Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Pretty crazy if true. I can't wait until Naughty Dog gets a hold of the PS4. I'm thinking we'll see something at E3.

Wish the Resident Evil series hadn't gone to crap. I'd love nothing more than to see a next gen real survival horror Resident Evil game, especially back in the mansion. Hopefully one day Capcom will see the light and return it back to its roots, instead of this stupid action crap they've let it become.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So this is basically Sony throwing down the gauntlet right at the time when Microsft seems to be jumping in to the casual market head first.
    We need that X-Box event now!

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

PSN ID
    ReDxHorneT
    Items 1UP (Pixel)Avenged SevenfoldLucy PinderSteamPS3 SlimBullet For My ValentineLBP KratosGran Turismo 5Little Big Planet
    E3 is going to be so freaking awesome!!!! I cannot wait to see more PS4 footage and to see what the final games look like <3

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post

Yea, I think we are in for a real treat when E3 comes up.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

6. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Games have access to all 8GB RAM so dont know what your saying
    I doubt it (unless I missed something they've said already). Usually the OS has to use some RAM, I'm guessing 1-2GB, so there will probably be 6GB available for games, which is still a $#@! load considering the PS3 only has 512MB.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    So why does the developer of Killzone Shadow Fall mention that PS4 has 8GB of the fastest RAM when they showcased it on Jimmy Fallon ? I mean if they didn't even use 1/5th of it ?

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    So why does the developer of Killzone Shadow Fall mention that PS4 has 8GB of the fastest RAM when they showcased it on Jimmy Fallon ? I mean if they didn't even use 1/5th of it ?

Because it does have it? and just cause demo build doesnt use it doesnt mean retail version wont

edit rugor the OS has its own seperate co-proccesor which is being kept top secret my guess is that the OS doesnt access any ram till it switchs to the co-proccesor in which case the game is made into a save state and not using the ram also, but we will see
    Last edited by Chille; 02-25-2013 at 00:21.

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Direct link to the thread.

Didn't I make a thread about how Agni's philosophy only used 1.5GB VRAM and people were skeptical. Coincidence? I think not

Mindblowing none the less
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRellP89 View Post
    I doubt it (unless I missed something they've said already). Usually the OS has to use some RAM, I'm guessing 1-2GB, so there will probably be 6GB available for games, which is still a $#@! load considering the PS3 only has 512MB.
    That is enough for the desktop version of windows 7. PS4 OS should be no bigger than 512mb
    Last edited by Itachi; 02-25-2013 at 00:57.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Why so little?

If devs were told the console would have 4 GB of RAM then you just have to ask why.
    Probably because they've been developing it on a devkit approximation of the final product. Probably has an off the shelf gpu along with the customary onboard vram.

Apprentice
    I don't see how is that surprising news considering that current pc games don't go above 2gb of vram e.g Skyrim. And also remember that most ps4 games probably are going to run in 1080p rez, so it will be awhile till latter games are going to use much more vram.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Arn3lis View Post
    I don't see how is that surprising news considering that current pc games don't go above 2gb of vram e.g Skyrim. And also remember that most ps4 games probably are going to run in 1080p rez, so it will be awhile till latter games are going to use much more vram.
    MSAA causes the huge increase in memory usage
    Last edited by Itachi; 02-25-2013 at 01:03.

Forum Guru
    This isn't such a big surprise. With devkits designed for a 4GB PS4 - from what we've gleaned from the net rumors anyhow - this makes sense. 512MB to 1GB for the PS4 OS leaves an average of 3.75GB of unified ram. And you can do quite a bit with 1.5GB of VRAM, as has been said in other posts. Edit: yikes, as I was typing, even.

But heck yeah, this means lots of room for lots of stuff, and it may be a few years before developers begin bumping up against any space limitations... maybe. It's hard to resist taking advantage of available resources.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTrey View Post
    Wish the Resident Evil series hadn't gone to crap. I'd love nothing more than to see a next gen real survival horror Resident Evil game, especially back in the mansion. Hopefully one day Capcom will see the light and return it back to its roots, instead of this stupid action crap they've let it become.
    Ermm... okay, I've been sick this weekend, cut me some slack. I want to rant anyway.

Oh seriously, just like DMC. SO many of us have been crying like devils for a return to the style and panache of the original, especially Dante. Why CAPCOM keeps slagging us off for what they want, or what they think gamers want, is baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    edit rugor the OS has its own seperate co-proccesor which is being kept top secret my guess is that the OS doesnt access any ram till it switchs to the co-proccesor in which case the game is made into a save state and not using the ram also, but we will see
    Intriguing if true. Kind of like the segragated PPU. I'm not sure what you're getting at with OS behavior, but... what the heck, I like to hear myself type.

It's possible that SONY is streamlining the OS into utility shells that can be dumped when games load and there's no need for them. But a kernel of core will probably always remain to handle the essential tasks like disc management and the API. Which is another thing I forgot to ponder. If this is going to be so PC-like, are they using DX-11.x? Or something proprietary co-engineered with a few key devs like Open GL was once used?
    Last edited by Tetsu; 02-25-2013 at 01:18.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Ultimate Veteran
    Yes games will use 8 gigs of ram if need to be.the memory is pooled together like the 360s and the ps3s memory is split 256 of ram 256 of main.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Probably because they've been developing it on a devkit approximation of the final product. Probably has an off the shelf gpu along with the customary onboard vram.
    I guess that's one explanation. Still seems a bit odd to me, if Sony were committed to having at least 4GB like the leaks suggest they have been for some time, you'd think they'd at least tell their first party studios to have that in mind.

Although it's not THAT surprising that the new KZ was running on just 1.5GB, I mean it's a linear shooter, memory amount isn't that important.

Oh and to above I can run Skyrim perfectly well with AA maxed and a bunch of texture mods with just 1GB of VRAM. Not the highest res texture mods though.

Apprentice
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18429065
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    MSAA causes the huge increase in memory usage

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    I would RAM that for Dollar
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

19. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Did you look at the installed mod list?
    Secondly, everyone know how good bethesda's programmers are

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Did you look at the installed mod list?
    Secondly, everyone know how good bethesda's programmers are
    Yep, they really are the bee's knee's of programming
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post

lol

Forum Guru
    Can't wait to see improvements made for the games shown on PS4 meeting at E3 2013.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    E3 is going to be i feel great this year.... The shame the PS4 was not revealed a couple of days back, but this makes this E3 a awesome one

Superior Member

Wouldn't Sony need to reserve a little bit of RAM for back ground things they've mentions like game downloading, voice chat, OS and such? If so, they wouldn't be able to let some games use all of the 8 gigs otherwise those features wouldn't work. Even if it is the case, I can't imagine more than 1 GB being reserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    Wouldn't Sony need to reserve a little bit of RAM for back ground things they've mentions like game downloading, voice chat, OS and such? If so, they wouldn't be able to let some games use all of the 8 gigs otherwise those features wouldn't work. Even if it is the case, I can't imagine more than 1 GB being reserved.
    you are correct. Like said earlier, the OS reserved RAM takes care of all these things. It will most certainly be less than 1GB

Thread Information