Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder
    Items User name style

Media Molecule's Presentation

I was of two minds about what they presented.

1) Was it real or just a choreographed target render type video? If it was a render it was kinda lame, unless they can really make it real...

2) If it was real how did they handle things like animation, how did they rig those figures for example, how did they make the music, or the initial tower back drop? How much impact did the puppetry have on things like the music? In theory there was a lot of very complicated things going on to make it look so simple. I've no idea how they'd make it into a game, unless it was kind of the sculptural version of Scribblenauts, where you build something to solve a specific task and then puppet it around...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ser-tools.aspx

Media Molecule Showcases User Creation Tools

playstation 4

by Kimberley Wallace on February 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM

Alex Evans of Media Molecule took the stage at today's Sony presser to showcase the company's vision for the PS4.
    Evans started his presentation saying how the company wants to take creative gaming to the next level, letting you record your dreams and show them to others. He discussed what he called the, "tyranny of the polygon," and how Media Molecule wants to work with the PS4 to change this. After two years of research by testing out tools like motion capture, it was clear that the move controller was the best option for Media Molecule to explore. Footage showed off a sculpting tool where people could take a free-form creative journey to sculpt with ease anything they desired. The Move controller would track every move you make and it allows for easy 3D sculpting for beginners with deeper options for advanced creators. This could extend to crafting game levels. To end Media Molecule's presentation, it showed the ease of using the Move controller like you were a master puppeteer controlling characters to play guitar, keyboards, and drums in swift, simple motions.

Although, no games were announced, it did showcase the company is tapping into some creative tools to bring us to a new level with PS4's advanced technology. With what Media Molecule did with LittleBigPlanet, it'll be interesting to see what else the company unveils in the future.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I was hoping MM was going to work on something more interesting for PS4 but it looks like they will just give us some kind of game maker where we can work out every detail via sculpting and move controller.

RIP Oculus Rift

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    3D sculptor sounds good to me, with the dual eye system depth will probably crazy accurate because it can judge size and displacement between images.

PS4 has little to no competition.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Rathgor
    I care about games, not digital sculpting tools with PlayStation move. I use zBrush and my intuos 4 for sculpting lol, MM was embarrassing in my opinion.. Cool idea, but it's not a game to me.

Apprentice
    Yea, I personally didn't care much for what MM showed at that event. I thought it was weird and dull.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    MM spent millions on R&D a year or two ago...They said they were working on something unique and special. I think what we saw wasn't really that reflective of what they have been working on....

at least I hope not lol.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Tbh whilst the presentation itself was underwhelming to me, the idea of being able to build cities, landscapes, objects, people etc using the move - in what looks like very high detail - is kinda ****ing cool. This isn't even 'casual' if the 'game' is a creative suite, this is just awesome

Being a gamer would have preferred an actual game though . But saying that we don't know what kinda game can from this. We'll get details soon I guess

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The attempt is noble to me but i thought it was quite boring honestly. I just don't have much interest in move. I like that is available for others but motion controls don't do much for me. This demo was very creative though.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Ultimate Veteran
    I like the idea of having some sculpting time with a Move, thank you very much!
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    One thing you have to remember is that these models were created by professional graphics artists! I am pretty sure if I tried to make a model like that it will end up looking like The Blob...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    I have to be brutally honest about MM. I like MM but I thought their presentation was complete ****, probably the worst out of the show.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    TBH I'm a character modeller, and I spend most of my day sculpting in ZBrush. I don't really want this in my games. I'll probably stay away from it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I have to be brutally honest about MM. I like MM but I thought their presentation was complete ****, probably the worst out of the show.
    I was definitely expecting something more jaw dropping coming from them as well! Instead when they showed the game I was more like grumpy old cat...

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

14. Likes Coconut_Crunch likes this post
    Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Looks like Mm has been wasting their time to be honest.

They've had a looong time to develop a new console-game, and that was all they could come up with? It looked like a proof of concept that may or may not ever come out. A shameless plug for the Move Controller.

I was expecting more from them.

16. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post
    Looks like Mm has been wasting their time to be honest.

They've had a looong time to develop a new console-game, and that was all they could come up with? It looked like a proof of concept that may or may not ever come out. A shameless plug for the Move Controller.

I was expecting more from them.
    I think they take most difficult way!! Look at evolution of level design tool from LBP1 to LBP2, and then to this presentation!! they try to make FULL pakage for gamedevelopment tools, like Unity engine, or even Unreal engine!Think how many great indie games we could get if when they sucseed in that!!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    I don't understand what they wanted to show and i honestly don't care, that convention was kind of a disappointment to me.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Super Elite
    This was a tech demo guys, not an actual game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Yea, don't put all the blame on them. Maybe Sony push them to develop something for Move... And we even didn't see the finalised project yet. And for me, I am excited, since I have 2 motion controllers and a navigation stick
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    This was a tech demo guys, not an actual game.
    That's exactly my point.....

After having such a long time to develop something new.... all they could come up with and show us was a ... Tech Demo?

Disappointing.

Super Elite

After having such a long time to develop something new.... all they could come up with and show us was a ... Tech Demo?

Disappointing.
    Yes. If you should blame anyone you should blame Sony. They are the ones that contract Media Molecule for these creative developments, for the benefit of Sony's first party studios. Personally I think it's a good idea to use a team of talented individuals to try and test out new ideas and technologies, but I can't honestly say that what was shown was very exciting, or that it should have been shown at the press conference.

People are still confusing this with a game announcement though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Guru
    Would love to hear more about the demo, etc if there was any polygons in it and how they handled GI and so on..
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

24. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I think MM is saving their big announcment for E3. They will announce LBP 3. lolz

26. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GalapagosaraY
    their presentation was idd bizarre. It reminded a bit of the Wii Music presentation Ninty did some years ago

Cur.Playing PS3 : Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Monkey Island 2 SE: LeChuck's Revenge

Playing PC: Thief - Edna & Harvey: Harvey´s New Eyes

Recently Completed: Heavy Rain 8.0/10 - Devil May Cry 2 HD 4.5/10 - AC: Revelations 8.5/10

Dedicated Member

Disappointing.
    Wow you sound so entitled, like they owe you something. Either way Media Molecule has been developing a Vita game and a PS3/PS4 game (not sure if it'll be on PS3), and they just haven't really shown it yet.

Media Molecule isn't a very large company anyways. Personally I thought there presentation was exciting and showed the potential of what can be done. It's a cool idea and leads me to believe their next game will be a play.create.share style game for PS4, except this time it's in 3d and the tools will be more powerful. I prefer what they showed over some of the other things presented.

Wait for E3!

Master Guru
    I think Media Molecule's presentation was just the start of what's to come for the company on the PS4.

I can't imagine how amazing LittleBigPlanet is going to look and play on that new tech.

Thread Information