Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony: Stance On Used Games Isn't Final

From an interview with PlayStation's UK MD:

Two of the major rumours going round prior to the announcement of next-gen consoles – obviously we’re still waiting to see what Microsoft does – is that always online connections are required and second-hand games would be blocked. Now the PS4 announcement shows neither of those to be true, were either of those avenues ever explored?

Well first of all, we haven’t stated that second-hand games… we haven’t made a statement on the second-hand games question. There was a lot of reaction to a patent that was filed, which is a matter of course for a technology business like us, to file various patents at various times, many of which many never see any application but they are good to have depending on ideas that might be building.

So what we’re here to do is offer the best value and the best gaming experience for gamers. The answer to the pre-owned question isn’t clarified just yet and we’re working through that and we’ll announce our position in more detail as and when we can.
    His mention of the patent makes me think they won't be using that approach, but rather something more reasonable.

This is worrying to hear though. We'll see...
    Last edited by Ixion; 02-26-2013 at 16:52.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    From an interview with PlayStation's UK MD:

His mention of the patent makes me think they won't be using that approach, but rather something more reasonable.

This is worrying to hear though. We'll see...
    I dunno he pretty much said nothing with a lot of words. I can't read a confirm or denial out of this statement.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I think MS and Sony do actually want to do it, but they aren't willing to do it alone.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    I dunno he pretty much said nothing with a lot of words. I can't read a confirm or denial out of this statement.
    But if he's not going to deny it, that means they're obviously doing something.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    the article clearly states this as before the announcement which it says of course. However, I wouldn't look to much into this. This isn't worrying to hear and I doubt Sony is going to ban used games. This sounds more like something Microsoft would do because they always want to control everything.

There was also an announcement made after the PS4 event which they stated they aren't going to ban used games for the PS4.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-26-2013 at 16:57.

Elite Guru
    I have read suggestions that they could block out Achievements/Trophies on used copies of games. Meaning if you wanted to earn them you'd need to buy "new". That is just some speculations from people though and not true factual information.

Ultimate Veteran
    sony wont block used games on the ps5 they might but not now. i think they are waiteing for ms to say so frist

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    sony wont block used games on the ps5 they might but not now. i think they are waiteing for ms to say so frist
    Maybe they're waiting for MS to strike first so they can laugh all the way to the bank. :-0
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Then my stance on PS4 isn't final.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    What if both systems end up doing this bullsh^t?
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Yeah I understand what you mean.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Yes, they're doing something. They're seriously considering implementing a scheme to prevent or make it less appealing to get games 2nd hand.

For all we know they have multiple options for doing this. The DRM'd disc, the online registration of the disc (least likely at this point), etc.

That said, they know there will be serious backlash from the community on this. They've gone through this before with the XCP DRM scandal in 2005.

I don't think they're willing to go this alone, but if MS does something similar, they'd be willing to do it together.

The reality is the people who really want this the most are the Game Dev/Publishing houses. We could have a situation where one or more of the Game Dev/Publishing houses negotiates this out of both MS and Sony.

I can say with fair degree certainty if one implemented a way to prevent (or at lest make it economically unfeasible) used game sales and the other did not. Then the one not implementing it would end up winning this generation (please don't toss the Wii U in there. IMHO it's the last of the 7th generation, not the first of the 8th generation.)

I think both MS and Sony realize this, and while game devs / publishing houses will push for this. Unless they both do it, neither will do it.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    or or or or or maybe Sony wants MS to think they are going to do it which in turn MS will follow suite but once they do Sony wont do it which will cause MS to mess themselves up, be a system no one wants because it blocks used games?

PSU Live Streamer
    Sony stated they won't BAN used games. They didn't say they wouldn't charge a $10 fee to unlock a used game to play it. Technically thats not banning the game.

In the end, why do people really care? When have you ever saved a ton of money buying used?

I don't know about where you guys live, but where I live if you buy a 2 weeks old game off the used shelf you save $5? Who cares? $5 isn't worth getting a game that may or may not be complete in package or mishandled.

Wait a few months and buy it for $20? $30? $40? In some cases the game is old enough already that it has naturally dropped in price by that much and its still new.

I don't know about you guys. But buying used has no value in my opinion these days.
    Last edited by shepard; 02-26-2013 at 17:54.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Sony stated they won't BAN used games. They didn't say they wouldn't charge a $10 fee to unlock a used game to play it. Technically thats not banning the game.

In the end, why do people really care? When have you ever saved a ton of money buying used?

I don't know about where you guys live, but where I live if you buy a 2 weeks old game off the used shelf you save $5? Who cares? $5 isn't worth getting a game that may or may not be complete is package or mishandled.

Wait a few months and buy it for $20? $30? $40? In some cases the game is old enough already that it has naturally dropped in price by that much and its still new.

I don't know about you guys. But buying used has no value in my opinion these days.
    I save a boatload of cash on used games. I usually wait until I can get a game for $30 before buying. That could be used or used but being able to buy 2 games for the price of one is a pretty good savings.

I recently picked up Forza Horizon, Darksiders 2, Skyrim and Dishonored for $89.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

For sure man!! i'll be a full time PC gamer hell I practically am now playing SWTOR.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post

I don't know about where you guys live, but where I live if you buy a 2 weeks old game off the used shelf you save $5? Who cares? $5 isn't worth getting a game that may or may not be complete in package or mishandled.

it would just be as bad as you couldn't play it on a Friends & Family members console without having to pay to have it unlocked each time

Ultimate Veteran
    maybe new games will drop in price faster. there are still year old games still selling for 60 dollar which is bull.
    unless they pay 5 dollars to play used games is not bad and the game maker gets the 5 bukcs

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    What if both systems end up doing this bullsh^t?
    I'll get a WiiU and upgrade my PC.

Administrator
    Well Sony already confirmed they're not going to block used games, so you don't really need to worry about that (except for a possible fee). We'll see what MS ends up doing, though.

I really like Gamefly... and it would absolutely retarded for either company to block used games.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    it would just be as bad as you couldn't play it on a Friends & Family members console without having to pay to have it unlocked each time
    This I agree with you on, fully.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I have read suggestions that they could block out Achievements/Trophies on used copies of games. Meaning if you wanted to earn them you'd need to buy "new". That is just some speculations from people though and not true factual information.
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Sony could really put themselves in some serious ish doing something like that.

Apprentice
    I think people should take a deep breath and wait to see what happens. It's like everyone is getting all jumped up but nothing has been announced for it.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Yeah for me the problem isn't with buying used games as I rarely do that, but I often borrow and let others borrow games. Would suck balls if we couldn't do that anymore.

It's already annoying with online passes.

Elite Guru
    Yeah I sometimes let my brother borrow my games but he can't play some of them online due to the online pass. The online pass idea as it is right now is stupid in my opinion.

Thread Information