Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Arrow NVIDIA is continuing to be a partner for physics middleware on PlayStation 4

NVIDIA is continuing to be a partner for physics middleware on PlayStation 4

Recent announcement of Sony’s next-generation PlayStation 4 console has revealed that the new gaming system will be equipped with custom AMD GPU, capable of GPGPU computations – for example, physics simulation. To showcase its processing power, a live demo of GPU accelerated particle simulation, running on the Havok engine, was demonstrated during the event.

An opinions began to emerge, that NVIDIA PhysX SDK engine and PhysX Technology as a whole won’t find its place in the world of next-generation consoles and, thus, will be abandoned quickly.However, official “PlayStation 4 Tools & Middleware Developers” page says that “following middleware companies have their innovative technology solutions available right now to support PlayStation 4 developers”:

Since NVIDIA does not own any AI or Animation middleware, it is pretty clear that PhysX SDK physics engine is implied here. PhysX SDK will support PlayStation 4 and is already available for developers, as our sources, close to the industry, can confirm.

It is yet unclear, how the situation with GPU acceleration (you know, that “NVIDIA technology running on AMD hardware?!?!” stuff) will be handled on PS4 , but it is now certain – PhysX is here to stay.

On request

http://physxinfo.com/news/10531/nvid...playstation-4/
    Last edited by claud3; 02-25-2013 at 00:21.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    I have no idea if this is good or bad, I assume this is good news.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    This is good news. Nvidia are boss

Ultimate Veteran
    Good idea that nivdia has some engines.they hurt sony money wise with the rsx.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    if this is true, every PS4 game has the potential to look radically different to other versions

hopefully this is true because its good to see some use come of this tech, other than exclusivity to a card vendor.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Added the video for those that are interested and it was on request from a friend
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Apprentice
    ohhhhhh, I get it. So basically that type of technology is used for little things such as smoke effects or more so particle effects used such as smoke, sparkes, pieces of buildings, destruction, and stuff like that?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    PhysX running on AMD hardware doesnt always go well usually there still needs to be an Nvidia GPU somewhere.

PhsX is not just the fancy things show in the video it is also the less interesting stuff that makes the player (or whatever) move about the world and is calculated on the CPU for fairness since every computer tends to have a CPU.
    Please abide by the signature file size limit. Thanks. ~ Staff

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    ohhhhhh, I get it. So basically that type of technology is used for little things such as smoke effects or more so particle effects used such as smoke, sparkes, pieces of buildings, destruction, and stuff like that?
    its a physics simulation that runs on the GPU, whereas it usually would run on the CPU.

this method, however, is fast but approximative.

only a handful of games run it because Nvidia own it for use on their cards, and on the higher end stuff no less.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    its a physics simulation that runs on the GPU, whereas it usually would run on the CPU.

this method, however, is fast but approximative.

only a handful of games run it because Nvidia own it for use on their cards, and on the higher end stuff no less.
    So because the PS4 uses it than we should expect to see more of a use for it. So basically not only did PS4 manage to get involved with AMD as well as sticking in 8GB of GDDR5, but they also managed to get Nvidias physic technology into their system as well? $#@!in A, this system is getting BEAST.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    So because the PS4 uses it than we should expect to see more of a use for it. So basically not only did PS4 manage to get involved with AMD as well as sticking in 8GB of GDDR5, but they also managed to get Nvidias physic technology into their system as well? $#@!in A, this system is getting BEAST.
    if the article is correct of course

but i would agree, this would differentiate the PS4 version of games 10 times out of 10
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Guys its unlikely the fancy stuff int he video will work as good (if at all) on AMD GPU and forget about running it on a CPU.

The PhysX SDK also includes CPU based code which is for ragdolls player movements and collisions and a few other things in other words stuff that has to be universally accessible because not everyone uses Nvidia.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Guys its unlikely the fancy stuff int he video will work as good (if at all) on AMD GPU and forget about running it on a CPU.

The PhysX SDK also includes CPU based code which is for ragdolls player movements and collisions and a few other things in other words stuff that has to be universally accessible because not everyone uses Nvidia.
    indeed, its unlikely to be Nvidia's PhysX tech (which is quite sad), but the GPU in the PS4 has similariteis with GPGPU's - which is why Sony showed the havok physics demo running on the GPU - CUDA cores, to my knowledge, fall under GPGPU's don't they?

one can still hope though

Last edited by Fijiandoce; 02-25-2013 at 02:17.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    I have no idea if this is good or bad, I assume this is good news.
    Me too . But its to see those features in the game graphics.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

15. Likes Coconut_Crunch likes this post
    Elite Guru
    indeed, its unlikely to be Nvidia's PhysX tech (which is quite sad), but the GPU in the PS4 has similariteis with GPGPU's - which is why Sony showed the havok physics demo running on the GPU - CUDA cores, to my knowledge, fall under GPGPU's don't they?

one can still hope though
    I might just be reading you post wrong but CUDA is Nvidia's shader core counting metric, Radeon uses the Compute Unit (CU) means of counting this system.

It's difficult to say when a GPU is GPGPU capable since we have been seeing this concept in one form or another since about 2004. Essentially however a Direct X 9 (shader model 2) based GPU is essentially all you need to achieve GPGPU functionality, technically RSX is capable of using the GPU for alternative functions. Modern GPU's however are much more optimised for better data path execution and are simply on an entirely different level of efficiency.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabjabs View Post
    I might just be reading you post wrong but CUDA is Nvidia's shader core counting metric, Radeon uses the Compute Unit (CU) means of counting this system.

It's difficult to say when a GPU is GPGPU capable since we have been seeing this concept in one form or another since about 2004. Essentially however a Direct X 9 (shader model 2) based GPU is essentially all you need to achieve GPGPU functionality, technically RSX is capable of using the GPU for alternative functions. Modern GPU's however are much more optimised for better data path execution and are simply on an entirely different level of efficiency.
    you read my post right, i simply worded it poorly

i was trying to draw similarities between whatever the PS4 might be using (AMD most presumed) and Nvidia's PhysX on their cards. consoles not being a PC GPU, the possibility of running PhysX on a GPGPU setup(regardless of company) could be a real possibility.

it's such a shame that the tech is available to so few people though.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    i hope to see something that makes this an awesome thing

Elite Guru
    you read my post right, i simply worded it poorly

i was trying to draw similarities between whatever the PS4 might be using (AMD most presumed) and Nvidia's PhysX on their cards. consoles not being a PC GPU, the possibility of running PhysX on a GPGPU setup(regardless of company) could be a real possibility.

it's such a shame that the tech is available to so few people though.
    Oh yes from what I'm hearing GPGPU physics has a real place in this next generation, they might not have Cell for physics this generation but GPGPU can more than make up that difference.

I mean you can do this stuff on Wii U's GPU the only difference is you probably wouldn't want to on that machine simply due to the lack of performance available.

Power Member
    CUDA is a programming platform developed by Nvidia.
    CUDA is only available on Nvidia GPUs.

OpenCL and Direct compute are alternatives. Both these work on AMD or Nvidia.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    If you are using rendering software or other programs cough **Priemier** cough. otherwise CUDA cores isn't a big deal if you are a gamer, it doesn't do anything for you. o.O in more simple terms, CUDA cores come in handy with video editing. For a gamer it's pretty useless.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-25-2013 at 18:55.

Thread Information