Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I think you're the one that lacks comprehension.

THE PS4 IS JAGUAR.

Therefore the A-Series is in no way related to the PS4 APU, and has NOTHING to do with this discussion.

Or do you not understand the basics of the APU in the PS4?
    Here's the quote again from the article
    He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    So, is that a bad idea or good?

CPU: I7 3820-GPU: Asus Gtx 980 4GB-Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79-HDD: Seagate 2TB-CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X-TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000-PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD-PS3 Slim 750GB-PS VITA 32GB.

http://www.psu.com/a018544/AMD-says-...-we-have-built
    “We have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market”
    "It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date."

Is AMD basically saying that PS4 is head and shoulders above Xbox Next?! (if rumours are true, AMD is providing the APU for Xbox Next as well!)

sry for double post, please delete this
    Last edited by baho; 02-28-2013 at 11:48.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    To me it sounds like the Jaguar, A-Series and HD 7xxx GPU had a three-way love child called the PS4 processor!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

6. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Yes, it has a GPU.

WOW.

Would you like me to actually explain this to you?

First, an AMD APU is a CPU and graphics processor on a single chip. AMD has two basic versions in the works that are Jaguar based. Temash and Kabini which both use the same CPU as the PS4, but with slightly different graphics solutions in each.

Temash which releases next month has a very basic graphics processor because it's designed for tablets. It is a 2 or 4 core Jaguar CPU coupled with a basic, stripped down graphics processor. Kabini which releases in summer has an 8000 series Mobility GPU combined with a 4 core Jaguar CPU. It's is designed for larger notebooks, and thus has more PC-like functions and performance.

Between the two, Kabini is most like the PS4 with the only major difference being the 4 core Jaguar rather than the 8 core Jaguar of the PS4. Both use Jaguar CPUs, both use 8000M based GPUs.

A-Series is an entirely different architecture from the PS4. It uses a different CPU, different RAM, and a different GPU than the PS4 will have. A-Series is a Piledriver CPU combined with a 7000 series GPU. It will support DDR3 RAM, not GDDR5. The only thing it has in common with the PS4 is that it's an AMD x86-64 APU.

A-Series is in no way related to the PS4, much less a "stripped down" version of the PS4. It's an entirely different architecture in every single way.

Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post

Is AMD basically saying that PS4 is head and shoulders above Xbox Next?! (
    Is the next-gen Xbox already publicly announced, built and on the market yet?

Pay attention to the "To date" part before you make assumptions. Their next-gen Xbox APU isn't announced yet, so "to date" it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 02-28-2013 at 16:28.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Yes, it has a GPU.

WOW.

This is what i read...

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla...

Okay. End.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by baho View Post

Is AMD basically saying that PS4 is head and shoulders above Xbox Next?! (if rumours are true, AMD is providing the APU for Xbox Next as well!)
    Thank u , thats what I was trying to say. But im always on my phone and keep my posts short.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I don't know why there is arguing about said chip. The so called "Jaguar" that is used in the PS4 is a customized chip, that means all the bells and whistles including speed will not be used in the PC version. However, They haven't even released the specs of the CPU so I don't understand how people in this topic are coming up with these wild theories when they don't even have 1 fact down, just ridiculous. o.O
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

11. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Still have not found anymore news on this, going to be looking more into this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    I think you're the one that lacks comprehension.

THE PS4 IS JAGUAR.

Therefore the A-Series is in no way related to the PS4 APU, and has NOTHING to do with this discussion.

Or do you not understand the basics of the APU in the PS4?

I don't see what you are getting at when AMD said it was part of the APU A-series, which was stated in the article. We all know it's called "Jaguar" but it's still a custom A-series chip.

"While Sony revealed some information about the AMD APU that will power the Playstation 4, the details that were made public were all about AMD's technologies rather than Sony's. AMD told The INQUIRER that the APU used is a custom A-series part that has a mix of AMD and Sony technology."

What that means it's not a previous APU from the A-Series but more of a future APU from the A-series but customized by both AMD and Sony. This in it's case will change when AMD releases this for a desktop, they will end up making it 4 cores rather than 8. This would be because they already have an 8 core CPU which is the 8350 Vishera. Most likely by next year the APU's will be 8 core anyway. Jaguar doesn't mean that it's not part of the A-series. You are basing a CPU because of the name, not the technology that's in it which is more than likely based on the A-series even though it's customized.

You don't work for AMD so you have no idea what is in the PS4's APU considering they already stated it was a customized APU as well as not release the specs of the PS4's APU. So whatever you try to pass on as a fact is pure bull$#@!. If AMD says it's part of the A-Series, then that is what it is, it's their chip, they designed it. honestly lol
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-28-2013 at 19:07.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I don't see what you are getting at when AMD said it was part of the APU A-series, which was stated in the article. We all know it's called "Jaguar" but it's still a custom A-series chip.

"While Sony revealed some information about the AMD APU that will power the Playstation 4, the details that were made public were all about AMD's technologies rather than Sony's. AMD told The INQUIRER that the APU used is a custom A-series part that has a mix of AMD and Sony technology."
    Like I said, it used a GPU.

An APU is a CPU and a GPU on a single chip. We know the CPU is Jaguar, so guess what "custom A-Series APU" part was used.

Forum Sage

AMD: "PS4 has the most powerful APU we ever produced"

AMD global business manager John Taylor has said the accelerated processing unit in the PlayStation 4 is the best the company has ever produced.
    “We have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market,” Taylor told the Inquirer.
    “It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date.”
    Taylor said the APU leverages new tech which will appear in AMD’s new generation A-series later this year, which will be sold directly to consumers.
    “None that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops,” he added.
    The PlayStation 4 has an x86 APU, and that AMD will be selling similar tech directly to PC users shows just how PC-like the console’s architecture is – but it’s worth remembering that the custom tech has been specially designed through a collaboration between the two companies, so you can’t just rebuild a PS4 in your basement.
    Sony hasn’t released full tech specs, but the console has 8GB of RAM and can churn out over 1.8 teraflops of processing power.
    Big words, from the mouth of the maker...

Wonder if it translates in real-world performance compared to Xbox 720s. Digital Foundry will have a crapload of trafic in their Face2Face, that's a fact.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/28/ps4-...-has-produced/

P.S. On the other hand... If I'm not mistaken... Durango doesn't feature an "APU" but separated CPU (IBM?) and GPU (AMD).
    Last edited by Aquanox; 03-01-2013 at 02:18.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    This APU is miles better faster and stronger

Apprentice
    I think this is good news for AMD and may give them the boost they need. I see good things with this partnership for APU's with Sony. Now I don't know much about APU's just that it's a cpu and gpu in one chip but, this is a good thing for both AMD and Sony.
    She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up.

http://youtu.be/5LxC3M-Yngs

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Maybe, even if PS4 is better slight visual and performance differences never killed anyone.
    Key features will be stuff like game recording, no more sites using BS composite cables or fiddling with other settings.
    Last edited by mickice; 03-01-2013 at 02:20.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Guru
    The PS4's APU is going to do work. No doubt about it.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    Big words, from the mouth of the maker...

Wonder if it translates in real-world performance compared to Xbox 720s. Digital Foundry will have a crapload of trafic in their Face2Face, that's a fact.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/28/ps4-...-has-produced/

P.S. On the other hand... If I'm not mistaken... Durango doesn't feature an "APU" but separated CPU (IBM?) and GPU (AMD).

See, this is where things get blurry to me. Both are SoC's.. But both may not be APU's. I dunno if the Durango has discreet parts or not.

I was under the impression they were both APU's.. But I cannot quite understand what truly differentiates the two.

Forum Sage
    It's confussing. They're reffering to the CPU. An APU is a CPU that has GPU capabilities... the PS4 has both an APU and a dedicated GPU.

AMD has made the PS4 CPU but not the Xbox 720 which seems will be radically different.

It gets even more confusing when he says this APU is the most powerful they've ever made. Most powerful than those CPUs on PCs?... or is he talking purely on raw theoretical teraflop numbers?

Remember the Cell had a much higher number of teraflops than anything else back then... but in reality, a high end PC CPU had a higher performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    See, this is where things get blurry to me. Both are SoC's.. But both may not be APU's. I dunno if the Durango has discreet parts or not.

I was under the impression they were both APU's.. But I cannot quite understand what truly differentiates the two.
    Last edited by Aquanox; 03-01-2013 at 03:18.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Power Member
    What he probably means there is that, in terms of APU's offered in the past and present by AMD (and they have been making them) the PS4 APU blows them all out of the water.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    It's confussing. They're reffering to the CPU. An APU is a CPU that has GPU capabilities... the PS4 has both an APU and a dedicated GPU.

AMD has made the PS4 CPU but not the Xbox 720 which seems will be radically different.

It gets even more confusing when he says this APU is the most powerful they've ever made. Most powerful than those CPUs on PCs?... or is he talking purely on raw theoretical teraflop numbers?

Remember the Cell had a much higher number of teraflops than anything else back then... but in reality, a high end PC CPU had a higher performance.
    When did the PS4 get a dedicated GPU along with an APU? From what I have read the PS4 will only have an APU.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Guru
    Ps4 is APU only, the dedicated GPU thing was from Orbis rumours that where wrong.

Master Guru

Thread Information