was almost the last lol

Like you I have a blu-ray player from Sony which plays SACD and CD's and does half the stuff my consoles do now actually, but at lower power consumption. So it's really no loss to me, and many like us.

​aka Sparc

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yes, I'm another one of the lost soles (a.k.a. SACD collector.)

Flaw3d Genius
    For the people that say we should use MP3's, I bet they would be the first to moan if Sony stopped selling games in store and it was digital only.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    SACD is really only beneficial with multi instrumental bands.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaw3d Genius View Post
    For the people that say we should use MP3's, I bet they would be the first to moan if Sony stopped selling games in store and it was digital only.
    Mp3 are cheaper

Flaw3d Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    Mp3 are cheaper

Cheaper but worse quality, Being an audiophile i want my music to sound the best possible, Being a dj i would never touch an MP3's and only by Wavs.

Apprentice

Good thing nobody uses CDs anymore.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Cheaper but worse quality, Being an audiophile i want my music to sound the best possible, Being a dj i would never touch an MP3's and only by Wavs.
    Same here. MP3s are ass. My entire collection is FLAC or Vinyl FLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by ElieKatz$#@! View Post
    Good thing nobody uses CDs anymore.
    I rip them... but I certainly don't play them by themselves. Everything is digital for me now, but it's nice to have a physical copy if something gets borked with my digital files.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    That's a whole different ball game. MP3s are not dependent upon bandwidth capabilities. Don't even know how you could relate the two outside of the fact that they are both forms of media. Not to mention CDs have gone by the wayside long ago. Consoles have remained mostly disc based all the way until now. It's not like we're talking PC gaming.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    I guess I'm not an audiophile like some of you...I think I've owned like 5-6 CDs my whole life...about 4 of those were SOCOMs lol.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I guess I'm not an audiophile like some of you...I think I've owned like 5-6 CDs my whole life...about 4 of those were SOCOMs lol.
    I download all my music now but in the form of FLAC. When you listen to music on a real system the difference is night and day. MP3s can suck it.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Veteran
    You mean to tell me my Backstreet Boys CD that I bought back in 1999 isn't going to work on my PS4?

This is really hindering my decision on whether to buy one or not.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGT View Post
    You mean to tell me my Backstreet Boys CD that I bought back in 1999 isn't going to work on my PS4?

This is really hindering my decision on whether to buy one or not.
    Don't lie, we all know you listen to New Kids On The Block!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

24. Likes John25 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I am wondering if this move away from CD's has anything to do with Sony opening up a music store in PSW (Playstation world)

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SHAZZMAZZ
    Items PS3 Slim
    The only time i use CD on my PS3 is to copy them over to my PS VITA so im not really that bothered about it plus i have my Ipod playing some time when im playing a game.

But i want the PS4 to play DVD cuz i won't have a DVD player after i sell my PS3.
    Last edited by SHAZZMAZZ; 02-27-2013 at 16:36.
    The Last of Us, Anime, Rosie Jones

No matter what race you are or what you look like or your sexuality or where you come from, We are all the same people and we are all bothers & sisters so love each other & don't let anyone tell you any different.

Remember you can't choose what you are from birth but you can choose what you want to become.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they are not there we all got to have something to believe in.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I am wondering if this move away from CD's has anything to do with Sony opening up a music store in PSW (Playstation world)
    -__- Unlike the beginning of this gen, (where split-screen co-op was ditched just to push people onto PSN) That makes no sense.Sony has always had some for of music store so no. This (if true and apparently now PSU has an article on it) There just has to be another reason. It's down to software support and it really doesn't make sense.

Blah, I'm finished babbling, doubt any of that was coherant, I'm just in disbelief that there's the question that Sony would abandon something that they themselves had in on, and Yes I still collect CDs and have even ripped a few strait to the PS3. I would just stream over a media server but the $#@!ty network here suddenly one day stopped allowing my server from being seen by well anything, plus I still have my thing with gapless playback which isn't supported through streaming anyways

Thread Information