Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I will use it for smaller indie style games but there is no way in friggin hell that I'm downloading a 20GB game, I will use the blu-ray for that shiat.

Also, it's true that digital should be cheaper. Especially on the PS3 where you can only redownload it like 5 times then you have to buy it again or something like that. Still, it's good for smaller and cheaper games but I sure as hell will not do it for bigger games. Regardless of the PS4 able to download the game in the backgroun while I'm playing, it just doesn't sit well with me for buying a full 20GB+ game on the online store and not getting a physical copy. There are a few reasons for this.

- you can't sell that copy anymore once you download it, so good luck recycling your games for getting other games cheaper, it wont happen unless you are lucky at that specific time on amazon that you get a deal.

- you are still probably limited to a number of redownloads.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-26-2013 at 15:29.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    One thing that I do hope that comes out of this, if I buy a physical copy of a game and I have to register it in some way I want to be able to download that title to all my consoles that I own so I could play it on several machines with only having to buy one copy of the title (and not need to disc to actually play it). I know on Google's Play store when you but something it links to your e-mail, so all the devices associated with that e-mail can use that software.
    I think the key word here is HOPE. I will hope for this as well, but my expectation is that this will not be supported.

The only way that makes this feasible is if you register it and the disc only plays on your system from then on (or until a re-registration fee is payed) so this would implact used game market. Also, if it get's re-registered, then any DD version now becomes invalid.

This IMO would be a very messy affair, and I don't see Sony doing this.

Also, I've almost always been able to find New Copies of the Disc for a lower price than a title itself for DD pricing. And after a couple months, it's often significantly cheaper to buy on Disc.

The only games I've done DD's for which have had a Disc alternative have been PS+ free games.

Super Elite
    To download GB's of data you will need a fat pipe to get that much data down your line.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    To download GB's of data you will need a fat pipe to get that much data down your line.
    While some people still have really slow data connections, I think for a lot of us > 10Mbps data connections are reasonable, putting a 20GB download in the < 5hr range.

That said, the current bottle neck is sitting on the Sony network side. I've got 2x the data connection speed and there's no way I could ever DL 20GB in something close to this timeframe in even close to that amount of time.

Sony will have to do a major networking overhaul, not just to support this, but also to be able to support Gaikai on PS4.

Add to the fact that you can leave it in a low power state and it still download, and that you can start playing the game with a partial DL, that makes this a much more feasible DL solution. I'll still primarily purchase Discs, but I think this is much more feasible than last generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    While some people still have really slow data connectio
    Maybe in the States.

AU and NZ have notoriously slower speeds for western countries. And I am of the understanding that the UK is only marginally better.

Let's not pretend America is the only market.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Guru
    That said, the current bottle neck is sitting on the Sony network side. I've got 2x the data connection speed and there's no way I could ever DL 20GB in something close to this timeframe in even close to that amount of time.
    Download times have gotten better, Ni No Kuni was well under hour..
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Maybe in the States.

AU and NZ have notoriously slower speeds for western countries. And I am of the understanding that the UK is only marginally better.

Let's not pretend America is the only market.
    LOL, I wasn't talking about just America, if I were I would have said so. Actually the US is 12th for average broadband speeds at least as of 1yr ago. I may have been a little bit aggressive when I suggested > 10Mbps for most of us, but I think that's still realistic (just not when averaged down with the DSL boys.)

New Zealand comes in at 46th w/ 3.9Mbps average and Australia at 40th w/ 4.3Mbps according to a slightly newer report.

So, I wouldn't cry too much

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    LOL, I wasn't talking about just America, if I were I would have said so. Actually the US is 12th for average broadband speeds at least as of 1yr ago. I may have been a little bit aggressive when I suggested > 10Mbps for most of us, but I think that's still realistic (just not when averaged down with the DSL boys.)

New Zealand comes in at 46th w/ 3.9Mbps average and Australia at 40th w/ 4.3Mbps according to a slightly newer report.

So, I wouldn't cry too much
    I still don't think it'd be fast enough though!

1gb takes about 15-30 minutes. ON a good day. When you're not throttled. And when it's off-peak.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Download times have gotten better, Ni No Kuni was well under hour..
    Hum, I want to say inFamous 2, which I downloaded in Dec. at 15GB was about 12hrs for me.

And just what data speeds are you getting? At 21.7GB for Ni No Kuni a 1hr DL would mean an average rate of 49Mbps

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I still don't think it'd be fast enough though!

1gb takes about 15-30 minutes. ON a good day. When you're not throttled. And when it's off-peak.
    I'm not going to say that some people won't be in the boat, and with existing PSN network, I've never seen anything better. The infrastructure tends to be the bottlenecks that I see, whether it be Sony or what's between Sony network and my cablemodem.

I think we are much more reasonable that many people can handle this. Again, I personally will be purchasing most of my content on disc and I don't feel this generation (and I've said this many times before on the forum) has an adequate amount of users that can get sufficient broadband services to sustain a DL only system.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I'm not going to say that some people won't be in the boat, and with existing PSN network, I've never seen anything better. The infrastructure tends to be the bottlenecks that I see, whether it be Sony or what's between Sony network and my cablemodem.

I think we are much more reasonable that many people can handle this. Again, I personally will be purchasing most of my content on disc and I don't feel this generation (and I've said this many times before on the forum) has an adequate amount of users that can get sufficient broadband services to sustain a DL only system.
    Oh I agree with you. Was just saying it'd be a pain for some countries.

I'll be mainly on disc unless I feel that it'd be better to be on HDD (like I said in an earlier post, RPGs, sandbox games etc).

The only thing that would stop me from being predominantly switching are 1) Data caps 2) DL Speed 3) HDD capacity and 4) ability to trade in some games.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    I wonder If Sony will start comparing physical sales vs Digital sales to see If they can go full digital? Sounds like a hidden agenda to me.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Every game has to be downloaded I'm I hearing that right? Freaking A. Hope they mean released along side physical copies.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yep I have to rely on att wireless broadband where my house is. I'm screwed when it comes to anything heavy on broadband. I wish they would get off their asses and at least put DSL there!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Guru
    Hum, I want to say inFamous 2, which I downloaded in Dec. at 15GB was about 12hrs for me.

And just what data speeds are you getting? At 21.7GB for Ni No Kuni a 1hr DL would mean an average rate of 49Mbps
    When source isn't a problem I get pretty close to limits of my 100Mb/s cable..
    Speed test usually goes around ~70-80Mb.

Will test when I get to home.
    Last edited by jlippone; 02-27-2013 at 06:45.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I will use it for smaller indie style games but there is no way in friggin hell that I'm downloading a 20GB game, I will use the blu-ray for that shiat.

Also, it's true that digital should be cheaper. Especially on the PS3 where you can only redownload it like 5 times then you have to buy it again or something like that. Still, it's good for smaller and cheaper games but I sure as hell will not do it for bigger games. Regardless of the PS4 able to download the game in the backgroun while I'm playing, it just doesn't sit well with me for buying a full 20GB+ game on the online store and not getting a physical copy. There are a few reasons for this.

- you can't sell that copy anymore once you download it, so good luck recycling your games for getting other games cheaper, it wont happen unless you are lucky at that specific time on amazon that you get a deal.

- you are still probably limited to a number of redownloads.
    That is not how it works. You can re-download your purchases as many times as you want, but can can only download it to 2 systems that your PSN ID is attached to. (This used to be 5, hence the confusion you are having) If your PS3 breaks or you sell it, you can disconnect your PSN ID from that console on the sony website, and then are able to attach to another, no more then 2 at a time, and you can only change consoles once every 6 months.

Thread Information