Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Comparing PS3 and PS4 specs: what it means for everyday use

PlayStation 4 is obviously going to be a much more powerful system than its predecessor. But, PS4 will improve upon many other facets of the system beyond just prettier graphics. By looking at Sony's officially released documentation [PDF] on PS4 specifications, we can see some of the more subtle changes coming to Sony's next console.
    Faster Blu-ray drive
    For example, the Blu-ray drive gets a significant boost on PS4. The slow 2x drive found on PS3 proved to be a bottleneck for some games, as its 9MB/sec transfer rate was actually slower than the DVD drive found on Xbox 360. While Blu-ray can store many times more data than DVD, the slower transfer rate meant that developers had to deploy many tricks to compensate. For example, many developers opted to have large HDD installs which led to Capcom's infamous advice to "go make a sandwich and grab a soda, then come on back" during a PS3 game installation. With the 6x drive of PS4, we may never have to sit through lengthy mandatory install screens ever again.
    USB 3.0
    PS4 comes equipped with USB 3.0 ports, which were unavailable when PS3 launched in 2006. The upgrade enables significantly higher transfer speeds (up to 4.8Gbps). A potential benefit could be the ability to reliably use external hard drives to expand PS4 capacity. Although PS3 allowed users to open the chassis and replace the hard drive, many will likely prefer the simplicity of plugging in a USB 3.0 hard drive instead.
    In addition, USB 3.0 can transfer up to 80% more power, which will be especially helpful in charging any USB-powered accessories. Recharging a DualShock controller, for example, should be a far more speedy affair.
    Recharging PS4 controllers should take far less time
    Wireless N
    Although every PS3 includes wi-fi built-in, it is notoriously slow. Try plugging in your PS3 directly, and you'll see download speeds more than double. Sony's upgraded the network support in PS4 by providing a card that not only supports the 802.11 b and g standards, but the new n standard as well. This should result in significantly greater speed and range for those that opt to use PS4 wirelessly.
    Bluetooth 2.1
    PS4 includes support for Bluetooth 2.1. While a miniscule numeric jump from PS3's support for 2.0, the improved functionality should make it much easier to pair devices with the PS4. Crucially, the 2.1 standard allows devices to pair via NFC. Sony's "one touch sharing" feature was a big talking point during the company's CES keynote, and it would be incredibly surprising if similar functionality wasn't included in PS4.
    DualShock 4
    Sony's upgraded DualShock is loaded with added functionality, from a touch pad to PlayStation Move-inspired motion controls. DualShock 4 will likely consume far more power than its predecessors--but the controller has a heftier battery to help compensate. DS4 features more than 60% greater battery capacity than DS3, but weighs only 0.6 ounces more. While initial prototypes of the controller appeared bulky, it appears holding the DS4 will not be unlike using a DS3.
    Here's another picture of DualShock 4, because we don't know what the PS4 looks like
    With PS4 incorporating many of the tech advances that have occurred since the launch of PS3, using Sony's next home console should be far easier, and far more connected. Of course, many questions still remain regarding the hardware. For example, how many USB ports will there be (and will any be located behind the system)? Will the box still include composite cables instead of HDMI? And most crucially, how much will this all cost?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/779...s-for-everyday
    Last edited by berts08; 02-26-2013 at 22:20.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Actually i am a bit disappointed with the lack of touch screen, i don't know what kinda purpose a touch pad will serve, just some stupid gestures.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Yeah I'm not keen on the touch pad thing either and unless it is mandatory to use in games I'll probably never touch it. I also hope it is not mandatory in games. Rather just play games the normal way.

Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Wireless N and USB 3 makes me very happy.

Ultimate Veteran
    nice upgrade's i think th new blu ray drive will help

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    it could be for anything. They could use it in FPS multiplayer games for your mic. Tap it once activates your mic, tapping it again deactivates the mic. This would be nice because you wouldn't hear random coughing through the mic which I hear all the time on BF3.

It can also function as an a button or zoom feature for other games.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I like the fact the BR Drive will be faster. A lot of great updates and I look forward to getting my PS4

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    You know we don't know if the DS4 actually has a Mini USB 3.0 port (I'm guessing not since every USB 3.0 B plug looked like some aweful welded on expansion ) Then again I haven't been keeping up with it's progress so whatdaIknow

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Actually i am a bit disappointed with the lack of touch screen, i don't know what kinda purpose a touch pad will serve, just some stupid gestures.
    I'm exceptionally glad it's not a touch screen. The pad itself I don't really care about but bare in mind it's also going to be clickable so is basically an extra button. I guess it will probably serve as 'select'.

I was kinda hoping they would add more buttons in general, sometimes you really feel like you need a few more. And with a bigger controller there's extra space to work with. Oh well

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I'm exceptionally glad it's not a touch screen. The pad itself I don't really care about but bare in mind it's also going to be clickable so is basically an extra button. I guess it will probably serve as 'select'.

I was kinda hoping they would add more buttons in general, sometimes you really feel like you need a few more. And with a bigger controller there's extra space to work with. Oh well
    I think it should have been on the bottom (and I was personally an advocate for an actual touch screen as well but this seems like it'll do)

Apprentice
    I orginally thought they would add two more buttons for the face buttons but they didn't. something more like this but with 2 extra shapes.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    If they can have some kind of creative application then great. One way I think we might see it used, for example, is trick moves in Fifa.

As long as they can find some cool ways to incorporate it. The Move part of the controller I don't see doing anything. They never peaked my interest with any uses of Sixaxis, and this is basically Sixaxis 2.0

Apprentice

I have faith they'll incorporate it well.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut_Crunch View Post
    I orginally thought they would add two more buttons for the face buttons but they didn't. something more like this but with 2 extra shapes.

Ew?

15. Likes GalapagosaraY likes this post
    Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Idk what's dumber, that controller in and of itself or the numbering order on the face buttons.

17. Likes DeRaddyoMoFo likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Wireless N and USB 3 makes me very happy.
    I still don't know what USB 3.0 is going to do for consoles. I know transfer rates will be faster for flash drives and what not but what other advantages are there?

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I still don't know what USB 3.0 is going to do for consoles. I know transfer rates will be faster for flash drives and what not but what other advantages are there?
    Faster controller charging, for one.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    Faster controller charging, for one.
    I wondered about that. I figured that was all dependent of the power that was sent to the USB. Shows how much tech knowledge I have.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    USB3 is cool. Let's hope for external HDD functionality like the 360. But without the size limitation.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    USB3 is cool. Let's hope for external HDD functionality like the 360. But without the size limitation.
    Yeah I would like External HDD functionality for sure. Got a 500 GB that I'm not using for much except Steam Back ups.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Bluetooth 2.1 means better battery life

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    USB 3.0 puts out more milliamps (900 versus usb 2.0 500) so it will charge devices a bit faster.
    It's a nice touch. My pc has 3.0 and I use it to charge my (non i)phone and it's fairly noticeable. Also got that nifty feature where I can turn my PC off and it continues to charge my devices...hopefully the PS4 brings the same.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    USB 3.0 puts out more milliamps (900 versus usb 2.0 500) so it will charge devices a bit faster.
    It's a nice touch. My pc has 3.0 and I use it to charge my (non i)phone and it's fairly noticeable. Also got that nifty feature where I can turn my PC off and it continues to charge my devices...hopefully the PS4 brings the same.
    I have 3.0 on my PC as well. I did notice the transfer rate is faster. I transferred my entire steam library in less than an hour. It was like 200gb. My External HDD is fairly slow too.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    I don't get why they are keeping support for wireless b. Seriously, who uses that any more? What devices still support that?
    A friend of mine told me that his old PSP possibly supported b only, but why would anyone want to connect PSP with PS4?
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    I don't get why they are keeping support for wireless b. Seriously, who uses that any more? What devices still support that?
    A friend of mine told me that his old PSP possibly supported b only, but why would anyone want to connect PSP with PS4?
    They have little control over it its the manufacturer of the cards I think all cards still support it case of bacwards compatability much like SATA 2 drives work on SATA 1 controllers and vice versa.

here is a network card that supports 802.11a
    http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/product...#1224669131091

a&b must be slow as heck G is what 50Mbits?
    Last edited by keefy; 02-27-2013 at 00:38.

Thread Information