Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Eidos Pres - X Brand system always online, blocks used games

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/xbox-720...ident-6404465?

This should have huge repurcussions for the PS4 seeing as how we cave confirmation that Sony is not implementing always online DRM for the system nor will it block used games.
    Last edited by Lefein; 02-26-2013 at 16:20.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    There is a very real chance that MS might be falling into the same trap Sony did this generation. Sony was all high and mighty on their high horse because of the huge success of the PS2, they thought people would eat anything up that they threw at them. Because of the success of the 360 this gen I think MS are thinking the same thing.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    Not a confirmation, but pretty damning evidence.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    If this is the case. I may only get a PS4. Sad to say.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think this guy is just going off the rumors. He said 'supposedly'.

There's no way Microsoft is doing this if Sony isn't, unless Microsoft has something amazing up their sleeve as a trade-off.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think this guy is just going off the rumors. He said 'supposedly'.

There's no way Microsoft is doing this if Sony isn't, unless Microsoft has something amazing up their sleeve as a trade-off.
    I'd be inclined to agree with this.. it would be a disaster if they done it knowing Sony ain't. Unless of course they know something we don't.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    How difficult would it be to change this?

For example, if hypothetically MS did release the console with this used game blocking technology, and it utterly bombs, would they be able to quickly launch new models that do away with this feature?

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Damn, it's like watching someone kick his own ass. o.O

what happens when microsoft gets to big headed and thinks they are all that.

Hole Finder - Mind the Ga
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    My position is the same as when this was rumoured for the PS4. Frankly I support it. If you want innovative and bleeding edge games then you need to be remunerating those that develop them. The more the games make, the more gets reinvested into growing the teams and creating even bigger and better games. The only thing that I think is important is that the titles are available at a reasonable cost. It's far more worrying to me that the recent trend is games being priced at 49.99 in the UK.

I should add that neither this guy, nor Edge have any hard evidence whatsoever of this being true and I highly suspect it isn't.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Elder
    Lol at kicking own ass.

They cant be this dumb. Just in case they are could a FW update reverse it?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    My position is the same as when this was rumoured for the PS4. Frankly I support it. If you want innovative and bleeding edge games then you need to be remunerating those that develop them. The more the games make, the more gets reinvested into growing the teams and creating even bigger and better games. The only thing that I think is important is that the titles are available at a reasonable cost. It's far more worrying to me that the recent trend is games being priced at 49.99 in the UK.

I should add that neither this guy, nor Edge have any hard evidence whatsoever of this being true and I highly suspect it isn't.

what happens here is you don't make more in volume though. What I mean by that is, your fanbase for whatever next game you make will still be hesitant. This is also extremely bad for indie devs that are trying to make their company grow. There is no reason at all for a console to set a use games ban, that is up to the game creators, not the console makers.

So lets say games for the next xbox aren't allowed. now you have more gamers that are hesitant to by said game because they are forced to buying it new. Not everyone goes to gamestop and quite frankly someone should shove a cucumber up the ass of the bigwig running gamestop and selling used games for $55 vs. $60. Anyway, a lot of people buy used games on amazon or ebay even. If games can't circulate that much then you have a future problem when making a new game later down the road. You want as many people to get their hands on a new copy of course, but you don't want to handicap your own business which banning used games would cause.

Also, in order to ban use games competely you have to have a online only (digital download only) console system. With such a system you have just $#@!ed over many indie devs as well as mainstream devs. You may think this doesn't make sense but it does because now their games can't get in the hands of gamers that would give them a future profit or like EA for example of future profit and rising shares.

EA is a very good example of what not to do, take a good look at their stocks. Ever since they started that origin bull$#@! EA stock as been dropping. rising a bit but dropping more while rising a bit more and dropping even more.

EA started doing the always online $#@! and look at what's happening to them. lol
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-26-2013 at 16:49.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I have a hard time believing this. Don't think Microsoft will cripple themselves like this.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    I have a hard time believing this. Don't think Microsoft will cripple themselves like this.
    It IS ​Microsoft...
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    i posted this yesterday in the xbox section i realy hope ms dont do this or sony they will lose lots of gamers

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    i posted this yesterday in the xbox section i realy hope ms dont do this or sony they will lose lots of gamers
    No they won't. o_0
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Of note, it was confirmed yesterday that the PS4 version of Diablo III would not have an always online requirement. Just for reference sake. If you've been following that, it's actually a pretty big deal since the PC version was tethered to this kind of system and caught some heat for it.

Veteran

The only thing you will be growing are the pockets of the fat cats at the top, the shareholders, who could not give one $#@! about the product that they are putting out.

You will get less and less game content for more and more money.

With that said, I don't believe that MS is stupid enough to go through with this.

18. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    If Microsoft do it then I reckon Sony will too.

Sony have patented technology to 'deal' with used games, if it isn't adversely effecting nextbox then I see Sony implementing it at some point. Or maybe just going all in at launch

PSU Live Streamer

I get what you're saying, but this causes more damage then intended in my opinion. Gone are the days of trading/lending games to friends for the weekend. Or even something as simple going to a friends place with a multiplayer game and playing it together. I get it, I get it, it doesnt help the devs.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    This should have huge repurcussions for the PS4 seeing as how we cave confirmation that Sony is not implementing always online DRM for the system nor will it block used games.
    guess you don't know then..

Last week Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that used games will function on PlayStation 4, but did not clarify whether players would have 'original owner rights' to second hand games, or need to pay for online passes to access the content.
    Pushed on the issue, Sony's Denny would only acknowledge that the firm would do what it sees as "the right thing" by both consumers and the development community.
    "It's not something that I feel I have any further announcement or comment to make on, other than to acknowledge with you that it's a massively important issue and of course we are going to do the right thing," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Of note, it was confirmed yesterday that the PS4 version of Diablo III would not have an always online requirement. Just for reference sake. If you've been following that, it's actually a pretty big deal since the PC version was tethered to this kind of system and caught some heat for it.
    Yeah. I'm surprised they are not trying to force Battlenet down your throat like on PC. I wonder how they will do the auction house and what not. I guess they are not as worried about item dupping on consoles since it's not open.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Flaw3d Genius

Where are you buying your games from lol???

I just bought...

Ni No Kuni 34.99
    Tomb Raider pre ordered 31.85 (Xbox)
    GOW Asc pre ordered 38.86
    Crysis 3 37 (Xbox)

You seriously need to buy your games elsewhere if your getting charged 49.99.

Ultimate Veteran

Administrator
    Neogaf... =\

Forum Sage
    Haha we're rushing into conclusions with no evidences so far. I don't think Microsoft will make an utter stupid move to keep gamers away. They're competing to each other from day 1 so any advantage will be critical for both.

I'll keep my opinion until then... April is not that far ahead.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Thread Information