Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

PS4 Jaguar CPU is AMD's "entry-level" architecture aimed at tablets, nettops

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/18...ture-Takes-the
    Should be able to give unpresedented performance for a console but nowhere near a high quality PC.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Optimization, optimization, optimization. No, it doesn't have nearly as many compute units in it's GPU to match a top of line graphics card. It's still no slouch, though.

It's also a slightly disingenuous comparison seeing as how a PC sits all of two feet from your face and that technology pushes graphics fidelity forward constantly as a result. That's real talk and I game on PC.

There's actually no practical necessity for a console to perform like a top of line PC. Never has been. Just be grateful that the GPU in both the PS4 and Durango will be relevant this time around. PS3 and 360 were DX9 in a DX10 world from the word go.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Mods please trash i found the original article that dispells this.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This has been known ever since it was announced as the PS4 CPU

But what people have to remember is that console Devs will get more out of that CPU than PC devs will as Gaming Devs will only have to program for specific parts unlike PC which come in a Multitude of different builds.

The PS3 only had a 7800 GPU which only had I think 256mb of VRAM which was fairly low end by PC standards especially against a 8800 card but look at the Graphics Sony devs managed to get out of that card.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Optimization, optimization, optimization.
    Optimization only goes so far, and no amount of optimization is going to make Jaguar outperform an Intel i7.

It's also a slightly disingenuous comparison seeing as how a PC sits all of two feet from your face and that technology pushes graphics fidelity forward constantly as a result. That's real talk and I game on PC.
    Just how old is your PC? It must be ancient if it doesn't have an HDMI output. If it has an HDMI output then surely you must know that it can connect to your HDTV just like any console.

There's actually no practical necessity for a console to perform like a top of line PC. Never has been.
    Necessity has never been a factor, it's simply a matter of cost. There is no way a $300-$500 console is going to outperform a $2000-$3000 high end gaming PC. High end gaming PCs have video cards that cost more than an entire console and that wouldn't be the case if the GPU in those video cards was cheap to produce.

It is nice that the new consoles are as capable as they are, and it is extremely nice that they are as developer friendly as they are. That will help raise the bar on multiplatform games tremendously and will benefit console and PC gamers alike. I'm quite happy knowing that the baseline of future multiplatform titles will be equal to a current mid-range gaming PC. It's a wonderful advancement IMO.

But any belief that these consoles are going to compete with a high end PC is just wishful thinking.

Thread Information