Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony: Console Life Cycles Could Become Shorter

Source

Console life cycles could become shorter, according to Sony Computer Entertainment.

When asked whether the PS4 will follow the ten-year lifecycle of previous consoles, UK managing director Fergal Gara said his "gut feel" is that they won't be as long as they have been.

"It'll definitely be a long life cycle and we're planning for the future and the sheer scale of the technology announced certainly shows that it should last many years," he told Digital Spy.

"Ten years, yeah, it's a number that's picked out but I think it's interesting to see the PS2 is just being put to bed now, and that's a lot more than ten years.

"PS3 will continue for some period, and will have an excellent year this year, especially software-wise, it's incredibly well-positioned that stuff that's announced already and more to come as well. We'll keep them all going as long as they are viable."

He continued: "But my own gut feel? The life cycles maybe won't be quite as long in the future as they have been in the past, but they still won't be short.

"I think we're a very, very long way off ever contemplating a one-year life cycle on this kind of device."
    PS5 in 2018?

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I could do 4 year life cycles TBH. I hope they take that approach because the PS3 and 360 was like dragging my sack across glass.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Friendship is Carrots
    Seems too short. I would want at least 5-6 solid years; but if the console gives me a lot of good experiences and the prices match the shorter generations (300-400$ systems) then I guess I can't complain. I can see the BC issue stacking terribly though.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Keep in mind that once streaming is the default form of playing games, the only reason we'd need new hardware is for other functionality. Therefore, consoles will see new versions as often as phones and tablets within 10 years.

Elite Guru
    4-5 Years is the traditional length and I hope they can stick to that.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    They must plan on being profitable very quickly then.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    I could do 4 year life cycles TBH. I hope they take that approach because the PS3 and 360 was like dragging my sack across glass.
    What a poetic analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Keep in mind that once streaming is the default form of playing games, the only reason we'd need new hardware is for other functionality. Therefore, consoles will see new versions as often as phones and tablets within 10 years.
    Eh... yearly updates would drive me nuts... and that sort of defeats the purpose of consoles. I'd rather go back to PC gaming if I had to upgrade yearly to get a new console.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

8. Likes Silvy likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Eh... yearly updates would drive me nuts... and that sort of defeats the purpose of consoles. I'd rather go back to PC gaming if I had to upgrade yearly to get a new console.
    You wouldn't have to upgrade yearly. That's the whole point with streaming. No matter which version you have, as long as you have a good internet connection you can play the latest games.

The new console versions would just improve other functionality for the console, so they could be released whenever.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    You wouldn't have to upgrade yearly. That's the whole point with streaming. No matter which version you have, as long as you have a good internet connection you can play the latest games.

The new console versions would just improve other functionality for the console, so they could be released whenever.
    Oh yeah... Gaikai would allow for that.

This is going to be some very interesting next generations.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Im ok with PS5 releasing holiday 2018 but im also ok with holiday 2020.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Sounds good to me.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Friendship is Carrots

By the time good bandwidth is widely available for that, a console market focused on that method of entertainment delivery would probably become redundant and be replaced by handhelds and PC's. I see that eventually happening in the next two decades.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    With the way graphics and features are im content with a 6+ lifecycle going forth because less and less can be achieved.

We have gone from screen caps to full on game streaming and recording.
    Last edited by mickice; 02-24-2013 at 06:25.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I hope so the PS4 will less for 10 years. But you never trust these companies.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information