Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Question AMD to sell a cut down version of Sony's Playstation 4 APU

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne...ystation-4-apu

I might put this down as a rumor and not fact
    Last edited by claud3; 02-27-2013 at 15:16.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    It will be based on the same name as what Sony is currently using. What I find fascinating is they stating that Sony has the most powerful chip so I expect Microsoft to not have the most powerful unless of course they are going to intel but I doubt that. I can see AMD using a marketing strategy like this, think about it.

AMD didn't really have a good year until it was basically pointed out that Toms hardware and a few other sites doing benchmarks were purposely padding everything for Intel and Nvidia. When real user benchmarks were made the radeon GPU's were just as good but ran hotter, the FPS rating weren't that much bigger to even brag about for Nvidia users. Said program this and that. Same goes with AMD's 8350 Vishera that was purposely shot down by so many benchmark sites but when you test that CPU iteself it's awesome. A lot of PC gamers are starting to see a lot of bull$#@! on the other end and that's a good thing. AMD is a good company.

Dedicated Member

Ummm, what exactly is the rumor here?

Temash is basically a cut down PS4 APU. Same Jaguar core but only 2 or 4 cores. The GPU side is weaker, but I can easily see AMD pairing a 4 core Jaguar with an 8000M series GPU in the near future. That's not really a rumor, it's more like common sense. AMD would be stupid not to do it, especially since they've already completed all of the baseline R&D for it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Friend, I am only saying it could be a rumor in my mind that is all
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    No offence, but what the $#@! does even mean, you came up with the "rumor" in your mind? The people in your mind have started a rumor?

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Look focus on the thread at hand and not attacking me... this is from a site and i believe it could be a rumor and yes I might have worded it wrong

But $#@! happens... do you see others attacking me over my wording... I will take it out if it pleases you

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Look focus on the thread at hand and not attacking me... this is from a site and i believe it could be a rumor and yes I might have worded it wrong

But $#@! happens... do you see others attacking me over my wording... I will take it out if it pleases you
    wasnt attacking, I seriously wanted to what you meant by that, I have never heard that before. For the record it is a part of the thread, in fact its in the title.

Dedicated Member

Temash goes on sale next month. Retail tablets using Temash are to be formally introduced later this week. They were first publically demonstrated in January. Same basic APU but with a weaker GPU incorporated into it.

Like I said, it's not much of a rumor. It's pretty much already done. The PS4 is not introducing the Jaguar-based APU, Temash is. The PS4 is an extension of Temash (Or Kabini which launches in May, if you want to get really technical).
    Last edited by Completely Average; 02-27-2013 at 15:25.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Sorry mate I just got annoyed for a second there... I took it out and just left the title as it is now

Ultimate Veteran
    I think it will be fun, later in the generation, to buy a PS4 Super Slim and overclock the eff out of it for giggles.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    For those people who didn't read, this could sum up the article

He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."
    So, even an A series that's coming later this year ( A-6800k ) is not as fast as the PS4 APU.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    So, even an A series that's coming later this year ( A-6800k ) is not as fast as the PS4 APU.
    I would have thought that was a given though. Right off the bat all other Jaguar based APUs are 2 or 4 core. The PS4 is the only 8 core design. (With the possible exception of Durango which will probably use a very similar APU to the PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    If this does actually come out, it will be interesting to see where it benchmarks with current GPU and processors!
    What exactly? Jaguar based APUs in general or the PS4 specifically? I think you'll find Temash and Kabini benchmarks are very respectable for their applications (Tablets and notebooks) but well behind desktops and so-called "gaming laptops".
    Last edited by Completely Average; 02-27-2013 at 18:03.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    What exactly? Jaguar based APUs in general or the PS4 specifically? I think you'll find Temash and Kabini benchmarks are very respectable for their applications (Tablets and notebooks) but well behind desktops and so-called "gaming laptops".
    If they release the cut down version of the APU that is in the PS4, 8 core, HD 7850 type graphics, etc. I would be curious to see where it stands compared to other PC hardware. I in no way expect it to compete with high end rigs, but it will be interesting to see where it comes in at on the CPU/GPU food chain!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    I would have thought that was a given though. Right off the bat all other Jaguar based APUs are 2 or 4 core. The PS4 is the only 8 core design. (With the possible exception of Durango which will probably use a very similar APU to the PS4)
    I think you lack reading comprehension. It said even better than the A-series that is coming out soon, Not jaguar. Do you even know what is the A-series? if you don't look it up cause i won't bother myself explaining to you. Jaguar is not like the A-series, A-series is for desktop or laptops.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    I think you lack reading comprehension. It said even better than the A-series that is coming out soon, Not jaguar. Do you even know what is the A-series? if you don't look it up cause i won't bother myself explaining to you. Jaguar is not like the A-series, A-series is for desktop or laptops.
    I think you're the one that lacks comprehension.

THE PS4 IS JAGUAR.

Therefore the A-Series is in no way related to the PS4 APU, and has NOTHING to do with this discussion.

Or do you not understand the basics of the APU in the PS4?
    Last edited by Completely Average; 02-28-2013 at 02:37.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz

THE PS4 IS JAGUAR.

Therefore the A-Series is in no way related to the PS4 APU, and has NOTHING to do with this discussion.

Here's the quote again from the article
    He said, "Everything that Sony has shared in that single chip is AMD [intellectual property], but we have not built an APU quite like that for anyone else in the market. It is by far the most powerful APU we have built to date, it leverages [intellectual property] that you will find in our A-series APUs later this year, our new generation of APUs but none that will quite be to that level of sheer number of cores, sheer number of teraflops."

Master Guru

THE PS4 IS JAGUAR.

I don't see what you are getting at when AMD said it was part of the APU A-series, which was stated in the article. We all know it's called "Jaguar" but it's still a custom A-series chip.

"While Sony revealed some information about the AMD APU that will power the Playstation 4, the details that were made public were all about AMD's technologies rather than Sony's. AMD told The INQUIRER that the APU used is a custom A-series part that has a mix of AMD and Sony technology."

What that means it's not a previous APU from the A-Series but more of a future APU from the A-series but customized by both AMD and Sony. This in it's case will change when AMD releases this for a desktop, they will end up making it 4 cores rather than 8. This would be because they already have an 8 core CPU which is the 8350 Vishera. Most likely by next year the APU's will be 8 core anyway. Jaguar doesn't mean that it's not part of the A-series. You are basing a CPU because of the name, not the technology that's in it which is more than likely based on the A-series even though it's customized.

You don't work for AMD so you have no idea what is in the PS4's APU considering they already stated it was a customized APU as well as not release the specs of the PS4's APU. So whatever you try to pass on as a fact is pure bull$#@!. If AMD says it's part of the A-Series, then that is what it is, it's their chip, they designed it. honestly lol
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-28-2013 at 18:07.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    If this does actually come out, it will be interesting to see where it benchmarks with current GPU and processors!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    Ummm, what exactly is the rumor here?

Temash is basically a cut down PS4 APU. Same Jaguar core but only 2 or 4 cores. The GPU side is weaker, but I can easily see AMD pairing a 4 core Jaguar with an 8000M series GPU in the near future. That's not really a rumor, it's more like common sense. AMD would be stupid not to do it, especially since they've already completed all of the baseline R&D for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agriel View Post
    No offence, but what the $#@! does even mean, you came up with the "rumor" in your mind? The people in your mind have started a rumor?

Wow, this little exchange is pure comedy.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    iam sure AMD WILL MARKET this set up a year or so after the PS4 launch but so far its a rumor

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Matter of fact I'd be crazy if I thought it wasn't a gaurantee that AMD create a mass produced variation of the PS4 chip

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Matter of fact I'd be crazy if I thought it wasn't a gaurantee that AMD create a mass produced variation of the PS4 chip
    I don't think Sony was impressed with IBM. lmao

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I don't think Sony was impressed with IBM. lmao
    Oh they were, they were.

btw come to think of it Toshiba has been involved with making the chip for every PS console till now. Bet they feel abandoned

Forum Elder
    Did he say it was by far the most powerful APU they built to date?

Is durango an apu? Didnt they build durango?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Did he say it was by far the most powerful APU they built to date?

Is durango an apu? Didnt they build durango?
    Durango is the next-gen Microsoft console. It's no more an APU than the PS4 is an APU. It's a console.

Thread Information