Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS4′s Lineup Looks More PS3-Style Than PS2-Style

I heaped a lot of praise on the PlayStation 4 reveal for keeping things mostly focused on games.

It’s a great way to kick off the hype for a new console – in fact, it should really be the
    only way to do the job. These are game consoles; the focus should always be on the games.That said, so far it’s kind of hard to get excited about the games that were shown. Focusing on games first is one thing; focusing on games that have a good chance at revitalizing the PlayStation brand to its PS2 levels is quite another. Unfortunately for PS4, I’m getting more of a PS3 vibe than a PSone or PS2 vibe – and given the current state of the games industry, that could hold PS4 back from achieving massive success

Let’s take a look at four of PS4′s front-line first-party titles: Knack, Driveclub, Killzone: Shadow Fall, andinFAMOUS: Second Son. It’s a pretty good sample of four traditionally strong genres: the platformer, the driving simulator, the first-person shooter, and the action-adventure. That PlayStation 4 has representatives from each of these genres sounds like a good thing, right? And, to be fair, each of these games actually does look like it’s probably really well-made.

The problem is that these games don’t look like anything particularly standout.
    Knack is touting the fact that Mark Cerny helped design old-school PSone and PS2 titles like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, and Jak & Daxter, but the live footage we’ve seen so far for Knack seems to be missing the level of character and charm that those games had. I read a great line somewhere describing the section of the game that Mr. Cerny played using Vita Remote Play: “Running through gray hallways? Sounds like fun.”

And since – totally by coincidence – I’ve actually been digging into the old Crash games… yeah, so far I can’t say that Knack looks like a spiritual successor to the games of that era in any sense of the word. It looks more like the other cinematic-heavy games of the PS3 generation. Maybe as we see more gameplay and less storythis impression will change, but Sony’s going to have to show me the money before I’ll believe it.

As for Driveclub, while it certainly looks great and likely exists to feed Gran Turismo fans during the long waits in-between games, I’m a bit concerned about whether now is the right time to debut another high-detail driving sim. Direct competition with other major players in a genre is good, but offering games that are truly differentiating are better. Assuming that Driveclub is a launch title, it’ll be debuting at the same time as Slightly Mad’s Project CARS, a game that’s actually hitting all current platforms. I’m not sure that the game’s social elements and high level of detail – the latter being a pretty common denominator among racing sims – are going to be enough to turn it into an instant genre success.

Besides, while it may be true that many Sony fans eat up driving sims, I don’t think that necessarily means Sony needs to invest its own resources in two franchises within that category. We’re not talking something like a platformer, an action-adventure, or an RPG where two different IP can present different worlds, characters, and so on to add diversity and value to a platform’s image – this is a genre that takes real cars and puts them in the real world.

The other two big first-party Sony properties – Killzone andinFAMOUS – are definitely good to have around, but havenever actually been tremendous sellers. Both of them seem to have capped out at below three million units at their respective series peaks. While that’s actually a pretty respectable number, in today’s more expensive game development environment it’s certainly not as impressive as it once was. We’ve seen developers go in the red with more unit sales than that.

And I’m not knocking either franchise, by the way. They just haven’t shown themselves to be system sellers – and if there’s anything a new console needs, it’s system sellers. And while we’re on the subject of system sellers, there’s something that I think needs to be made clear: Diablo III isn’t going to sell systems. Destinyisn’t going to sell systems. Watch_Dogs isn’t going to sell systems. And if Final Fantasy goes the path of the last few entries, I don’t think Sony can count on its former ace in the hole, either.

This was a big problem faced by Vita in its first year – despite a number of solid franchises getting representation, nothing seemed to really turn Vita into a “must-have” device. Unless Sony pulls a serious rabbit out of its hat at E3 – a distinct possibility, to be sure – PS4 looks like it might run into the same.

The games lineup is all looking quite good. There’s no doubt about that. But it’s looking “good” in the “hardcore gamer” and “artistic” PS3 sort of way, not the PSone or PS2 “tons of options for mass-market consumers” sort of way. PSone and PS2′s wide market appeal led to serious long-term success for both platforms, even after their successors were released. PS3 has, by contrast, been more of a slow success, with a quicker and more painful decline. That’s not a model that Sony fans should want the company to emulate – especially given that the “hardcore” market seems to be dwindling with each passing year

For PS4 to be the great success of its generation, it needs to focus on the missing PS2 gamers, not just on PS3 gamers. And while as a big fan of the libraries of PSone and PS2 I’d love to see that happen, I’m not convinced yet.
    http://gengame.net/2013/02/ps4s-line...han-ps2-style/
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ancient
    Yeah where was fantavision 2?
    seriously the PS2 launch games wasn't anything to put on the pedestal

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Yeah where was fantavision 2?
    seriously the PS2 launch games wasn't anything to put on the pedestal

Sent via Codec
    The PS2 launch games generally weren't reviewed all too highly--mostly average scores, but it did have quite a bit of variety for launch, at least the US launch.

Quality wise Killzone Shadow Fall is easily going to be better than anything PS2 had for launch though.

And I totally disagree on the Knack thing. I already like what I'm seeing more than anything to do with Crash. Knack seems to have a soul, Crash was just a flat cartoon--a lovable one but still nothing deep.

Ultimate Veteran
    The era of the "System Sellers" is a bit of a thing of the past. You can't really compare videogame machines that launched with a $200-$300 pricetag to the current and next-gens. In the PS1s case, it launched back when dedicated videocards were a novelty in PCs.

This technology is not only pricey, but also vital to making consoles relevant in game design today. Budgets for games are also worlds different than the pre-HD era. There will always be classic franchises that push a console, but the reality is that the sales are incredibly seasonal as a result of the actual purchase of the hardware being more prohibitive of being a casual purchase.

In short, the days where you could play a must-have game at a friends house and come home with a game console of your own are kind of over. You're more likely to wait for Christmas or a tax refund. That means having a solid lineup of games across the board is more critical than ever. I think people just need to get with the times.
    Last edited by Lefein; 02-25-2013 at 05:53.

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    Probably a little too much nostalgia. The PS1 and PS2 reveals didn't resemble what would become the PS1 and PS2. It takes time to build up a great library of games.

I believe the PS2 reveal only had a Ape Escape demo, FFVIII ballroom demo and a GT2000 playable demo. I might be missing one or two but I don't think there was much else noteworthy as far as games went with the PS2 reveal.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

7. Likes Mo-green28 likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    ..Lol +Rep Kyle

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Power Member
    Well that was a pointless read.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    The PS2 launch games generally weren't reviewed all too highly--mostly average scores, but it did have quite a bit of variety for launch, at least the US launch.

Quality wise Killzone Shadow Fall is easily going to be better than anything PS2 had for launch though.

And I totally disagree on the Knack thing. I already like what I'm seeing more than anything to do with Crash. Knack seems to have a soul, Crash was just a flat cartoon--a lovable one but still nothing deep.
    I agree. Killzone Shadow Fall is easily going to be better than anything PS2 title.

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

Veteran
    A launch lineup is commonly weaker than the yearly lineups that follow them and tend to not indicate how the library goes from there. I wasn't really expecting that a ho-hum library of launch games was going to surprise people or raise theories these days (I actually thought the PS4 launch lineup thus far, while not totally strong, was better than your typical launch library, but I digress).

Also, I thought the PS3-esque lineup of games was a good (dare I say, logical?) move. A terrible climate change of unfriendly hardware architecture and competitor pressure that alienated developers away from Sony is what severely hampered the PS3 library, not the "business model" of the library itself. If anything, the model is a strong one because it encourages a healthy amount of exclusive software each year while keeping the 3rd-party support relevant along the way.

I have no problem with PS4 following suit with that, especially when the console itself is currently poised to change the climate back into Sony's favor (friendly and competitive architecture to win back dev relationships). If this holds true, then PS4's library has potential to be what PS3's library should have been because of, and not in spite of, the idea that it would carry on the same model of the PS3 library.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this writer seemed misguided in his analysis of the past.
    Last edited by Bio; 02-25-2013 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    lol +rep Yeah the author is overly nostalgic I think.

Master Poster
    We haven't even seen the damn system itself though.....I think judging its line up (With Killzone being the only game confirmed) right now is a little premature
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Apprentice
    I think the launch games for the PS4 or what I assume are launch games are 10x better than PS1 and PS2. I understand people have the urge to always talk about the previous systems as if they are the best and that's fine but, I think the PS4 with a few of the launch games shown has already outdone the PS1 and PS2. Watchdogs is a launch title and that game already has me hyped up so that right there is already better than the PS2 launch. lol I liked the PS2, I liked the PS2 games but so far the PS4 looks to be topping that.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    @article:

Cool story bro. *chews popcorn*
    Be Together - Not the same.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    OMG, I could only hope it was more PS3 like than PS2 like in terms of games. We're moving forward with gaming, not backwards. I'm sorry, I've played a fair number of those games recently, and they tend to suck in comparison to this generation. Not just graphically, but in terms of story play and controls. OMG some of the controls are frigging frustrating even the ones that they ported over to the PS3 w/ improved graphics like the Laura Croft games and Sly Cooper. Playing them had me

PS2 was great for it's day, and sure there's some nostalgia still there. But there will be plenty this generation to keep those style players still happy. I'm sure Ratchet and Clank will continue, we'll see more of Sackboy, etc.

But God of War style took over towards the end of PS2 and Uncharted types dominated, because that's what major console gamers want.

The exception is the Mario world. Nintendo built a franchise around it, and they do a good job. Everything outside of that world on Nintendo falls flat on it's face. I don't want a bunch of Mario games. If I did, I'd probably own a Wii U. The Wii in our house might get used a couple times of year at most for the last 3yrs. Heck the two Move only games I have get more use than that.

Thread Information