Latest PSU headlines:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 155
  1. #126
    Master Guru
    manutdfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Port
    Posts
    6,592
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    32,272 (0 Banked)
    No biggie if your a music enthusiast you woulodn't be using a PS3 to listen to CD's you 'd have a dedicated CD player.

    In game music would be cool.
    20...

  2. #127
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,689
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    136,278 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by manutdfan View Post
    No biggie if your a music enthusiast you woulodn't be using a PS3 to listen to CD's you 'd have a dedicated CD player.

    In game music would be cool.
    No way! 8-track all the way!


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  3. #128
    Veteran
    RyanGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,797
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    21,776 (615,000 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Don't lie, we all know you listen to New Kids On The Block!
    ****.. I was trying to keep this a secret


    Thanks a lot MonkeyClaw

  4. #129
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,929
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    63,129 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    -__- Unlike the beginning of this gen, (where split-screen co-op was ditched just to push people onto PSN) That makes no sense.Sony has always had some for of music store so no. This (if true and apparently now PSU has an article on it) There just has to be another reason. It's down to software support and it really doesn't make sense.

    Blah, I'm finished babbling, doubt any of that was coherant, I'm just in disbelief that there's the question that Sony would abandon something that they themselves had in on, and Yes I still collect CDs and have even ripped a few strait to the PS3. I would just stream over a media server but the ****ty network here suddenly one day stopped allowing my server from being seen by well anything, plus I still have my thing with gapless playback which isn't supported through streaming anyways
    It is a push for music unlimited I'm sure. Take away CD support to push your music format. You don't see iPods with CD players do you. I know its a bit different but logically it is understandable.




    Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

  5. #130
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,069
    Rep Power
    63
    Points
    10,154 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    It doesn't really effect me, but it's a bit lame. Not a deal breaker for buying a ps4. Just another reason to keep my ps3 around if I feel the need to play a ps1 game.


  6. #131
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    821
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    10,185 (0 Banked)
    In terms of the overall reason for getting a PS4, it means little. In terms of PR, it looks pretty bad.

    Think about it.... CDs are still relevant and still sold for those that want the best audio quality without compression format limitations. Sony went from "It only does everything!" to "It does mostly everything". They are releasing a console that doesn't play a still relevant format that THEY co-invented..... yet their competing consoles WILL still be able to play them.

    In the end it's not a real reason to not to get the PS4.....but purely in PR terms, it's a little embarrassing.

  7. #132
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,929
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    63,129 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    In terms of the overall reason for getting a PS4, it means little. In terms of PR, it looks pretty bad.

    Think about it.... CDs are still relevant and still sold for those that want the best audio quality without compression format limitations. Sony went from "It only does everything!" to "It does mostly everything". They are releasing a console that doesn't play a still relevant format that THEY co-invented..... yet their competing consoles WILL still be able to play them.

    In the end it's not a real reason to not to get the PS4.....but purely in PR terms, it's a little embarrassing.
    Don't know that for sure just yet.




    Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

  8. #133
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,269
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    4,895 (0 Banked)
    I don't exactly like CD support being dropped by I can understand from a hardware and software perspective why they would. It's less components to worry about putting in and it's less software to code in as well. This translates to cost savings however miniscule it may be.

  9. #134
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,437
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    61,130 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    **** move on their part if it was to push Music Unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by meanspartan
    "Oh we accidentally did something awesome that a lot of owners of our struggling handheld find to be awesome and exciting? Better fix that!"

  10. #135
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,950
    Rep Power
    180
    Points
    74,250 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    -__- Unlike the beginning of this gen, (where split-screen co-op was ditched just to push people onto PSN)
    That's not true. If every developer could easily give us a split-screen co-op, they would do it. There are penalties of how you design your game if you want to include a split-screen. Especially in campaign.

    About the discussion at hand: Do we really care about CDs that much? Well, so be it, you guys will just have to suffer lol. Or buy another console that supports it.

  11. #136
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,929
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    63,129 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    **** move on their part if it was to push Music Unlimited.
    I have a feeling this played a part in it but I'm sure hardware cost had most to do with it. I'm sure the cost wasn't very high to add it but some corners have to be cut to keep consoles at a certain price. I'm sure this was just a "Do we really need it?" choice.




    Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

  12. #137
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,497
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    12,177 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    **** move on their part if it was to push Music Unlimited.
    Well yeah, most people buy music from ITunes or on CD then convert to MP3 for their portable devices
    I can understand why companies would want digital dls, no packaging, not printing, no shipping or distribution
    Just a medium quality compressed file with double the profits
    Its even worse with games because they arw higher priced then retail
    And they can always pull the plug on digital content even if you paid for it, because its just a license to use it, not own
    Clever girl

    Sent via Codec

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  13. #138
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,497
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    12,177 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I have a feeling this played a part in it but I'm sure hardware cost had most to do with it. I'm sure the cost wasn't very high to add it but some corners have to be cut to keep consoles at a certain price. I'm sure this was just a "Do we really need it?" choice.
    Its in both DVD and Blu-ray spec, its by default
    It not that they didn't add it, its been disabled

    Sent via Codec

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  14. #139
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    PSN ID
    baffledduck
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    581 (0 Banked)
    hi guys and girls long term reader first time poster , its kind of a bummer that it doesnt play cds but im sure you could import from usb or phone etc,im also a subscriber to music unlimited which helps.

  15. #140
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    21
    Posts
    20,437
    Rep Power
    115
    Points
    61,130 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Well yeah, most people buy music from ITunes or on CD then convert to MP3 for their portable devices
    I can understand why companies would want digital dls, no packaging, not printing, no shipping or distribution
    Just a medium quality compressed file with double the profits
    Its even worse with games because they arw higher priced then retail
    And they can always pull the plug on digital content even if you paid for it, because its just a license to use it, not own
    Clever girl

    Sent via Codec
    I ONLY buy my music via CDs, I never buy off itunes or anything like that, I'll just find it on youtube or something. So they're screwing themselves with this.

    I doubt it's because of the cost either, it'll save them like $2 which isn't worth it at all, a lot of people buy CDs, you guys can defend Sony all you want but this is a BS move.
    Quote Originally Posted by meanspartan
    "Oh we accidentally did something awesome that a lot of owners of our struggling handheld find to be awesome and exciting? Better fix that!"

  16. Likes D3seeker likes this post
  17. #141
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,929
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    63,129 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Its in both DVD and Blu-ray spec, its by default
    It not that they didn't add it, its been disabled

    Sent via Codec
    Ahh well points more towards pushing music unlimited.




    Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

  18. #142
    Veteran
    unicron7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,724
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    6,106 (0 Banked)
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Does no one have a computer? It takes 15 minutes to burn a CD onto a computer(been doing it since 1999) in your home and stream it to your Playstation. Or put it on a thumb drive and transfer it over. ****.


    I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

  19. Likes Sufi likes this post
  20. #143
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    12,023
    Rep Power
    122
    Points
    109,785 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Does no one have a computer? It takes 15 minutes to burn a CD onto a computer(been doing it since 1999) in your home and stream it to your Playstation. Or put it on a thumb drive and transfer it over. ****.
    Why so angry?
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

  21. #144
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,950
    Rep Power
    180
    Points
    74,250 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Because people are crying lol.

  22. #145
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,929
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    63,129 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Does no one have a computer? It takes 15 minutes to burn a CD onto a computer(been doing it since 1999) in your home and stream it to your Playstation. Or put it on a thumb drive and transfer it over. ****.
    Yeah that's the way I look at it. Oh well if it doesn't have a CD drive. I don't think I've ever used it maybe once when trying to rip a cd. Then I realized it was twice as long of a process.




    Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

  23. #146
    Elite Member
    D3seeker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Severn, Maryland
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Posts
    1,675
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    387 (20,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I don't exactly like CD support being dropped by I can understand from a hardware and software perspective why they would. It's less components to worry about putting in and it's less software to code in as well. This translates to cost savings however miniscule it may be.
    NO Just wrong. This is only about CD support. Components wise that would men dropping the red-orange laser, which would mean no DVD either. This must just be a software thing. And I personally still haven't herd the fat lady sing so I'm not buying it. (If someone from Sony did comment on this than it flew way over my head )

    Edit:
    That's not true. If every developer could easily give us a split-screen co-op, they would do it. There are penalties of how you design your game if you want to include a split-screen. Especially in campaign.

    About the discussion at hand: Do we really care about CDs that much? Well, so be it, you guys will just have to suffer lol. Or buy another console that supports it.
    While I did see those interviews I'm still not inclined to believe that was the whole truth in the matter.

    Any who... WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Last edited by D3seeker; 02-28-2013 at 05:24.


  24. #147
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,269
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    4,895 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    NO Just wrong. This is only about CD support. Components wise that would men dropping the red-orange laser, which would mean no DVD either. This must just be a software thing. And I personally still haven't herd the fat lady sing so I'm not buying it. (If someone from Sony did comment on this than it flew way over my head )
    I know this. Something tells me though that a blu-ray may be able to play DVDs without the red-orange laser as the laser used for blu-ray is highly configurable. (I may be wrong so don't quote me on this.)

  25. #148
    Apprentice
    Arion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    262
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    147 (0 Banked)

    PS4 will not support CDs

    As technology advances, the storage mediums of today die and new ones are born. The upcoming PlayStation 4 will cease support of a format that Sony's home consoles always have: compact discs.
    Reiji Asakura, the Japanese journalist who wrote the bestselling book "Revolutionaries at Sony: The Making of the Sony Playstation and the Visionaries Who Conquered the World of Video Games" tweeted that Sony told him the PS4 will not play CDs or Super Audio CDs. The PlayStation 3 does play both of these formats.
    Sony co-developed the CD with Philips back in the 1970s. While many people listen to digital audio files for music, CDs are still the preferred format for many music enthusiasts.
    Will the loss of CD support affect you? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned to PSU for more PS4 news.
    Via Kotaku


    http://www.psu.com/a018538/PS4-will-not-support-CDs

    This seems to be more than a rumour, since the official specs provided by Sony only mention a Blu-ray and DVD read speed

    http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/130221a_e.html

    <PlayStation®4 >

    Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
    CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
    GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
    Memory GDDR5 8GB
    Hard Disk Drive Built-in
    Optical Drive
    (read only)
    BD 6xCAV
    DVD 8xCAV
    I/O Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
    Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
    IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth® 2.1(EDR)
    AV output HDMI
    Analog-AV out
    Digital Output (optical)
    I hope this changes before release!

  26. #149
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,689
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    136,278 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    Meh...Compact Discs are so 1980's!


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  27. #150
    Apprentice
    Coconut_Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    359
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    4,591 (0 Banked)
    Very very very very clear that the only reason they did this was for more sales on their music store. I noticed the subscription price and was turned off right away because it cost more than netflix.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

    http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.