mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Yoshida discusses PS4 game releases and possible subscription service

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Much like Sony’s current handheld system, the PlayStation Vita, games on the PlayStation 4 will be available via traditional retail means as well as through PSN as a digital download. So far there has been no word on whether or not the digital version will cost any less than the physical copy, however, if Sony intends to further the PS Vita’s ethos with simultaneous retail and digital releases, we can expect a digital PS4 game to cost roughly 10% less than the physical copy.

During a recent interview with The Guardian, Sony Computer Entertainment president Shuhei Yoshida had the following to say:

“We’re shifting our platform more and more to the digital side – PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc.”
    Yoshida also expanded on this idea by describing potential future purchase models in which customers paid for a subscription that allowed them to access games in a manner akin to Netflix or Hulu Plus.

“As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we’ll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company.”
    He then furthered this idea by conjecturing about possible subscription levels as well as the possibility of streaming games on-demand to the PS4 using the newly acquired Gaikai:

“We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available.”
    At the moment, a subscription service and on-demand game streaming are both hypothetical ideas stewing away at SCE, but with the PS4′s focus on “immediacy” they are both very likely additions we may see in the future.
    What I love about Sony is that its not just a console maker but also a heavily content driven company. Can you imagine a day when Sony's entire catalogue of games across 4 generations is available via a Netflix type model? That's some crazy **** there, and what I think is the future of the PS+ subscription service.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

PSN ID
    Darksec
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    What I love about Sony is that its not just a console maker but also a heavily content driven company. Can you imagine a day when Sony's entire catalogue of games across 4 generations is available via a Netflix type model? That's some crazy **** there, and what I think is the future of the PS+ subscription service.
    This is awesome in theory however the issue I could see here is the developers and cost effects.

If we all pay a pay monthly sub (and lets face it most would if this was an option meaning you could play any games as and when) then how is this going to effect how much developers make? I know they do this with Films however the costing etc is quiet different.

If they can do this and make it work without the monthly sub being ridiculous or the developers being hit too hard. Suppose you could still charge for content separately to make some money from and extras.

I would miss however having a nice pile of boxes/collection though of coarse this would still be an option to a degree. I wonder how they are deciding what will have physical release and what wont??

One things for sure I now want to invest in a vita

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    It sound cool.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information